November 21, 2017, 06:04:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Field Fillers" at the Rock  (Read 2145 times)
kgregg
Veteran

« on: February 23, 2004, 01:55:03 AM »

Three of these guys lucked out and cashed a big check for running a few laps well off the pace.  Carl Long had a spectacular wreck and totalled his only car.  His $55K earnings won't go very far towards building a new race car.  Wonder if he'll ever be a "field filler" again?  Hhmmmm...... Kevin
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 06:43:14 PM »

I really felt sorry for Carl.  I felt like telling DW (when he was talking about how nice Carl is and how he let him, dw, drive his car a couple of years ago when dw didn't make the field)to put up some money for him so he could race and the proceeds from his new book would make a nice sponser gesture.
texaspony
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 06:28:02 AM »

wouldn't you think someone at NASCAR would have noticed the 09 car had no pit crew? Who rolled it into inspection? $54K for 2 laps isn't a bad payday.
oldave
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 04:48:22 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
I really felt sorry for Carl.  I felt like telling DW (when he was talking about how nice Carl is and how he let him, dw, drive his car a couple of years ago when dw didn't make the field)to put up some money for him so he could race and the proceeds from his new book would make a nice sponser gesture.

To be fair to DW, there needs to be a reasonable expectation of a return on an investment, and Carl Long doesn't look to be a contender - not with only one car (assuming someone helped him build a new one).  So it would have to be a gift, and I guess it's possible someone will donate some time or money to help build Carl a new car - frankly, I think NASCAR should step up and do it, since they were the ones begging for field fillers, and Carl did absolutely nothing to get in the way, etc, and ended up with his car trashed.
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 12:39:37 AM »

You know, some drivers are just unlucky.  There are a few of them that always just seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  I think Carl, Shrader, Andretti, Park and J. Green are a few of them. What do you think?  Did I miss anyone?  Of course, some of them also invite trouble the way they drive but I won't name names.
texaspony
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 06:46:34 AM »

Well Vivian I will name a name. Johnny Sauter. Anyone driving near him is liable to be in real trouble. Ask Michael Waltrip about Daytona.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 01:45:59 PM »

Quote from: "texaspony"
I will name a name. Johnny Sauter. Anyone driving near him is liable to be in real trouble.

Can I get an "Amen!" from the congregation!

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 01:51:39 PM »

Vivian, you sure are right about those drivers!  I swore I'd never pick John Andretti again for my fantasy team because every time I did in the last couple years, he would wreck or be wrecked.  Now, he and Lepage are the only two possibly running every race in their group, so the choice is tough.  I made the mistake of picking Andretti last Sunday, and naturally, Lepage beat him.   :shock:   That's when I remembered my "no-Andretti" rule; a little late.

I think Ken Schrader is a great driver and does have the worst luck ever!  

Steve Park had so many problems after he first came back that any time he's anywhere near a wreck the other drivers single him out to blame, which is unfair in many cases.  Like the Daytona truck race where he was an innocent bystander twice and still got blamed.

Jeff Green - I think he has some talent, but is better suited to the Busch Series.  His ego seems to block his vision in Cup racing.  I have no idea how he has kept a Childress ride.  Same thing goes for Robby Gordon, except I wouldn't say he's even suited to BGN.  

Sauter - I think he's better suited to the short tracks.  Probably should have stayed in ASA.  Has some talent, but is certainly not ready for places like Daytona and certainly not WC.  After that wreck in the 500, I was sure he was gonna take out the whole field at the end of the Busch race.  Thankfully, he held on and didn't try to be a hero at the end.

Okay, now that I broke my own rule and talked about drivers, I've be quiet.   :wink:   Hopefully none of these drivers strike strong feelings in anyone here.  

Oh yeah, back to the original topic here, I agree DW should do something to help Long instead of putting all his money into a truck team for himself and to sell out to Toyota.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 09:23:48 PM »

Wanted to clarify what I meant.  I did not intend to say these drivers usually caused wrecks, but were usually the victims of someone elses screw up.  I would not even attempt to name the ones I think screw up more although some may be on that list.  :wink:  I forgot Johnny Benson.  He seems to be in the wrong place a lot, too.
Hope I wasn't too missunderstood.
Amen, Texaspony!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 12:03:45 AM »

I was reading Patty Kay's article today.  She makes up nicknames for all the drivers based on a play on words.  Some of them I don't like, but the one she had for Sauter was great!  She called him "Johnny Slaughter."   :lol:
sally
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 01:39:42 AM »

Hey.  Somebody has to pick up the slack without any Bodine's in the field this year!
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 03:16:22 AM »

And to think I haven't even noticed they were not there.  Of course the announcers never remind us of those things so how can we know what is going on if they don't keep us informed?  :twisted:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: