December 15, 2017, 09:26:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USAR to Change Networks!  (Read 1204 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 19, 2008, 02:51:03 PM »

I, for one, am delighted they are finally getting away from SPEED!  Now they won't get preempted for Winston Cup practice or things like that.  Any other racing series is always going to play 2nd (or 3rd) fiddle to the 400-lb gorrilla of NA$CAR. 

Also maybe USAR can help Versus draw race fans to their network and help it grow like NA$CAR did for ESPN in the old days:

http://www.usarfans.com/article.php/20080215175716586

Cheryl
BrettBaldeck
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 05:21:02 PM »

Versus seems to be adding more and more racing content. I agree with you Cheryl, USAR might help the ratings on Versus. First Versus took the Dakar Rally from SPEED, now they have USAR from SPEED. At this rate, some day Versus might be a compeitior to SPEED.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:08:22 PM »

I also congratulate the ProCup Series on its new TV deal.  I hope it makes the programming easier to find that it was on SPEED Channel. 

I agree with Cheryl about the dominance of NASCAR on SPEED.  In fact, the network is devolving into nothing but NASCAR and reality shows. Angry

In addition, I hope that Versus gives the races more air time than it received on SPEED last year, when each telecast lasted only one hour.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 08:50:53 PM »

Never heard of that channel.  Will have to see if we get it.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 08:58:52 PM »

Never heard of that channel.  Will have to see if we get it.

It's either 606 or 604 on DirecTV.  What used to be Outdoor Life Channel I believe...

Edit:  I checked last night and it is on channel 603 SD and channel 604 for the HD version.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 04:56:51 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Benson23Fan
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 11:06:22 PM »

That's sad I don't get Versus here in Canada. It would be cool if one day USAR got a live television deal similar to ARCA.
shawn
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 02:25:27 AM »

I was wondering what you thought of that move Cheryl.  Not sure how many house holds get Versus's, but they are starting to develop a nice lineup of programming.

drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 02:58:33 AM »

Doesn't Versus have NHL Hockey? Will the race be live, taped or taped and edited into an hour show?

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
BrettBaldeck
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:33 AM »

That's sad I don't get Versus here in Canada. It would be cool if one day USAR got a live television deal similar to ARCA.

BensonFan. I read on wikipedia that OLN in Canada is pretty much the same thing as versus in the US. You might want to check the Canada OLN website to see if they have it on their schedule.
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »

I was wondering what you thought of that move Cheryl.

I can't speak for the misses, but I think it's a good change. As the years went along and USAR grew in popularity, it just seemed to me that SPEED started to make it more difficult for USAR to do business on the channel.

As a fast-approaching "old-timer", I can say that when I visit the Versus.com website, I am immediately turned off. Their target crowd is obviously a male viewer much younger than me and the "sports" they cover (aside from the few traditional ones) all seem like X-Game variety to me.

But if they can get the USAR TV package a decent timeslot, promote it, and help progress the series, I can tolerate the gap!

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 01:42:59 PM »

As I said in my original post, I'm delighted USAR is finally getting away from SPEED.  That network has continued to up their price for airing the races every year recently, in what I believe is an attempt to kill the series (because they present much more competitive racing than most NASCAR races and certainly ARCA).

At this point, USAR cannot afford to produce their races live - the cost is just too astronomical!  Trust me, I'd love to see that someday too.  IMHO, the move to Versus may make that possible in a few years.  IF the races bring the ratings to the network, maybe the network would be willing to help on the cost of live productions.  Because that was certainly something SPEED had no interest in ever doing.  For them, if it ain't NA$CAR, it doesn't matter. 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 05:50:14 PM »

Doesn't Versus have NHL Hockey? Will the race be live, taped or taped and edited into an hour show?

Yes, Brian, this is the same network that covers the NHL, and there are many other sports like the Tour de France and bull riding.

The shows will be tape-delayed.  How long they will last is not clear.  The original press release gives only a four-hour time window on Monday afternoons (much like a call to the cable guy!) laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 06:39:52 PM »

The broadcasts will still be one-hour this season.   Angry   
USAR and Versus have not settled on the timeslot yet though.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: