November 22, 2017, 03:41:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The King Speaks Out  (Read 860 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 25, 2008, 03:14:42 PM »

Not sure if anyone else saw Pre-Season Thunder on SPEED last night, but they had some very candid comments from Richard Petty about the influx of open wheel drivers.  Glad to see a true icon of the sport speak up and say that they aren't bringing anything to NASCAR.  He also pointed out how poorly the open wheel series are doing and that's why they are invading NASCAR.  He sai dhe didn't feel they were going to bring in new fans like BF so hopes and pointed out how they are taking rides from kids with stock car backgrounds (my own main objection).  If you get a chance to see his interview, it's well worth hearing.  I can't remember his exact words, but if I can find them someone on the internet, I'll post them.

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »

A lot of it is quoted here, Cheryl.

http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2008/01/richard-petty-speaks-his-mind-on-speed.html

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »

I saw that article, but I don't see where they covered his comments about the open wheel drivers at all. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:27:05 PM by Cheryl » Logged
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 01:16:28 AM »

Open wheel drivers like Christian Fittipaldi?

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »

Open wheel drivers like Christian Fittipaldi?

Well you see how well that worked out for both parties.   laugh

I'm sure he brought money and that's the only reason the Petty's hired him.  Obviously the money didn't offset all the wrecked cars.

Cheryl
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:01:50 AM »

I really liked the comment about the open wheel drivers bringing  their fans with them.  I'm a NASCAR fan and if my favorite driver goes to IRL or F1, I'll just have to find another favorite driver in NASCAR, just as I've done ohh so many times in the past years due to death, retirement (the drivers'), etc..  I'm a NASCAR fan first and I pick a driver and/or drivers from those participating in NASCAR.  I really don't see hordes of IRL or F1 fans flocking to NASCAR to follow their favorite driver.  The only exception I can think of is Danica...if she came to NASCAR or even went to the bathroom, I'm sure her fans would follow.  Conversely, I'm sure a lot of the Junior Nation would follow him to IRL, F1 or tiddly-winks.  There is a common thread there; most fans of either driver can't name another driver in their respective series (Junior fans apparently know Jeff Gordon).  The bottom line of my endless drivel is; few drivers have a cult following outside of their respective series and that may not sit too  well with the open wheel drivers egos..

OK, I hope this isn't bashing but I just felt obligated to say something:)

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 01:36:06 PM »

I'm a fan of stock car racing, not even just NA$CAR.  And a fan of most of the drivers in all the stock car series.  So, like James, I wouldn't follow any of the drivers if they left stock cars. 

Conversely, I found it extremely boring to watch the 24 Hours of Daytona (or however many SPEED chose to televise) this weekend, even with a couple of stock drivers in there.  When the lead car had 4/5 laps on 2nd place for the last 8 hours, I hardly call that racing. 

Although it was nice to see some Pontiacs out there, even if I could barely recognize them.   Roll Eyes

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 06:27:03 PM »

NASCAR is in the middle of a huge culture clash and we'll have to see how it turns out.  Certainly, those who are into stock-car driving and who dream of someday being part of NASCAR cannot like the open-wheelers cutting in front of them.

Then again, this is what happens when everything is done in the name of money.  Someday, most of the rookies will come to the Sprint Cup, or even lower series, as much because they can bring money and sponsors to the team as much as for their talent.  It's already happened a few times.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:32:47 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 11:33:32 PM »

I have always continued to feel that the Rolex 24 is an endurance race so I always watch it that way.  To me it is neat to see both man and machinery hold up under that hard running for 24 hours.  Takes a lot of strategy and planning, plus testing to get the endurance of the best cars and parts along with the drivers ability, especially in the rain.  The parts of it I watched were okay and the highlites summaries were good at catching me up on the parts I missed.  No hd for me, but the picture was good.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »

i pretty much agree with James' sentiments, although I am a "stock car" fan, like Cheryl says as opposed to a Nascar fan. It has only been since Nascar became mainstream that I have had to make that distinction.

As to the Rolex, I can tell you from experience that the best place to watch it is on closed circuit TV in the Daytona club with good food and drink. When you want some atmosphere, you can go out side and hear the cars for a bit. Grin
 I heard that they had a pretty good crowd there this year.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: