November 19, 2017, 08:47:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback on NASCAR Now  (Read 3390 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: February 06, 2008, 12:56:00 PM »

I thought I'd resurrect this thread, so we have a regular place to give feedback on this show.

I recorded the show last night since I always forget when it is on, but did get a chance to watch it later (since there's nothing on to watch in primetime these days).

Ryan Burr does a good job, but it's still clear he's reading from a script.  I guess, to me, that's always been my biggest complaint about this show:  it's too scripted.  It's never really been a daily "news" show and that's really what I want to see - something like RPN2Nite used to be.  This show is nothing but features and interviews with canned questions. 

Last night in their continuing "10 greatest Daytona 500s," they had Bobby Allison on to talk about his win in 1988.  It's still just painful to hear him talk about how he has no memories of beating his son to the line at Daytona in 1988. 

I'll probably watch the show again to see the interviews with other remaining winners of their top 10, but otherwise, the show really provides me no news and that's what I think real fans are interested in; not "features" and 10 silly questions with drivers.  IMHO, ESPN might have a better host line-up, but the people in Bristol, CT still don't have a clue.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 07:07:44 PM by Cheryl » Logged
sally
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:59:41 PM »

So far I don't see much to recommend this show.  They managed to mispronounce Patrick Carpentier twice (ala Rusty?), and the questions to Bobby about winning the 500...right after saying he has no memories of it because of his accident, was rather upsetting.  So far, unimpressive.

Sally
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:35:16 PM »

I agree. I try to give the show a chance, but it just sounds too forced as though no one in Bristol truly understands NASCAR. They feed a lot of fluff but fail to cater to the true fan who would like to hear some worthwhile information. I really wish this show would get on track; I had so much hope for it when it was first announced, but it continues to disappoint.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 12:44:54 AM »

They managed to mispronounce Patrick Carpentier twice

Now see, I wouldn't even have noticed that had I not read complaints about it elsewhere (and then watched that part afterwards).   laugh

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 08:00:39 PM »

I noticed that all of the comments so far have come from the first week.  Well, I think that NASCAR Now has improved greatly this week.

Although there is still some fluff, especially in the hour-long time slot, there have been better features and interviews.  Brad Daugherty's two-part feature on the transition of Petty Enterprises was great.

Back to the first week.  I really feel bad for Bobby Allison.  First Bill Weber and now Ryan Burr give interviews with him that appear to be very insensitive.  I would hate for Bobby to turn down future requests after these.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:01:30 PM »

I noticed that all of the comments so far have come from the first week. 

I haven't actually watched it at all this week.  I think I still have a season pass on the DVR in the other room and I'd like to see how Allen did on Monday, so I may still watch it.  Otherwise, it's something I'll probably delete.

Cheryl
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 01:27:04 AM »

I caught much of last night, and I agree with many others that it was much better than any other edition of NASCAR Now to date (aside from the Bestwick-hosted shows). I caught only the last 15 minutes tonight, but what I saw seemed to be solid. The show concluded with an interview with Kevin Harvick, and unlike most of what we saw last year, Burr stayed on-task and asked relevant, useful questions. IMO, Burr really did take the momentum from Monday night and carry it into the present. Unlike before, it seemed like Burr was presenting the show comfortably instead of reading the prompter like a robot.

I know they've done better than ever this week, but what I'm worried about is next week when Nicole Manske takes over the primary hosting duties combined with the lack of all of the Daytona "lead-up" material we're getting this week.
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 09:09:31 PM »

I did watch this show yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The round table type sitting structure made it more enjoyable that one host just standing and reading a script and showing some video.

Alan Bestwick was great and I sincerely hope he continues to host.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 01:20:13 PM »

I was flipping throught the guide on DirecTV last night and happened to see NASCAR Now was on, so I flipped to it (about halfway through the one-hour show).  Wow! I couldn't believe this was the same show we've seen for the last year!  This was the first time I'd seen Allen Bestwick host or the Monday night race review. This was the first time I'd seen the "roundtable" discussion on Monday and I couldn't help but feel it was very close to the orginal Inside Winston Cup on Speedvision!  Joining Allen were Boris Said, Mike Massaro and Ray Evernham.  We had Allen's calm and organized style leading the discussion of highlights from the Busch and Cup races and insightful comments from actual live people and an interactive discussion. 

They seemed to use a Beyond the Wheel style of race highlights (with mostly PRN commentary).  I'm assuming this was produced by NASCAR Images, who always do a fantastic job.

I haven't watched the new SPEED show since the first two horrible episodes, but certainly didn't feel I was missing anything last night after seeing Allen and this group.  ESPN finally got it right (for at least one night)!    Great job, guys!

Cheryl
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:22:08 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »

NASCAR Now Monday is far superior to This Week in NASCAR. Smiley

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 01:55:09 PM »

Last night's show was really enjoyable!  Not sure how many folks watched it since it was on at 4:00 because of basketball, but I recorded it and thought it was a great show.  SO reminiscent of the old Inside Winston Cup!  Especially since Allen had Johnny Benson on as part of the panel last night.  Also, were regulars Ray Evernham and Mike Massaro. 

Granted it wasn't the knee-slapping humor of the old IWCR, but Ray came up with two of the best lines of the night.  One was about Stewart blasting Goodyear after the race.  Ray said "he used a nuclear bomb to burn that bridge."   laugh  That was hilarious!

Then later when they were showing a clip of Elliott Sadler holding what looked like a press conference to comment on the 99 team's penalty.  This is the first I'd seen of this clip and it had me asking Lou "what is he doing holding a press conference on another team's penalty anyway???"  Right after that, Allen said something about all the caustic remarks from everyone on this issue (particularly the Toyota guy).  Then he pointed out how some of Ray's people  were involved in some of the remarks and Ray says "Yeah, I had old Ricky Bobby there talking."  It took me a minute to remember that Elliott drove for him now.  Pretty funny to hear him call his own driver that.   laugh

Overall, an excellent "roundtable" with some good race highlights and discussion by guys knowledgeable about the sport.

Cheryl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: