November 21, 2017, 08:09:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The BS is starting already, and it's only the first race on ABC  (Read 644 times)
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« on: March 15, 2008, 06:06:41 AM »

According to my programming guide, "Countdown" will NOT be seen here on WLS-TV Chicago in favor of live St. Patrick's Day Parade coverage. Coverage will supposedly begin at 1:30 PM CT with the actual race coverage. This is just ridiculous, I finally enjoy "Countdown" this year with AB & crew but can't watch it this week because of my stupid O&O; you'd think corporate would force them to air the parade coverage late at night in lieu of network programming. (i.e., "Countdown")
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 11:05:48 PM »

Well thank goodness it was raining at Bristol or I would've been raving too.  The Baltimore ABC station was showing a local college lacrosse game (Johns Hopkins) which was scheduled to be over by 2, but had 9 minutes to go at that time and THEN went to overtime, so they didn't get to the pre-race show until 2:30.

I have always felt very fortunate to have a 2nd choice on network stations in this area and so when I saw the lacrosse game wasn't going to be over by 2, I tuned to the Washington ABC station and THEY had a frickin college bb game which wasn't even scheduled to end until 2:30 anyway.

As I said, it's a good thing it didn't seem like we missed much on the pre-race show anyway.  By the time, channel 2 in Baltimore switched to the pre-race, they were just finishing some sort of tribute to DJ.  As usual, ESPN has to merge all Cup stuff with Busch every week.  Just like that stupid graphic of "drivers who got there first win at Bristol" was a mix of drivers in all NASCAR series.  Just stupid...

Not much of a race and we appear to only be getting half of it.  Thank goodness the USAR season opener is tonight, so we have some real racing going on somewhere at least.

Cheryl
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 12:58:12 AM »

the one thing that i thought really drives home the point that there is not a da mn difference in the series, is that the announcers said the 120,000 fans they sold tickets to, were there to watch the stars of the cup series. when i used to go to cup races with the grandparents, we got tickets to see a race, not the cup drivers. hell, bobby and donnie allison used to come to cloverleaf speedway all of the time in the early and mid 70's to run late model races. so seeing the "stars" of nascar race on a saturday was no big deal to me.
hey for all the crap and wasted time of a prerace show. you really didn't miss anything that you wont see again on monday nights cup review show on speed.

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:28:12 AM »

you really didn't miss anything that you wont see again on monday nights cup review show on speed.

Naw, I don't watch that show now that they totally ruined it.   laugh

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 06:30:30 PM »

ABC7 here in L.A. showed everything, but what I am rankled about is the decision to move the post-race (after the Sharpie MINI 300 was shortened) to ESPN Classic.  ESPN Classic!  Once a distinctive part of the network "family," it is now the dumping ground for the shows that ABC won't air because of news (in the East) and ESPN and ESPN2 have no room for, either.

I put the event on tape, so I don't have the interview with Clint Bowyer after NASCAR finally gave up on the race. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: