November 23, 2017, 09:42:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driver change for Roush truck, somethings fishy  (Read 803 times)
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« on: February 20, 2008, 02:56:31 AM »

Joey Clanton is out of the #09 Zaxbys Ford and Travis Kvapil is in at California.  Roush  will "re-evaluate our plans" They wished Joey "best of luck" and "look forward to continuing our relationship with Zaxby's" This seems fishy. Zaxby's has been with Joey for several years including last year with the Wood Bros. Roush had no sponsor for the 09 ( I forget what # it was last year) Roush signs Clanton who apparently brought Zaxby's now Clantons gone and Roush has a sponsor. This does not seem right. Maybe there is more to come or this is okay with Joey.

This reminds of a few years ago when Roush hired Stanton Barrett to drive the #60 Busch car. Stanton did decent (2 poles) but the sponsor, that Barrett brought along, had troubles so Jack let him go saying they could not run with out a sponsor. Several weeks later he had a Busch car running with no sponsor and a Cup driver. When I went to the Roush museum/shops in 2004 there was NOTHING showing Barrett  drove for Roush yet there was info for everyone else who drove for Roush in NASCAR, IMSA and Trans Am.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:12:34 AM by drpep (brian) » Logged

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »

Very interesting indeed. Perhaps Roush didn't like Clanton wrecking two trucks and one teammate at Daytona?

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 01:46:22 PM »

Roush and the bigger NASCAR car owners are notorious for stealing sponsors from the little guy.  I remember when Joe Nemechek came to Cup with Burger King and a couple years later, Earnhardt had acquired the sponsor for Steve Park's car.  This is nothing new - I hate it, but it's something that's been happening for quite a while. 

As to Clanton, I've never been impressed with him from his time in ASA when he was having a fued with David Stremme.  I didn't see any smart driving from him most of last season the trucks and, like Lou, figure he destroyed too much equipment this past weekend at Daytona.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:03:28 PM »

I wish Joey Clanton well also.  If his performance Friday night was a factor behind his release, then perhaps he can learn something from this experience.

I wonder if the truck will still be Zaxby's sponsored or even car #09 because that has been the combination that Clanton has driven for some time, whether in late model or in the truck series.

Also, some clarification: Barrett did have two poles in 2003, but both were handed to him because qualifying was rained out.   Both rainouts were early in the season, so the 2002 points were used to set the lineup.  Greg Biffle had driven the #60 to the 2002 Busch championship.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:39:45 AM »

Also, some clarification: Barrett did have two poles in 2003, but both were handed to him because qualifying was rained out.   Both rainouts were early in the season, so the 2002 points were used to set the lineup.  Greg Biffle had driven the #60 to the 2002 Busch championship.
in reading brian's original post, i did not even come close to seeing any question about the validity or circumstances surrounding said poles. so i don't see why we are correcting a nascar statistic. it doesn't matter in anyway how the poles were credited. how many have gordon or johnson earned due to leading points at the time of a rainout??? please give these repsonses more thought
ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »

Ken, I am getting tired of having to apologize for everyone just about every other post I make.  I desperately need help. Embarrassed

Anyway, I have checked the entry list and it's still #09 and Zaxby's sponsored for Travis Kvapil this week.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: