November 20, 2017, 02:40:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 24 Hours of Daytona presented in widescreen (possibly HD) on SPEED  (Read 871 times)
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« on: January 27, 2008, 04:04:40 AM »

To my surprise, SPEED is presenting the Rolex 24 in widescreen, and it looks like some of the cameras (but not all) may even be HD. Without a doubt, all of the graphics are in HD, but to my dismay, they're using the same design that premiered in 2006. I'm not really a fan of this graphics package; IMO the one used prior to 2006 was much more efficient, and I was really hoping for an entirely new, cleaner graphics package when they moved to HD.
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 05:57:09 PM »

this is my first auto event on the new 71"inch hdtv!!! all i can say is holy crap lois!!!!!!!!! so looking forward to seeing the cup, busch, and truck coverage in HD.

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
BrettBaldeck
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 08:35:05 PM »

I am also suprised SPEED did not change their graphics for HD. I figured they would be. Like you Steve, I like the orignal SPEED graphics back from 2002. They were simple and easy. But maybe SPEED will premiere new graphics when HD is offically launched and NASCAR coverage begins?
shawn
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:11:14 AM »

Don't get Speed HD yet, but the hour or so that it was on Fox was nice. 

Enjoy the new TV Ken.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 06:39:37 PM »

I really don't think SPEED is doing anything in true HD yet.  Yes,  it was widescreen and looked a lot better than the SD feed, but as people call it on my A/V forums, I believe it was simply "stretch-o-vision" where they stretched/projected a standard definition broadcast so that it would fill out a 16 X 9 screen.

On our TV, the picture was much more soft/washed out looking than the picture on Fox earlier in the day. 

Also, I checked the "status bar" for information and SPEED did not list it as HD.  As far as I know, there first true HD broadcasts will be on 7 Feb.

But all that said, it was still better to have a full screen instead of those horrible sidebars - and a better quality picture.   Grin

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:45:02 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Steve
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 12:16:33 AM »

I don't think it was stretch-o-vision; at the very least, all of the cameras were SD 16:9, but I did see a few shots that had HD-esque quality. I'm thinking they might have sneaked a few HD cameras in there as a test run.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: