November 18, 2017, 10:28:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brickyard Far From Sold Out  (Read 1154 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: August 04, 2004, 01:02:28 PM »

Just saw this article on Jayski.  It's pretty funny that this is supposedly one of the "biggest races of the year" and they can't begin to sell out the tickets after 10 years:

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/sports/9308880.htm

I know after my one visit there in 1994, I gave up a large block of tickets (I'd waited over a year to get in the lottery).  You couldn't see a damn thing except between turns 3 and 4.  

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 04:42:10 PM »

are you sure that the race isn't sold out cheryl? i was informed by a reputable ticket broker that no tickets remained for sale.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 04:53:14 PM »

I heard that you can't see well at that track.  My friend gets tickets every year and has told me that she can't go in 05 and I could buy her tickets if I want.  But you are not the first one to mention that you can't see the track very well.  Might have to pass.  Between the tickets, hotel and airfare, I would be spending alot of money to see nothing, :?

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Vivian
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 05:04:32 PM »

Interesting tidbit on Wind Tunnel about that last night.  Caller saying you couldn't see well so why was it so popular along with the Indy 500 and Dave saying that they probably kept selling out because that is all the fans there knew about how to watch a race or something to that effect.   :?

I think it is because it is Indianapolis and history and the place to be seen and say you have been there.  Who knows for sure?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 05:52:21 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
are you sure that the race isn't sold out cheryl? i was informed by a reputable ticket broker that no tickets remained for sale.

"Reputable" and "Ticket broker" seems a bit of an oxymoron to me, Ron.   :wink:  

Fans should always check the track web site or call the track directly before stooping to dealing with "brokers.  They're just scalpers with a more high-tone name for themselves.

That article was from Jayski today and the person was quoting track officials who said the race was not yet sold out.  I can believe it.  

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 06:16:53 PM »

you may have a good point cheryl i just like to go through a broker because they tend to bew faster.but i will take your opinion into consideration.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 06:22:08 PM »

you may have a good point cheryl i just like to go through a broker because they tend to bew faster.but i will take your opinion into consideration.

And you don't care about paying all that extra money that just goes into their pockets???  

Lou and I have had tickets to many tracks over the years and we've alwasy dealt with the track ticket offices.  I don't think they are particularly "slow."  Granted we don't wait till the last minute to make a decision to go to a race since we now have permanent reserve seats everywhere we go.  But even when I went to my first few races and called the ticket offices, I don't remember having any long delay in getting the tickets before the event.  Charlotte even has a "will call" window and you can charge them a few days before and pick them up the day of the event.  I'm sure other tracks probably do that too.

I just have a real problem with someone jacking up the prices on tickets that are already overpriced to begin with.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 06:27:33 PM »

Staci and I have gotten our tickets to both Martinsville and Bristol thru the track directly.  It really is the best way to do it, and definitely cheaper!  Why pay a third party to do what the track can do for you directly?  I know at Bristol last year the guy sitting next to me had gotten his ticket that way and paid about $100 more than we did!  Go right to the track web sites!
Sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 07:40:11 PM »

sally do the tracks require you to pick up your tickets in advance or day of race?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 08:25:04 PM »

sally do the tracks require you to pick up your tickets in advance or day of race?

No they normally would mail them to you at home unless you only got them a few days before (such as for this weekend) and then you could probably pick them up at the track.

Cheryl
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 08:45:59 PM »

We have gotten all of our tickets by buying them online at the track website.  They then mail the tickets to us.  How far in advance they mail them depends on the track.  Sometimes it is two months before and sometimes three weeks before.  Has never been a problem.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 09:35:13 PM »

okay thanks for the info guys
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2004, 12:03:43 AM »

I don't think Indy EVER sells out their tickets because you can't see around the entire track. It's very obvious when F1 is there, as they haven't had over 200,000 folks at the U.S. Grand Prix since 2001. I went to the 2000 U.S. Grand Prix and loved it, and I sat in turn 1 and couldn't see around the entire track. Would I do it again if I had the chance? Of course I would.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: