November 17, 2017, 10:20:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearing that Jimmie Johnson fined $10,000  (Read 4732 times)
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« on: August 03, 2004, 03:55:55 PM »

for putting his Lowe's sign in front of the Powerade bottles.  This has to be an all time low for Nascar.  Helton said don't knock them off.  JJ did not not.  He just put his sign in front of the bottles.  Nascar is so money hungry.  I have yet to understand how Powerade sponsors Gatorade Victory Lane.  :?  This whole product thing is out of control. :roll:

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 04:04:50 PM »

:roll: like i said last week i knew that jimmy of jeff would be the first to be fined for removing the logos.i hate to say i to you so.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 08:21:55 PM »

What else could Jimmie Johnson have done?  He did not remove the bottle, as he and all other drivers were specifically told to do at the meeting in Loudon.  And he still has to pay $10,000! :x

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 08:47:33 PM »

They were talking protocol (sp?).  I guess they are thinking what will come next if we let it go.  I am not really sure how I feel about the fine other than now they will have to be consistant.  And maybe not....What if Jr or Sterling put a 6 pack up there when and if they win again???  It won't block but will amount to the same thing, sort of...This is all so confusing nowadays... :?
sally
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 02:00:04 AM »

The greed factor from Nascar and ISC is truly amazing.  At least JJ knows that he can get in a fight and lose the same amount of money!
Sally :?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 12:43:50 PM »

I saw the chance of a fine mentioned on Jayski yesterday.  In that blurb, it said something about a NASCAR official picking up the Lowes banner when it fell down.  That really made me wonder, then today, someone on my other racing list mentioned that the same thing was discussed on the John Boy & Billy radio show yesterday.  So, even though a NASCAR official "assists" Jimmie in breaking the rules, but only the driver gets fined?  What a double standard!  

It all goes back to NASCAR's greed, if they hadn't sold the rights to Victory Lane "naming" to Gatorade while taking on Powerade as the "official sports beverage of NASCAR," these problems would never exist.  When Gatorade was on the cars, everyone ignored it even if they weren't sponsored by them (and Pepsi, their parent company).  NASCAR has no one but themselves to blame, yet they're gonna take it out on the drivers.  I read a while back that the drivers feel that they have won the race and their sponsor has the right to be the sole represenative in Victory Lane (which I agree with).  But obviously, NASCAR only cares about the sponsors who are paying NASCAR money!  Just more in the Pepsi/Coke wars...

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 04:41:09 PM »

Okay, I have reached a decision.  I always try to look at both sides before making a firm decision on anything and at this point after weighing everything out, I have to agree that Nascar had to fine Jimmy.  They were told that Powerade had to stay.  By Jimmy putting the sign in front of the bottles it was like him saying, I can get around the rules, so up yours, Nascar.  This was like a slap in the face and they had to address it.  Sort of like when there is someone getting around the parts rule by fudging then getting caught.  Same thing in theory.  Now I know some of you are thinking I have lost my mind, but think about it.  Jimmy gets his sponsors in victory lane by his fire suit, his car and all his praise in his commentary.  They are getting their exposure.  Not to mention how much he has gotten on the track.  Powerade is an official drink and since it only has commercials, then Nascar and they agreed to have their bottles on the cars, regardless of who wins.  There is certain protocol you have to follow and by him doing something to block the bottles, he stepped over the line as far as that was concerned.  The money means nothing to Jimmy and it goes to the Racing Wives Auxillary or to the points fund at the end of the year and not into Nascar's account for them to use.  I think it was the principal of Nascar more of less saying, "You can't get around the rules by doing something that amounts to basically the same thing."  IMO

It is okay to disagree with me but please tell me why so I can weigh this situation out even more.  Thanks.
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »

cheryl you've got a good point and i disagree with you vivian.nascar didn't have to fine jimmy they choose to.they created their own problems by making two conflicting deals.that's just pure bull and they know it.it's time owners speak out about this issue and fans need to sto alibing for nascar.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 04:50:38 PM »

I agree.  If Powerade is the "official sports drink of Nascar" why can't they pick a different time or venue to promote it?  Does it have to be in Gatorade VL?  They have plenty of opportunities to promote it.  I think they are just trying to assert their power instead of coming up with a solution that suits everyone.  I still say the drivers should refuse to drive into VL.   Cheesy

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Vivian
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 04:58:29 PM »

You are right Ron, they chose to but I still think it had to be done.  I am glad we can discuss this without anyone getting upset.  

Beth, your idea of not going to VL will open a can of worms no one would ever be able to close.  Good thought, tho.  Can you imagine the havoc?  Maybe they could arrange to run out of gas?  What a good idea!

Meanwhile, back to the fine, come on everybody, jump in with your opinion so we can agree to disagree - or not - or maybe - or whatever.   :twisted:
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 06:02:11 PM »

Quote from: "BAM24/25"
If Powerade is the "official sports drink of Nascar" why can't they pick a different time or venue to promote it?  Does it have to be in Gatorade VL?  They have plenty of opportunities to promote it.  I think they are just trying to assert their power instead of coming up with a solution that suits everyone.  I still say the drivers should refuse to drive into VL.   Cheesy

I guess my biggest problem with any product being the "official" whatever of NASCAR to begin with, is that if they really wanted to help racing, they ought to put that money on a car needing a sponsor!  Instead of giving it to the sanctioning body.  I feel that is a cheap way to get into Victory Lane and Gatorade deserves exclusivity there since they are actually associate sponsors on many winning cars.  Going back to Matt Kenseth who started this whole thing with knocking the Powerade bottles off last season.

Throughout my thinking all day, I couldn't help but think if Coke and Powerade want more time in Victory Lane, perhaps they need to jump to teams with more chance of winning.  I know it's just a coincidence, but Coke is spending it's money on Jarrett, Kyle Petty, Jeff Burton, Bobby Labonte, Harvick and a list of others who haven't won a single race this year.  Now I'm not knocking those drivers, just pointing out that if Coke and Powerade want to be in VL, they ought to reconsider who they fund next year, instead of hanging on the coattails of the teams who do win.  Does that make any sense?  I love Kyle Petty as a person, but honestly, does he have a chance to ever win again?

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 06:15:08 PM »

you are right vivian i will try to keep my opinion civil at all times .i just feel that  having two contracts with competing sposors was inviting trouble from the moment they rename vl. i feel nascar should be ashamed of themselves for causing their own problems and then scapegoating jimmy for them.
sally
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 06:16:14 PM »

Cheryl, I agree with you on principle.  However, the conflict was brought on by Nascar and ISC gouging BOTH Powerade and Gatorade as sponsors.  I must say I wonder if this draconian enforcement has anything to do with the fact that JJ has made no bones about the fact that he thinks the crapshoot stinks?  We all know that Nascar isn't above using coercion to make their point. :roll:

And how about the fact that, when the Loew's Logo slid off the roof, it was a Nascar official who put it back in place?
Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 04:14:48 PM »

Oh, and the NASCAR official's name is Dave Finley.

Wonder what will happen to him?  Will he be punished like the man who turned on the caution light at the Charlotte truck race or the flagman at Pocono (the first race)?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 05:03:38 PM »

David Poole has an article on this subject on That's Racin' today.  Got the link from Jayski.  Check it out if you get a chance.

BTW, Ron.  You are always civil.  It is okay to disagree and you don't have to apologize to me about you feeling differently than I do.  That is part of life and what makes it interesting.  Just as long as we don't put each other down and bash each other for feeling different.  That is the important thing.  Stay happy!   Cool
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: