November 18, 2017, 11:20:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Franchising  (Read 461 times)
sally
« on: December 29, 2007, 09:33:26 PM »

Good article by Monte Dutton

http://blogs.gastongazette.com/MonteDutton/archive/2007/12/28/the_franchise.aspx

Think it's surprising it's tilted in the favor of Nascar?

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 06:46:08 PM »

Sally, I suspect that Monte feels, as I do, that auto racing is fundamentally different from other "sports" to the extent that franchising would be silly.
 On the other hand, I disagree with him that there are "compelling" arguments on both sides of the issue. The argument, for instance, that franchising would significantly increase the "entry " barriers is rediculous. How many  new teams have started in the last few years? W/out Toyota's  big checkbook, would Mikey's team still be around? Not based on performance it wouldn't be.
  The current points arrangement is close enough to franchising, closer than it should be, and Roush and Evernham certainly found investor interest in their "teams". DEI effectively did also.

Oh well, JMHO. I don't really understand the business of racing when so many dollars are involved anyhow. Sad

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:27:59 PM »

The current points arrangement is close enough to franchising, closer than it should be,

I agree with Dick.  It's bad enough with the top 35 rule and owners points provisionals as it is.

Cheryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: