November 22, 2017, 08:25:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is Confusing?  (Read 424 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 29, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »

Was just looking at Jayski's Busch page to find some news on practice at LV and saw this item.  Kind of confusing that he says "we got caught cheating" in one breath, but then says they're going to appeal so they won't lose their crew chief.  I work in a quasi-legal field and in my experience you need some basis for an appeal, not just because you don't like the penalty...

"JR Motorsports Will Appeal Crew Chief Suspension: Dale Earnhardt Jr. said Friday his Nationwide Series team won’t appeal the points or money penalty handed down by NASCAR for an infraction discovered at Daytona. But JR Motorsports will appeal the six-week suspension of Chad Walter, crew chief of the team’s #5 Chevy. The team was docked 50 points and fined $25,000 for an illegal decklid found before qualifying. “The suspension is the toughest part for us, financially,” Earnhardt Jr. said at Auto Club Speedway. “To have to bring in a guy of crew chief caliber for a short period of time is pretty expensive. We’re going to see if we can get that part of it, at least, worked on a little bit. "I feel like the penalty itself is fair. The points and all that is hard to swallow, but it’s fair. It is what it is. We got caught cheating, and that’s punishment we deserve." But Earnhardt Jr. doesn’t want to lose his crew chief, so he will appeal.(SceneDaily.com)(2-22-2008)"

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »

I guess I am very confused, indeed.  I did not realize that Hendrick had sold/given or whatever the #5 Lowes car to JR Motorsports.  Was this part of the deal to obtain Jr as a driver or did Hendrick just put his #5 team under JR Motorsports or what?  I thouhgt they were two separate entities working together rather than one single entity named JR Motorsports.  Somebody explain please.....Thanks
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:57:30 PM »

The teams still have separate owners, but work out of the same shop in Mooresville, NC.  JR Motorsports is responsible for administering both teams.

I'm with Cheryl.  The basis for the appeal is weak and the comments sound hypocritical.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 05:51:19 PM »

My understanding was that the Busch operations merged and are under the JR Motorsports banner out of his new shop.  Yes, I'm biased, but I think this explains the better performance by the Navy team since obtaining the Hendrick technology, resources, management, etc. 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 07:27:30 PM »

I based those comments on the #5 team having Rick Hendrick as listed owner.  But that may just be for the first five races.  This could change after that.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: