November 21, 2017, 02:57:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Surprise Winner!  (Read 500 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 18, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »

I've never been much a fan of Newman's, but was cheering for him yesterday!  He did a good job saving his car until it really counted.  It's great to see an American-owned (again, I think) car company get the victory.  For so long there, it looked like it was going to be the Rice Burner Brigade.  Thankfully, that didn't happen. 

I wonder how satisfying it was for Kurt to push his teammate past Stewart?   laugh

But seriously, it was interesting to see a few Dodges team up to get past the foreign-owned manufacturer, especially since dyno tests this past week showed they had 15 more hp than Hendrick and 40 more than the Childress cars.  Not sure about he Fords and Dodges though.  Maybe 5 of them together compensated for the lack of hp.   Wink

After 450 miles of boredom, at least we had an exciting finish. 

Cheryl
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:02:35 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised with the outcome.  The new box doesn't seem to suck cars along side in as much as the older cars and allows the drivers somewhat more control, but I guess that leads to boring racing.....what COT/CORN race hasn't been boring?

I'm sure the bookies in Vegas are licking their wounds after the Super Bowl upset and then this:)

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »

what COT/CORN race hasn't been boring?

Martinsville last year?   Wink

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 06:25:03 PM »

I also must say that I didn't see Ryan Newman's win coming.  To me, his performance, and the fact that six of the top eight finishers were the Dodge drivers that had underperformed throughout much of the week, means that the whole camp was saving their stuff for when it counted.  And in racing, there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, I don't know what the bigger upset was: that Newman won or that only Dale Earnhardt, Jr. finished in the top 10 among the Hendrick Motorsports drivers.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 03:58:42 AM »

Cheryl, thanks for the reminder Wink  I haven't mentioned this before, but during Thanksgiving, my brother-in-law was telling me about his Bristol night race experience.  He'd never gone to it, but lucked into some tickets for the weekend.  He said the Busch race was one of the best races he'd ever seen....conversely, the Cup race was the most boring race ever.  He was terribly disappointed; much like my COT Martinsville experience.

Maybe, just maybe, the teams will learn this new set up and figure out how to make it racy.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: