November 24, 2017, 05:56:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Age Limits  (Read 887 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: January 18, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »

We talked about this in the chat the other night.  Here's some more news from Jayski.  To me, it sounds like NA$CAR's main goal is to try and get more following for the Busch Series, but IMHO that'll never happen until they limit the whackers.  Perhaps they could institute a "maximum" age limit for Busch?  Like 30 or 35 years old.

"NASCAR sources confirmed Wednesday that the sanctioning body is considering raising the minimum age for drivers racing in the Sprint Cup Series from 18 to 21. Currently, drivers must be 18 to compete in the Cup, Nationwide or Craftsman Truck series. If a change is made, drivers between 18 and 21 would remain eligible for Nationwide and Truck competition but would have to wait to make the move into stock-car racing’s top series. There are concerns that young drivers are being moved up through the ranks too soon, and that more time in the second-tier series would give them time to develop their skills on the track and to mature off of it. Such a change could, theoretically, also bolster interest in the Nationwide and Truck series, since it would ensure that promising young drivers could build fan followings and attract sponsorships while competing at those lower levels.(Thats Racin)(1-18-2008)"

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:07:14 PM »

Cheryl wrote:

Perhaps they could institute a "maximum" age limit for Busch?  Like 30 or 35 years old.

I am assuming you mean for the whackers?  Good idea

Do you think maybe they are slightly seeing a bad turn in their rules or ways?   Naahhhh, not BF
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »

Yes, I meant to keep the whackers out.  Sorry, didn't make that clear.

Last night on XM, Claire was covering Busch testing at Daytona. She was talking to Brad Parrott and he felt confident that NA$CAR was going to make the proposed changes to the points for whackers next year.  Unfortunately, it sounded like if a whacker chooses to run the entire season, he would still get points.  Kinds of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?   Roll Eyes

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »

At least the age limit is a step in the right direction.  Not only would it hep keep some of these young drivers get chewed up and spit out of the Cup series so fast, but it might help the Busch series develpe it's own identity again.  If Cup teams are having to put their development drivers in the series for more than one season, at least it might keep some of the Cup regulars out of it.  A small step, but a good one.

Sally
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 05:55:31 AM »

like i predicted in chat about this topic, my sources say nascar is in discussion to replace sprint after the 2008 season. anheiser busch with the budwieser brand is heading that conversation, hench the age restrictions. you must be over 21 to legally comsume alcohol in all 50 states.(not necessarily beer, but alcohol) but the image of moving up to the  big leagues has to be that of responsible advertising.

this will be interested as i read in this morning's business section that sprint is laying off 700 more employees, closing many of its retail outlets and nearly all of it's smaller kiosk type locations in a effort to save 400-600 million (yes i said million) this fiscal year. looks like alcohol and southern racing still really belong together

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
sally
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 01:02:26 PM »

Great info ken, thanks.  I have to admit that to me, Sprint is tarred with the Baby Brian brush.  And, I would find myself gloating more than a little bit to see yet another of his 'huge deals' go south (so to speak) on him.  At least Annheiser Busch has a long history with Nascar, dating from the 'glory years'.  maybe they would like to see the Southern 500 back in Darlington on Labor Day.

Sally
shawn
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 02:28:43 PM »

this will be interested as i read in this morning's business section that sprint is laying off 700 more employees, closing many of its retail outlets and nearly all of it's smaller kiosk type locations in a effort to save 400-600 million (yes i said million) this fiscal year. looks like alcohol and southern racing still really belong together

ken

I thought the number of employees being laid off was around 5000, either way if they are having this much trouble then it will be harder and harder to justify the $75 million a year to sponsor NASCAR.

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:42:58 PM »

Ken, those are great points. I never thought that Nextel/Sprint could make the whole 10 year deal anyway, so it would not suprise me to see them ease out.
  Sally, I agree that the 21 year old limit in Sprint is a good start.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 05:34:19 PM »

shawn you are correct, 5000 is the magic number. 700 is the number of outlets effected by closure.

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »

Whether the proposed move is due to the need for driver maturity or as a way to usher in Anheuser-Busch as the new sponsor, it makes sense either way.  Driver development would mean something again.

But I am confused.  Why get Coors as the new beer sponsor, then talk to a competitor on the side? Huh?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 08:43:51 PM »

There's an update on this from NASCAR at Jayski today:

"Change not near in Sprint Cup age limit: NASCAR president Mike Helton said an age requirement change for the Sprint Cup Series is not imminent, but NASCAR officials still are considering 21 as the age rule for future entry into the series. "If we do this, we will give plenty of advance notice," Helton said Thursday. "And we would have an adjustment period before it was implemented." Some people have assumed the idea of making the change was directed at teenage racing phenom Joey Logano, who will compete in NASCAR's Nationwide Series when he turns 18 in May. Logano is considered a rising star who could compete in Cup next season when he's still 18. "This is not the Joey Logano rule," Helton said. "In fact, whatever we do probably wouldn't affect him." Helton didn't get specific, but it's possible some drivers under 21 would get grandfathered in if the change happens. It's also possible the change would not go into effect until after Logano turns 21. Sprint Cup does not have any drivers until 21 this season. But several current drivers were racing in the series before they turned 21, including Kyle Busch, Reed Sorenson, Brian Vickers and Kyle Petty.(ESPN.com)(2-7-2008)"

I'm thinking because Logano and Marc Davis are both in driver development deals for Gibbs that NA$CAR decided to hold off on this for a while.   Wink

I'm still against an across-the-board age restriction.  I think every driver should be judged on his experience, maturity, etc. regardless of age.  IMHO, there are some 35-year-olds who show less maturity on the track than I've seen from Logano and Trevor Bayne in the Hooters Pro Cup Series (when each was only 15-years-old).

Cheryl
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:46:58 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: