November 20, 2017, 02:35:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first ever NASCAR race!  (Read 1657 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: February 24, 2008, 06:44:10 PM »

Yesterday, I went to Cali--oops, Auto Club Speedway of Southern California--to attend NASCAR racing for the first time.

At first, it was such a bargain: 500 miles of support races in the truck and Busch series on the same day.  I don't think any other track has ever tried that schedule before.  Unfortunately, as you all know by now, that plan wasn't entirely carried out.

But I went out and had all the fun I could at the track.  I went to the fan zone to see George Thorogood and the Destroyers during the Busch rain delay.  And I also attended the taping of SPEED Channel's Trading Paint, with John Roberts and Kyle Petty joined by print writer Bob Pockrass.  After the show, I got Roberts' and Petty's autographs. Cool

But the taping conflicted with the opening laps of the San Bernardino County 200 (truck race), so I was unable to participate in pre-race ceremonies.  I watched only from lap 13 on.

Being at a race in person is a whole different perspective from watching on television.  You see many things on the track that TV misses.  For example, I knew right away from looking at the scoreboard who the last truck was on the lead lap, and the first one lap down.  What I will most remember, though, is the sensation of speed as the trucks passed my position.  In fact, I will never forget it.  Also, I bought a Jimmie Johnson T-shirt for $25 plus tax.

But it's hard to leave the track happy when so many things went wrong.  First, of course, was the taping conflict.  Then there were the prices.  A hamburger, fries and Pepsi cost $14 and a Dove bar (ice cream in case you don't know) was $4.  The event program was $15!>Sad  Then again, the food I bought was a bargain compared to the Wolfgang Puck restaurant just off the start-finish line.  Among the items was a $15 individual pizza.

But when the Stater Bros. 300 was postponed, it got crazy.  NASCAR and Speedway officials announced a Sunday night reschedule, about 5:30 p.m. local time.  I don't care what excuse has been given publicly--it may rain again today, the cars have to go back to Charlotte to put in the Las Vegas cars--this stinks![throw up]  I do not have a ticket to today's Auto Club 500 and cannot stick around after it is over.  I feel even worse because part of my ticket promised me a ride in the pace car after the race.  It would have easily for me, due to family plans and simple logistics, if NASCAR had announced that this race would be held on Monday.  That's how it has always worked in the past.

Still, my father liked the place and doesn't mind going back.  The only obstacle, of course, is when the next race will be held.  And we all know when that is. Angry

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »

Glad you were able to make it to the track yesterday, Desmond!  When I saw how bad the weather was, I wasn't sure if you'd get to go or not.

Cheryl

shawn
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »

Congrats Des! 

You are right about how fast they are actually going, tv doesn't do that justice.  Another thing I noticed from my first cup race was how much brighter and better the cars looked in person then on tv. 

super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 02:06:23 AM »

des, glad you finally got to get to a race, too bad about the weather tho. that is one of the reasons i do not go to bristol anymore for the spring race. the last two times i was there is snowed

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »

It's now a Monday doubleheader due to more rain last night.  Same schedule as above.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 02:19:56 AM »

Glad you got to the track Desmond, and like others, am sorry the weather wasn't more cooperative:(  TV can't do justice to the sensory perception of a race...feeling the ground shake as cars pass by, the aroma of the rubber and fuel and above all (crank it up all you want) the noise.  TV just can't adequately portray the speed, rate of closure and closeness of the vehicles.  Seems you got a couple autographs, so that's cool.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:44:39 PM »

Des, glad you got to enjoy portions and got to meet those fellas.  Wish the weather had been better for you.  Did you take pictures?

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 11:26:21 PM »

Des, glad you got to enjoy portions and got to meet those fellas.  Wish the weather had been better for you.  Did you take pictures?

No.  That's because my father somehow lost two cameras that we were to have taken to the track - one for each of us.

Too bad because in addition to the race action, I could well have captured the whole breadth of the NASCAR experience.  Everything from the extensive sales midway to the George Thorogood concert in the Fan Zone.  It would have been a nice rainy-day activity.

drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 01:17:46 AM »

There is nothing like going to the track. Seeing, hearing and even feeling the cars go by as the green waves never loses it's excitement. I kind of understand DW's excitement as he waved the green flag at Daytona.
  The only thing that folks like Desmond will never experiance is the way the crowd reacted when Dale Earnhardt was announced during driver introductions. No driver has since received that type of reaction at any track I've been to, not Gordon not Dale Jr. I'm so sorry my parents first race was in the summer of 2001 and they never got to experience that.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »

Earlier I wrote that I could not take any pictures at the track.  But it turns out that I did pose with the #20 car at the Home Depot display!

Follow this link:
http://homedepotracing.fotozap.com/fzimage/photopage/924735_2450_924736_18ae38117a59c0d1a5467f9ea9239cd3.jpg
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:11:19 PM by Desmond » Logged

Vivian
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 09:17:19 PM »

Des, I could not get the link to work for me
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »

I have corrected the link, Vivian, and I hope it now works for you.

Also, I tried to post it directly to this thread, but I don't know how to do it.

Vivian
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 07:06:29 PM »

Got it, thanks.  Neat picture, Des
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: