November 23, 2017, 07:13:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TNT's Wide Open Coverage to Return in 2008  (Read 546 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: November 28, 2007, 05:08:33 PM »

This is good news! Too bad Fox and ESPN won't do something like this too:

From Jayski:

"Turner Sports and TNT have greenlit a reprise of this past NASCAR seasonís July 7 Wide Open Coverage race, a television first that featured no commercial interruptions but used branded content for 10 advertisers that appeared sporadically via a small on-screen window. Trish Frohman, executive vp of Turner Sports sales, said Sprint will definitely return for next yearís July 5 telecast, while talks are underway with the other marketers including Auto Zone, DirecTV, Ford, Goodyear, Miller Brewing Co., Principal Financial Group, Subway and Toyota. Coca-Cola has replaced Pepsi as the on-track sponsor of next yearís race, which will be known as the Coke 400. Turner is also talking with Coke about becoming TV sponsor of the race and buying branded spots in the telecast. All the branded spots, as in this yearís telecast, will be produced by Turner Sports Creative Sports Services, in partnership with the clients. Each will run between 30 seconds and two minutes apiece. The Wide Open Coverage concept was a hit with viewers because without national commercial breaks, racing fans got to see more than an hour of additional live coverage during the three-hour telecast. This yearís Pepsi 400 was not only ad-supported cableís highest-rated program of that week among adults 18-49 and 25-54, but also the top-rated show on July 7 in those demos in all of television, including broadcast. The telecast drew 3 million adults 18-49 and 6.1 million viewers overall. Frohman said the number of advertisers will remain at 10, with the format basically remaining the same.(Mediaweek)(11-26-2007)"

Cheryl

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:14:16 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:37:12 PM »

Congratulations, TNT!  The Wide Open coverage last year was enjoyable. Smiley

One change I want to see made for next year's Coke 400 is the removal of trivia during green-flag racing.  That was too distracting. Sad

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:56:21 PM »

While this is a good thing and I would love to see if more than once a year, what really caught my eye in the press release was this one line:

"because without national commercial breaks, racing fans got to see more than an hour of additional live coverage during the three-hour telecast"

They admit to having 1/3 of the broadcast being commercials without even flinching during the process of placing the actual words down on paper......

Yeah, yeah.... I know it's been that way for a while.... it just sounded so much worse reading it...

Lou

super61
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:18:20 PM »

one article i read on this subject basically states that all commercial partners must agree to the format. you can have 99 that say yes and one that says no and then it's all commericials all the time.

ken

never under estimate what an angry mob can accomplish
BrettBaldeck
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 01:09:09 AM »

one article i read on this subject basically states that all commercial partners must agree to the format. you can have 99 that say yes and one that says no and then it's all commericials all the time.

Perhaps that is why during the Wide Open Coverage we only see about 10 different companies advertised, compared to a normal race when we see double or even triple that. It looks like only certain companies want to be a part of TNT's Wide Open Coverage. Fine with me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: