February 24, 2018, 05:16:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comments By Burton  (Read 463 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: March 24, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »

I'm trying my best NOT to bash driver, Jeff Burton, but I have a real issue with comments he made during an ESPN interview that was shown both Friday and Saturday.  It was part of a story about Buschwhackers and their effect on the Busch regulars.  ESPN had comments from many Cup and Busch drivers about the dominance of the Cup drivers in Busch in the last few years.  Burton said something about fan complaints like "If they don't want to see Cup drivers, they need to go watch ARCA..."  I was just astounded by this comment! 

I know I've heard Burton say things about how he came up "the hard way" and others will just have to do the same thing.  I didn't like that comment because the situation in the Busch Series was nothing like it is today when he was coming up through it back in the late 80s.  To me, that comment showed a lack of concern for struggling drivers who want to make it into NASCAR, but won't be able to these days when over 50% of the rides are given to Cup drivers instead and Busch regulars have almost no chance to win a race anymore (and get noticed by a Cup owner).  It also struck me as someone who has a real short memory and has lost touch with the working class.

But this latest comment just smacks of arrogance towards the fan base and that really incensed me!

I've gone back and forth on Burton over the years.  I didn't like him when he was running for Roush because he seemed to be winning so much solely based on his equipment.  In fact, I believe he only won 2-3 races when he was running the Busch series full-time.  And then he came back "down" and got dozens of wins in Cup equipment (something I have never thought was much of an accomplishment for any driver).  But when Burton fell on hard times and stopped winning in either series, I felt sorry for him and began to like him mostly because he was the first to stand up and speak out about safety in 2001.  Then I was happy to see him get a second chance with Richard Childress. 

But after these remarks in the media that insult both drivers trying to get the opportunity Burton was fortunate enough to get and now to be distainful of the fans, he's officially on my "dislike" list again. 

Sorry for the rant and Dick, I apologize in advance because I know you like him, but I just had to speak out.

Cheryl "Ward was always my favorite anyway"   Wink
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 06:05:28 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:34:26 PM »

I also had a great amount of respect for Jeff Burton...until now.  That was very flippant. Angry

Why doesn't he start his own team like Dale Earnhardt, Jr. or Kevin Harvick have done and hire younger drivers to help them get noticed?  That would be much better in my eyes.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:26:25 AM »

Well, my feelings about Jeff's remarks were total shock at the time.  Now that I have had time to think about it, I guess I am not surprised but I am totally disappointed in a driver that I thought was one of the most objective and fair in Nascar.  Just goes to show you, we never know how people really feel, do we?
sally
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 01:48:34 AM »

Guess he's forgotten tha when he was running the Busch series he wan't competing against Cup drivers in cars provided by Cup teams.  How soon they forget.

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 03:07:11 PM »

This is interesting indeed. I have some personal knowledge of some things Jeff has done for fans which would certainly contradict the message which these comments seem to make.

On Claire B's show last night, several listeners called in about the driver they most respected, and Jeff Burton got the most comments, (favorable).

I gotta read these comments for myself. Sad

OKAY, I put out the word for more info on this interview and will let you know what I find out. (D ick the defense counsel strikes again!) Grin
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 04:15:22 PM by old hot rodder » Logged

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:36:03 PM »

all i can say is WOW. the grandson of friends of mine have helped jeff and his boys with their quarter midget cars and track on several ocassions and that was the last person i ever thought would say something like that. i don't think there is much pr spin you can put out to fix that one.

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 02:54:45 PM »

So far, all I have found out is that one of my fellow Burton fans saw the interview and says that Cheryl's quote is accurate, but that Jeff followed up by saying words to the effect that he hated to have to say it that way, but it was the way it is, (and that definitely sounds like Jeff).
 Can't find anything on the ESPN site.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: