November 25, 2017, 10:47:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't they all just get along?  (Read 687 times)
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« on: February 09, 2008, 04:00:31 AM »

We haven't even had the first "race" of the year yet, and it seems Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart have already revived their feud.  It seems Tony bumped Kurt going into turn 3 during Happy Hour practice and spun Kurt out.  Kurt didn't seem too happy about the nudge and proceeded to bump into Tony a couple times after the caution came out.  Granddaddy used to say "The more things change, the more they  stay the  same" or is it Deja vu all over again?  Anyway, NASCAR is to make an announcement Saturday.

My blood pressure has risen to the point I can raise my eyelids:)

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:17:10 PM »

To me it was more the case of someone trying to squeeze their car where it wouldn't fit (between Kurt and the wall).  As they keep saying, it doesn't pay to win practice.   laugh  Greg Biffle seemed to give the best description of what happened in front of him.  Eventually TV seemed to agree with him.  I guess I just get tired of people claiming it's wrong to "block."  IMHO, it always been the person in front's position and the person behind's responsibility to try and pass safely. 

We were listening to XM since Claire actually gave some information about ARCA qualifying and had the Tivo paused on practice when all of a sudden she yells "big wreck in practice!" to describe the first one where Clint got into Ryan and collected half the field.

It's just a shame to see so many cars damaged this early in the weekend. 

TV kept trying to make this about the new cars, but I heard someone (I believe it was on the radio) point out that these wrecks had nothing to do with the new cars or how much they bounce.  IMHO, it was more a case of "operator headspace."

That said, I certainly don't hope anybody actually gets fined on put on super-secret probation before the season actually starts.  What cracked me up was Jim Hunter saying they just wanted them to forget about this incident.  I pointed out to Lou, the only thing that will ever make Stewart or Busch forget is to have that part of their brains removed.  Kinda like that movie "Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind."   laugh  It's sad too, because even before TV started showing highlights of the wreck between these two at Daytona last year, I was thinking about it.  Both these guys always run good at that track, but neither usually comes away with a good finish because of stuff like this.

My blood pressure has risen to the point I can raise my eyelids:)

Glad to hear that, James!  I knew something would get your blood pumping about racing again.   laugh  Me too!

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:13:19 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:22:21 PM »

That's "Super Secret DOUBLE Probation" for these two guys, Cheryl, Grin Grin
At least it got James awake enough to join us, and that is always good.

I was listening to Claire also at that time, and she got all excited about the "big wreck in practice". I figured that it must have been a pretty boring day otherwise. Smiley

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »

Ken Squire mentioned the alleged punch thrown by Stewart in the NASCAR hauler on NASCAR Live Saturday, but I didn't think they had any proof.  Then DW made some veiled remark like "I know what happened..." on air Saturday.  Of course he does...

Here's the latest from Jayski:

"UPDATE: On SPEED's NASCAR Live, Bob Dillner reported that he spoke with NASCAR's Jim Hunter that Tony Stewart and Kurt Busch met Saturday morning in the NASCAR Trailer and the meeting was cordial. It was also reported that Stewart may had thrown a punch in the NASCAR trailer Friday night after the incident, but NASCAR declined to comment on that and no more about possible penalties for either driver yet. Dr. Dick Berggren talked to Stewart during practice, who was very contrite and said it was part of racing and that what happened was over.(2-9-2008)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:14:36 PM »

Both have been warned to keep their distance from each other for the rest of Speedweeks.  Just wanted to bring you up to date on that.  This does not preclude the possibility of penalties that NASCAR could hand out today or Tuesday.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 09:57:02 PM »

Cheryl wrote:

I
pointed out to Lou, the only thing that will ever make Stewart or Busch forget is to have that part of their brains removed. 

Huh?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 01:24:07 PM »

Cheryl wrote:

I
pointed out to Lou, the only thing that will ever make Stewart or Busch forget is to have that part of their brains removed. 

Huh?

Just a joke Vivian, but I mean the part with the memory of this and their past incidents...  laugh

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 07:48:44 PM »

Just remembered it was Tuesday (when most penalties are announced) and saw this on Jayski:

"UPDATE 2: NASCAR is placing drivers Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart on probation for six races, beginning with Sunday's Daytona 500. The punishment follows a confrontation between the two former series champions, who wrecked in practice last week and then carried it into the NASCAR officials' trailer. NASCAR says the probation stems solely from the on-track portion of their clash, when the drivers deliberately used their cars as battering rams.(Associated Press)(2-12-2008)"

I'm glad to hear they simply got NA$CAR's infamous "super-secret probation."   Grin 

I'd hate to see anyone lose any points over something like this before the season even starts - especially Kurt when Penke gave his 2007 points to Hornish.

Edit:  Also, I'm glad to see they are not in the same Twin 125 on Thursday, so hopefully they'll both leave there with intact cars and not have to go to back-up cars on Sunday.   laugh

Twins starting line-up from Jayski:

http://www.jayski.com/stats/2008/grids/2008duels-grid.htm

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:51:44 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: