November 23, 2017, 06:40:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Interesting  (Read 914 times)
Vivian
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:18:19 PM »

I read the following on Jayski and thought it was quite interesting.  Thanks, Jayski!

Toyota's GM says #99 knew what it was doing with lid: Lee White, GM for Toyota Racing Development, said Carl Edwards' team knowingly caused a lid to come loose on an oil tank in his Ford because it increased the car's speed during Sunday's victory at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Edwards was penalized 100 points by NASCAR for the missing cover. Roush Fenway Racing has denied the infraction was intentional, saying a bolt broke because of a vibration. The team said it wasn't certain it achieved a gain in performance. White said the manufacturer's testing at wind tunnels in Germany revealed removing the cover on the oil tank (located in a steel box behind the driver's seat) resulted in 170 extra pounds of downforce, the aerodynamic measurement of keeping a car glued to the track. White also said video of a pit stop showed a member of Edwards' pit crew pulling on a right rear fender to open a 3-inch gap to an inner panel. Toyota testing showed that would create about 70 pounds of downforce, White said. NASCAR said the only issue with the car during inspection was the lid.(more at USA Today)(3-7-2008) Comment here

And the rest of the story from USA Today:

White said Edwards, who has won the last two Cup races, "was eating cars getting onto the straightaways anywhere he wanted to go" because of the extra 240 pounds of downforce, a roughly 20% increase to the 1,200 pounds of downforce typically generated by a Cup car.

"If you have 21% more downforce, that's like having 50 (extra) horsepower," White said. "There's absolutely something going on there where someone knew what they were doing.

"I must applaud NASCAR. Given the safety implications of opening that oil tank to the driver, the penalty could have been more severe."

White was skeptical of a bolt failure. "I guarantee you the cover bolts didn't fall out, because if they fall, the engine leaks and you can't run," he said. "If you want something to fall off, you fix it so it can."

Removing the oil tank cover would help improve downforce by changing the airflow around the car. Fox analyst Larry McReynolds, a Cup crew chief from 1985 to 2000, said teams have worked to enhance airflow for years. "Because if there's a half of a 10th of a second to be gained, you'll do it," he said.

But McReynolds added, "Nobody knows if Bob Osborne (Edwards' crew chief who was suspended for six races) did it intentionally.

"I hate it for the team and the sport," McReynolds said. "As much as people believe differently, NASCAR doesn't enjoy this. There's always the question of whether it's intentional, and NASCAR can't get into that.

"If you put the cover on the last part of the race, does Carl Edwards still win? I tend to believe yeah."

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:33:09 PM by Vivian » Logged
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 12:03:07 AM »

Lou and I just heard several quotes from Jack Roush on XM in response to this Lee White's accusations.  Veeeeryyyy interesting indeed!  Apparently the guy used to work for Jack and Jack implied he has an ax to grind.

Me?  I tend to think the guy is kind of like Tokyo Rose, spreading propaganda.   laugh  But seriously, Jack said he would take a lie detector test and have the crew chief and several others take one as well.  To quote Claire on XM, Jack was hopping mad about what the guy said.  He called him "an ankle-biting chihuahau..."  That's hilarious! 

It's so funny how I used to think Jack Roush was the devil - now it seems he's the lessor of two evils (in the American car vs the Toy battle).

Cheryl
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:04:43 AM by Cheryl » Logged
sally
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 02:57:03 AM »

I heard both Elliott Sadler and Jeff Burton say the bolts don't tend to vibrate out of race cars very often...not exactly accusing anyone of cheating...well, Elliott came close, at least saying it almost had to be deliberate. 

Sally
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 01:59:25 PM by Cheryl » Logged
shawn
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »

This was the same problem some Nationwide teams had at Daytona (I think).  With that being the case, I would think teams wouldn't try to sneak this past NASCAR as one would think NASCAR would be on the lookout for this.

sally
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 02:25:29 AM »

From the tone of this article, I'd say Terry Blount isn't exactly a jack Roush fan, either.  OUCH!

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=blount_terry&id=3283519

Sally
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 03:35:09 AM »

sounds to me like a disgruntled ex employee who still has some coals in the fire.. i am not saying the lack of properly securing the cover was intentional or not, but as has been noted on this board and on tv broadcasts, too many teams have been caught doing this in both of the top series. on a side note, the opening, when allowed to be partially uncovered does generate more downforce but also puts he driver at greater risk in the event of catastropic parts failure or severe impact. we have seen some hard hits with this new car and the safety features have done their jobs, but why put the driver at greater risk??? it is like taking two steps backwards after building a safer car

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 05:05:59 PM »

From the tone of this article, I'd say Terry Blount isn't exactly a jack Roush fan, either.  OUCH!

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?seriesId=2&columnist=blount_terry&id=3283519

Sally

You got that one right, Sally. But you know, whenever some one tells me to "just get over it", it always makes me wonder WHY do I have to get over it? Let some one else get over it.  Angry
 Blount was referring specifically to the Rockingham, Darlington, etc issues. He is entitled to his opinion, but, doggone, so am I. And I still feel that Baby Brian's most serious mistakes have been the changing of the schedule re those races.
  Get over it? Phooey! Angry

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 05:12:15 PM »

Yesterday, on Raceday, John Roberts read a statement from the Toyota guy and supposedly he recanted on what he said about Jack's team, now claiming he knows Jack would never do this.  Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth.   Huh?

When Carl's engine blew yesterday, I speculated that maybe the loose oil cooler lid was to prevent the engine overheating and it had nothing to do with increased airflow/downforce at all.   laugh

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »

I don't know what to think here.  On one hand, Lee White has an obvious ax to grind from his days at Ford.  On the other, the evidence he presents is compelling.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »

the evidence he presents is compelling.

What evidence?  As they always say, talk is cheap..."   Cheesy

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: