November 18, 2017, 11:19:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Announcers Looking for Sponsorship?  (Read 696 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: March 03, 2008, 01:37:34 PM »

From an article by Mike Mulhern at the Winston-Salem Journal:

"Drivers' uniforms are plastered with dozens of sponsorship decals, but keep an eye on the shirts of NASCAR TV announcers, because some of them are rumored to be trying to shop around the space for logo rights on their shirts to various racing sponsors - in effect offering to wear a sponsor's logo during telecasts in exchange for a fee, of as much as $250,000.

Some sponsors who have been approached by the TV journalists have expressed chagrin; however, some sponsors are apparently willing to pay for the extra TV attention.

A NASCAR spokesman said he was unaware of the issue and declined to say what the NASCAR's response might be. Of course, any such move could be considered an egregious violation of journalistic ethics.

Questions about TV journalism in this sport aren't new. But at Daytona, one top TV announcer raised eyebrows when he publicly castigated the general print-and-web media for what he considered negative reporting about some of this sport's top issues, such as the controversial car of tomorrow, sluggish ticket sales, and flat TV ratings. And earlier this weekend a TV executive sent out a five-point memo to TV announcers warning them of topics to specifically avoid - including ticket sales and TV ratings.

Sponsorship issues, of course, are a given in this sport, where the Pepsi 400 can become the Coca-Cola 400 with the stroke of a pen with enough zeros, and where even the names of the venues is up for bidding, like California Speedway's sellout to become Auto Club Speedway of Southern California. But sometimes things do go over the line - such as the proposed, but eventually canceled by NASCAR, move by Toyota to buy TV sponsorship time for Truck tour races by paying networks for the tag line "presented by Toyota." That would have made for the curious situation of, say, a Ford 200, with naming rights already paid for by that company to the specific track, being in effect renamed by the network, unless Ford or GM or Chrysler were to buy more commercial time themselves."

I've seen Spencer and the people on Raceday wearing shirts with the UnderArmor logo recently.  Aren't these people making enough money already???

Also, the item about one of the "personalities" commenting on ratings, etc. was clearly DW, so I'm wondering if he's the one looking for another $250,000 from a sponsor?  I guess he and his brother aren't getting enough money from the Toy cars to support their flailing race teams?

Cheryl
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 04:46:49 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:41:16 PM »

And on the same show (NASCAR RaceDay), Kenny Wallace wears a Jeg's logo.  (Jeg's, owned by drag racer Jeg Coughlin, is a parts supply warehouse.)  However, this is for a pre-race show that compliments the official telecast.  What Mulhern is probably writing about is if Mike Joy or Bill Weber or Jerry Punch, to give the examples of the lap-by-lap announcers, selling space on what they wear.

I also remembered the aborted deal with Toyota and SPEED Channel.  The first race was to have been the Chevy Silverado HD 250 at Daytona.  I saw the same absurdity of that deal that Mulhern has written about.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 07:46:13 PM »

And on the same show (NASCAR RaceDay), Kenny Wallace wears a Jeg's logo. 

Actually JEGS sponsors Kenny in his dirt track car (or something like that).  I don't have a problem with him wearing a logo in that case - just as any current driver would wear the logo of their NASCAR sponsors.

Cheryl
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 03:01:51 AM »

It would be funny of Mike Joy or Bill Weber signed a deal and the network pixilated the sponsor logo.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 12:57:52 PM »

Speaking of pixelating, I believe it was on Raceday that one of the announcers was out on the track demostrating something (I think it was sponsored by Allstate) and they pixelized the Nationwide logo on the track wall.  How absurd!  It's starting to look like "the insurance wars" are going to end up like the big Gatorade/Powerade debacle of a few years ago.  Did anyone notice that humongous Nationwide box on the top of the winners car on Saturday in Victory Lane?  That really looked like the bigger and bigger Powerade bottles we started seeing after Kenseth started knocking them off the cars that year.   laugh

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: