November 18, 2017, 03:03:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Better Idea?  (Read 735 times)
sally
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:14:54 PM »

Apparently you don't have to be a hard core race fan to hate the crapshoot.  this guy has idea that at least keeps more teams involved.  Not bad...if we can't have a REAL race season.

http://www.closefinishes.com/cgi-script/csArticles/articles/000004/000482.htm

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 04:28:45 PM »

Good article, Sally!  Thanks for posting the link.

You're right about people besides hardcore fans not liking the Chase either.  I was recently talking to my sister.  She asked me if the race season was over and who won the championship.  I told her Jimmy Johnson, but then explained that Jeff Gordon was over 300 points ahead before the Chase and how NA$CAR just took the points away from him.  She was astonished and said something like "well, that's really stupid."  This is probably the first time I tried to explain the Chase to a non-fan and I was quite surpised with the reaction.  Made me realize, we aren't the only ones who dislike the manufactured playoff.  So if the longtime fans don't like it and the fringe fans don't like it, what is the point?   Huh?

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:18:54 PM »

Sounds gimmicky, but I'd try it as an alternative to the present system if we must have a "playoff."

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 05:30:01 PM »

Interesting article indeed. All this gimmick stuff irritates me. Even now in college football, the media screams for a playoff, which I think is simply not needed. Think about this scenario in the BCS mess, for instance:
              Ohio State Plays LSU in the big game;
              Illinois plays USC in the Rose Bowl;
               Illinois has 3 losses, but beat OSU (who is 11 and 1) in Columbus;
              USC has 2 losses;
              Now, just suppose tha Ohio State wins, and that Illinois beats USC, then I think that Illinois has quite an argument that they are the champ because they beat OSU!!
              But should a team with 3 losses be the Nat. Champ? I don't think so.

The same scenario could play out in Nascar. Should, say Greg Biffle, or Ryan Newman, who have just run so so during the ist 26 races, have a chance to get hot and win over Gordon et al??
              Again, I don't think so.
                JMHO, Vivian Grin Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:50:37 PM »

How exciting that would be, Dick.  An underdog driver as champion.  Wow!    Wink  But not for this fan who is slowly becoming a past fan.  I hate the crapshoot.  But unfortunately, to quote Mr. Helton, "It is what it is".  And coming closer and closer to alienating long time true fans of Nascar racing.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 12:45:42 PM »

Vivian,

I don't quite consider Newman or Biffle "underdogs."   Wink  They both come from multi-car top teams with lots of $$$$.  And while they didn't have stellar seasons this year, they have both been multiple winners in recent years. 

Now Ward Burton, Robbie Gordon, David Gilliland, Ken Schrader are underdogs, but then we'll never see their small teams even contending for the top 10; probably not even a top 15 the way things are these days.  It's sure different from NASCAR I learned to love in the late 80s/early 90s when teams like Morgan-McClure could easily finish in the top 10. 

Cheryl

sally
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 12:50:01 PM »

This seems to be a consequence ofan ill considered remarke by BF about 4 teams per owner being a 'good number'.  It turned into a mandate, and has shut out the smaller teams who will be unable to compete with the big buck teams.   How different would things be if he had mentioned the number 2 instead?  Open mouth insert foot seems to be his lifestyle.

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 09:50:50 PM »

I used "underdog" to refer to any driver who did not finish in the top 10 or 12,  but didn't necessarily mean they were actually 'underdog' drivers as my phrasing came out sounding like.  Sorry I put that in the wrong context.   Undecided  And after re-reading my post, I also worded the other part badly.  Sorry....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: