November 20, 2017, 05:00:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sometimes the Media irritates me  (Read 643 times)
old hot rodder
All-Star

« on: August 11, 2004, 04:27:53 PM »

The most recent of which times was this past weekend. In particular, why did the broadcasters insist on comparing Jeff Gordon's 4 wins with the drivers who have won 4 Indy 500's??
Before the race, Jeff was asked about this and stated that he didn't think that it was an apporpriate comparison.
  I certainly agree. Not to diminish Gordon's efforts and success at all, but the 500 is a different race with different cars and a different emphasis, to say nothing of being 25% longer. A stpid comparison in my book.
  Just for the record, I'm not a Gordon fan, but I believe that he is probably the most talented driver in recent Nascar history, by far.
  Thanks for letting me rant. Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 05:29:10 PM »

You know that interview with Jeff and his response brought new admiration and respect for him from me.  He is a great racer although one of my least favorite when it comes to rooting for a driver.

I don't know why they would make such a comparison when the types of racing and cars are apples and oranges.  Makes them look like the "gossips" they long to be.  That is a description i use for a lot of reporters and media personnel because I think you have to be into gossip in order to do that kind of work.   JMHO    :roll:
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 07:21:31 PM »

I suppose you are correct, Vivian. What ever happened to simply REPORTING news and events?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 03:33:27 PM »

i think jeff being from indiana also has something to do with his answer.everybody who grows up there knows you can't compare the two races the 500 stand alone in a class by itself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: