January 17, 2018, 11:10:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembering and trying to let go  (Read 619 times)
Vivian
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »

I remember Alan Kulwicki winning the championship as an owner driver.  I remember he wore one brown and one green sock to a sponsor social function.  He was cool...

I remember Dale Earnhardt, Sr giving the leather jacket he was wearing at the time to a pregnant lady who had been standing in line in the rain for over 2 hours waiting for his autograph.  I remember the penny from the little girl and how he glued it to his dash before winning the 1998 Daytona 500.

I remember Davey Allison in number 28 and how he followed his Dad, Bobby across the line to come in 1st and 2nd at that Daytona 500

I remember 1971 when RJ Reynolds came into Nascar and then Winston Cup being "born"

I remember Bill Elliot winning that race to become "Million Dollar Bill" and Awesome Bill from Dawsonville"

I remember the big smile that Adam Petty always had.

I remember so many drivers we have had and lost...

Now I am going to try to forget that it is no longer Winston Cup, there are no buschwhackers, there is no Kulwicki, Earnhardt Sr, Davey Allison, Adam Petty and so many others as as well.

Today there is Sprint Cup with drivers who seem to fit the image of what the series has become because of changes in people and technology

Today there is the Nationwide Series who now have "Claim Jumpers" as that insurance company will pay many claims.

Next year, the truck series will change and I will have to try to forget Craftsman and call it something else.

One thing however, will never change.  There are memories that will never die, but that is all they are.  Just memories....
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 03:32:05 AM »

Vivian,
Thanks for those poignant  memories.  Yes, they are only memories in the one sense, but memories should be what defines our future; or at least in MHO.  I recall a quote "Those who don't remember the past are destined to repeat it" or something to that effect...repeating some aspects of our past wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing:)

James

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 04:09:32 PM »

poignant indeed. Thanks, Vivian Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »

Vivian, thank you! Smiley

What you wrote is exactly why I got into the sport so much.  From the beginning to around the year 2000, NASCAR defined the word "blue-collar" in sports.  When football, baseball, and basketball were at least perceived as corporate, NASCAR was approachable, friendly, and old-fashioned.

Now the realities of big-time sports have hit.  Will it produce another working-class hero like Earnhardt, Kulwicki, anyone in the Alabama Gang, or even Rusty Wallace or Mark Martin?  I doubt it.

When the Daytona 500 field has more past champions of the Indy 500 than the Indy 500 itself, something big is going on.  When the owners of the Montreal Canadiens, Boston Red Sox, and Arizona Diamondbacks are involved in NASCAR, we know we can never go back.  And I never thought that Michael Waltrip would reach out to a Swiss investment banker for financial help.

NASCAR is no longer an emotional investment, it's another ledger entry.  And that alone is a shame. Cry

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: