November 23, 2017, 12:48:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small view  (Read 372 times)
Smallblock bored
« on: August 06, 2004, 04:12:44 AM »

AHH YES ! The trip to Pocono proved to be yet another spectacle to be admired. One of NASCAR’s last great freedoms breaths well and good, as folks from every stretch of the fabric gather at the staging area for what is sure to be a wild adventure. Mother nature once again showed what a race fan she is and furthermore let down her guard to a sense of humor that had us all on the edge going away.
  The first step for anyone who has had the benefit of doing a “mad dash” on the infield side of the track, this one  had a twist. Being one the first 150 to arrive at the RT. 115 entrance we found that the regular theme was abandoned due to pending rain. A snake of campers, cars, trucks and vans waited out a hard downpour that showed every sign of a total wash for the weekend. After the rinsing the parade began as a few “sleepers” put the inspection line in shambles as ridge runners and late comers tried to cut ahead in the heat of battle. (sorry boys but you have to keep on your toes) Security booted back the surge but a few got through…hint hint. The line the night before waiting for the gates to part could rival any county fair. The shear atmosphere dares you to set aside any need for sleep.
 Once the call came it was off to the races inside the rolling and sunken, mudded pasture. A direct route took us to the 1/3rd mark of the second straightaway. This position offers a few advantages. The first is it provides a not too far walk to the turn one mud pit. The pit inside turn one is a place you must visit. From here taking in the first 10 to 20 laps proves a joy in itself. But the brass ring is to arrive having eaten with fresh bought event shirts at about 10:15 am. Being there far earlier is the best way but you will have to drag yourself away from the mud pit circus that is by far a show worth the dough, to get a shirt befor they sellout. The second is  the fact that the restrooms are not far off. Again it was "bad". The pending weather had man holes pouring over it was a bit sad for the females of the crowd as choices were limited. This was by far the worse of anything i've ever been to.
 Soon after the field separated it was back to the van top along the fence at the second straight for the duration of the day. Front row for Stewarts little mishap.
  I’ve heard talk that you miss a lot of the race watching at Pocono. That may be so but this week the show will be at Indy, where an entire bleacher puts the wool over your eyes. But apples and oranges and all the like fare no knowledge for any of the critics. For any of the fans who are to ever dip their virgin bread in the gravy of Cup racing, give the infield at Pocono a try and you will forever be bound to the glory and unbound freedom that is America.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2004, 12:30:06 PM »

Interesting recap of your weekend, Mike!  Sounds like you had a pretty good time.  Now, tell the truth, how long did it take you to get out of the infield AFTER the race?   :wink:

I've heard from another guy in NY who swears the infield at Pocono is the place to be as well.  

When I went there in 1989, we sat in the grandstands coming out of turn 3.  It was a unique experience because you couldn't see the end of the straightaway because of the haze and it being a mile away.  That was quite a odd experience, losing sight of the cars in the "Pocono Haze."

Traffic even back then was horrible.  For years, I measured the traffic getting out of every other track against Pocono.  It always came out the worst on the circuit until I went to Atlanta in 1995 for the last event of the year.  Now that's the yardstick for worst traffic on the circuit.

I always like Matt McLaughlin's comments that the folks from the June race are just getting out of the parking lot around the time the Cup guys come back for the second race of the year. :lol:

Cheryl
Smallblock bored
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2004, 11:00:11 PM »

As a custom me and my two kids just hang out in the infield after and cook a late dinner build a small fire then sleep over till monday morning. From there we head to Watkins Glen State park and get a campsite, most of the time int Onieda village and just hangout playing monopoly and chess...hike the gorge. The gorge at the park is wild, there is a waterfall you walk behind not to mention the many other falls,shoots apools that make up this natural wonder. If time and energy permit we stroll to BullyHill winery and take the tour. It's kid friendly and goes well underground to the big vats and then they can taste the juice. Corning museum of glass is great as well. you all must take a girl/guy there it is a great great place to visit. The whole trip is great and cheap, cheap, cheap...well Gasoline prices bite but ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: