November 23, 2017, 11:28:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing that Jimmie Johnson fined $10,000  (Read 4762 times)
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 08:50:30 PM »

point well taken vivian.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2004, 02:15:19 PM »

Here's a view from Mark DeCotis of Florida Today about this and every other ridiculous decision NASCAR has made this season:

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/columnstoryS0806DECOTISDRILL0.htm

I particularly like the last sentence in this article.  It is SO true!

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2004, 03:35:05 PM »

great article cheryl thaks for the link that last line is so true!!
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2004, 12:49:43 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Beth, your idea of not going to VL will open a can of worms no one would ever be able to close.

After Jeff's choice at the Brickyard, we're about to see how big the can was and whether they are worms or snakes inside of it...

I see NASCAR looking even more foolish this week when they make their decision on "what to do about the problem".

Next will come a points reduction for anyone not going to VL. Watch.

Lou

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2004, 01:24:02 PM »

I thought what Gordon did was hilarious!  He made TV come to him.  But I'd actually read something yesterday on Jayski where he said he "had something planned" for the next time he won, so it wasn't surprising when he stopped and got out of the car at the start/finish line.  Just like they do on Saturday night short tracks! Take that NA$CAR!  Did you see all those NASCAR officials fultile efforts to herd everyone off the front stretch?   :lol:

Below is what Jayski has to report today.  Sounds like no fine.  More inconsistency of course, but I guess their rationale will be something like they couldn't fine the winningest active driver or 4-time champion...

From Jayski:
"'Bottle' Gate Continues? after winning the Brickyard 400, #24-Jeff Gordon, stopped at the yard of bricks / start-finish line and his team came out to the car and they celebrated there and not in Victory Lane, even a futile attempt by some NASCAR officials failed to get the team in Victory Lane [IMS Radio did report that later the #24 and the team made it to Victory Lane].
from a Chevy Notes - Gordon Brickyard Transcript with Jeff Gordon...
the querstion: I'll open up a can of worms maybe. When three other wins here, did you forget where Victory Lane was?
GORDON: I must have. I think it slipped my mind. I thought Victory Lane was where those bricks are out there. You know, you just react. I went down there, you know, thinking about a burnout or something like that. I stink at burnouts, so I just locked them up on the bricks and, you know, told the team to get out there. You know, your emotions are just going, and you're excited, the adrenaline's flowing. You know, I'm sure I'm going to get in some kind of trouble over it. But, you know what, right now I don't care (laughter). Also - Team owener, Rick Hendrick was called to the NASCAR Trailer afterwards.(GM/Chevy Notes)
AND been told that NASCAR said late Sunday that Jeff Gordon likely won't face a $10,000 fine, such as the one doled out to his Hendrick teammate Jimmie Johnson last week, after he parked his #24 DuPont Chevy on the front stretch instead of driving to victory lane where a rival Powerade bottle would have been placed on top of his car. Supposedly NASCAR felt Gordon's celebration was impromptu but the sanctioning body would address the issue if drivers begin ducking out of traditional victory lane celebrations.
AND some MORE: NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said officials would meet with team owner Rick Hendrick after the race. They also planned to meet with Gordon before deciding whether to issue a penalty. "We are exploring it," Hunter said. "I don't think it was preconceived. Hopefully, it was one of those impromptu things, where this is Indy and he won it. When he was finished (celebrating on the track), he went to Victory Lane. So the question is, was that ignoring our protocol?"(FoxSports/AP)(8-9-2004)"

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2004, 01:43:31 PM »

Here's what Mike Mulhern had to say about it.  I just love his point that
NA$CAR has made Victory Lane as demeaning as a battle between Eighth Avenue pimps.  

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031777187748&path=!sports!autoracing&s=1037645509202

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2004, 03:49:47 PM »

see cheryl even the drivers think this stupid.nascar hasn't got two brain cells to rub together if they fine jeff for this.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2004, 04:36:58 PM »

Jeff Gordon can pretty much tell Nascar to butt out and get away with it. He knows it and so does NASCAR. If they fine him he'll pay it and laugh at them. The whole deal is much ado about nothing.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
sally
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2004, 05:30:47 PM »

I think it depends on how pissed Brian France is.  He is obviously on a power trip the size of Texas.  It wouldn't surprise me if he decides to fine JG, and also dock him points to make sure everyone understands he IS THE BOSS!  Should get interesting.
Sally :roll:
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2004, 07:03:55 PM »

Then they should have fined Harvick last year cause he did the same thing.  Jeff eventually  made it to VL and the car did too just not when the TV was on! Cheesy  He might have gotten there faster if the TV announcers waited to interview him in VL.

Good job Jeff!

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2004, 07:27:55 PM »

Quote from: "BAM24/25"
Then they should have fined Harvick last year cause he did the same thing.  Jeff eventually  made it to VL and the car did too just not when the TV was on! Cheesy  He might have gotten there faster if the TV announcers waited to interview him in VL.

Good point about the winner doing the same thing last year.  I didn't remember that.  But then we didn't have "bottlegate" last year either.  At least no one had made such a big issue about it when Kenseth was doing it in his quite way.   :wink: I think TV went out on the track because they were in "hurry up mode" because they had gone over their alotted time length.  Perhaps if they hadn't waited till so late to start the race, they'd have had enough time, even with the cautions.  They were obviously in a hurry to cut away to get to the local news here at 6:30 on the east coast.  Or else they think the whole thing is as ridiculous as the drivers think.  

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2004, 07:29:45 PM »

What a devilishly clever idea Beth!  I wonder how long the "celebration" would have lasted if there was no TV coverage outside VL?  Hmmm.  I wonder if NO TV time is better than having those blue bottles in the background?  Interesting.  Also, remember that Kevin is a Coke affiliate, and doesn't knock the bottles off the car.  Ahhh.  The good old days when a guy could just go to victory lane, climb out of the car whenever he wanted, and not worry about offending anyone who is putting $$$ in Nascar/ISC pockets!
Sally :wink:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2004, 01:03:40 PM »

While I don't generally read the Fox web site, I saw the title of this article on Jayski and checked it out.  My favorite line is:  "We're looking at a dictatorship that's totally out of control and has lost its mind."  There's also an article by Larry McReynolds condemning NASCAR and Allen Bestwick said NASCAR's sponsors don't have any place on the winning car's roof last night on IWC.  I'm glad to see a few of the TV folks taking a stand on this issue.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2651778

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2004, 03:37:04 PM »

good point cheryl i think there're right on this the tv partners do need to speak out on this and remember they're journalists first!
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2004, 12:30:59 PM »

Here's a post from a guy on my other racing list.  I thought everyone might find the acronymns he came up with for NASCAR very appropriate:

"Well we already know they are *N*ot *A* *S*anction that *C*ares
*A*bout *R*acing, they are a *N*onsensical *A*ssociation *S*olely
for *C*ollecting *A*d *R*evenue. It is *N*ot *A* *S*port, and it
*C*ertainly *A*in't *R*acing, but it is a *N*etwork of *A*ttorneys,
*S*alesmen, and *C*harlatans *A*t *R*acetracks there to ensure
that every *N*ormal *A*verage *S*chmo *C*oughs up *A*mple *R*iches."

Cheryl
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: