November 23, 2017, 04:10:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "We Race in Their Memory"  (Read 644 times)
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: April 01, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »

The reason why the USAR Hooters Pro Cup Series exists. Here's an article from USAR.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Myrtle Beach, S.C. - Fifteen years ago today, Alan Kulwicki, the 1992 Winston Cup Champion, Dan Duncan, Charlie Campbell and Mark Brooks, son of the late Hooters of America CEO Bob Brooks and brother of current Hooters CEO Coby Brooks, were lost in a plane crash on their way to Bristol, Tennessee.

"I would like everyone to take a moment today remember these men," said Gene Cox, USAR President. "They are the reason this series exists."

The Hooters Pro Cup Series was created as a living tribute to these "Four Champions" Each of them has a Championship Series event dedicated to their memory and the Four Championsí crest adorns every car that competes in the series.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 04:45:07 PM »

Lou, thank you.  I was to post something like this later today.

I was not a huge NASCAR fan at the time, but the reality that the defending champion of the biggest series in all of stock-car racing was taken from us was jarring.  And in a real sense NASCAR has never been the same.  He was the last champion driver to be also a team owner, perhaps for all time.

Cry
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 05:47:11 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:38:12 PM »

I miss Alan

Cry
sally
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:55:59 PM »

Watching the Hooters transporter leave Bristol after doing the 'Polish Victory Lap' was one of the saddest things I remember seeing.

Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: