November 18, 2017, 12:46:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craftsman Leaving After 2008  (Read 585 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: December 04, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »

Looks like NA$CAR is pricing every traditional sponsor out of their series.  This is sad...

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/388059.html

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 09:13:56 PM »

Very sad, indeed.  I think BF is just ruining these series as well as Cup.  Busch gone, now Craftsman and I will not be surprised if Nextel/Sprint lasts more than one more year.
super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »

The writing is on the wall with this announcement. brian france, mike helton, they can both talk the company line, but as they have no shareholders to be held accountable to, we will never know the true status of nascar. it is a shame that companies that have been around forever ( as sponsorship goes) have decided that they are no longer getting the bang for the buck. i understand the winston situation was more about federal law than the dollars spent. nextel was just like fox was when it came along, throw out the biggest hook and hope they bite. for the first few years of fox sports, coverage was not even mediocre. the team owners could care less about who was in the booth for each game as they got their cut of the money already. let the network go belly up, who cares, someone else will come along and want our product.  unfortunately, if it were not for the speed channel, i think nascar would have lost more fans than it already has. before i get too far off topic, if this does not make the car owners in all three divisions, not question the foundation of the sport they truly love and support, i dont know what will. the new mergers are for financial gain, no longer some rich guy who gets to live out his go fast fantasy as a car owner. You need to bring in a sponsor who understands that there are current sponsor competitors who are just as passionate about the sport and supporting it, they just don't feel that throwing 100-300 million into title sponsorship is a good idea.  competition in the marketplace will weed out those companies who cannot deliver on the promises of their product, not who has deepr pockets to sponsor a nascar series. who really benefits from the "offical yadda, yadda, yadda" of nascar? surely not you and i. do we get special discounts at mcdonald's or napa for being nascar fans? can the drivers call up their local state farm agent and say " hey, i have a nascar license, do i get a discount?" show me a company who honestly thinks that their "official" whatever of nascar has proved ,without a doubt, to be the best advertisement dollars spent and i will show you a company who has hookwinked it's stockholders.

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
shawn
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 12:34:44 AM »

Saw this last night, and was surprised.  You would think NASCAR would have worked to keep Craftsman on board, after struggling to find a replacement for Busch.

If NASCAR can only get what 10 million a year to replace Busch, how much do you think they'll get for the truck series? 

drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 02:14:02 AM »

Sears isn't doing so great financially. Sales keep dropping every quarter. The decision to leave may have nothing to do with what NA$CAR want from them.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 04:45:04 AM »

The entire NASCAR sponsorship scheme appears suspect.  I seriously doubt Sprint will be around as a sponsor five years from now.  Almost immediately after Sprint acquired NEXTEL, they began diversifying their operations (my home phone service went from Sprint to Embarq) right after the NEXTEL acquisition.  I'm not sure what that means, but I remember "Ma Bell" and see her coming back to life.

I see the Nationwide sponsorship deal as a last ditch effort to compete with GEICO and Progressive.  There again, I don't see the deal lasting much longer than a Super Bowl hangover without drastic changes to the current program.  I wonder, will this eliminate GEICO and Progressive (kick in AFLAC) advertising in the NASCAR broadcasts?

The truck series sponsorship will prove to be interesting.  A couple years ago I bet either Lowe's or Home Depot would have jumped at the sponsorship opportunity but current economies make that seem unlikely.  The truck series still offers the best racing; race in and race out, of any of the series.  Maybe Ginn Resorts will step up for another foray?Smiley

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
sally
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:32:18 PM »

I was just reading the results of the 'values' of the various car sponsorships as far as on air mentions and air time.  It hit me just how bogus the numbers are, since they are largely controlled by the media.  If you aren't one of the chosen drivers, you don't get mentioned or interviews.  If you don't pay for on air advertising, the network doesn't mention you sponsor on air.  And if your driver isn't one of the 'chosen, you car will never  be mentioned, much less shown on air.  Talk about the proverbial rock and a hard place...and a useless stat!

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 10:08:28 PM »

Very good points, Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:16:00 PM »

I agree with James on the shakiness of the NASCAR sponsors.  I wouldn't spend any money on sponsoring a race team right now, let alone for NASCAR itself.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: