November 18, 2017, 03:28:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just for Sally  (Read 1810 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: November 07, 2007, 01:55:22 PM »

A good article on the steady ratings decline:

http://www.racingmilestones.com/Opinions.aspx?ArticleID=4512

Cheryl
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 06:42:40 PM by Cheryl » Logged
sally
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:46:49 AM »

Guess I'm not the only one who finds the competition between 2 Hendrick drivers less than compelling?

The fact that even a NYC paper has noticed must have Baby Brian's head spinning!

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/11/07/2007-11-07_is_nascars_popularity_on_the_decline.html

Sally
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:44:20 AM »

Cheryl, Sally, two great links.  Both articles made me think...I know...watch out:)  I know my NASCAR interest has diminished over the last few years, but I really can put a finger on any one thing.  NASCAR has done a lot of things I didn't really like (locking in top 35 owners points, past champions provisionals, the "Chase", mysterious debris cautions, the COT among others that I'm forgetting).  I can't think of a single one of the aforementioned items causing my loss of interest and I'm not sure if all of them were changed back to their previous state it would stimulate my interest to its' former level.

Can any of you pinpoint any one thing to tie your lack of enthusiasm towards NASCAR?

I know...just for Sally....sorry for the intrusion.   

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 01:20:40 PM »

Oh, I can pinpoint exactly what made me lose interest.  The Lucky Cur and the Chase.  Since they'd suckered us into buying tickets a year in advance (and before the Chase was announced), we were stuck with a couple sets of tickets the first year of the travesty.  But the next year, we dumped all our tickets. 

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:26:49 PM »

About the same for me, Cheryl.  The crapshoot and charity lap made a travesty of racing...and the top 35 rule is right up there, too.  As good as many of the 'new generation corporate spokesmen' drivers are, they don't seem to have the same intensity racing as the 'old guard' did.  Some if that is Nascar's fault, trying to pretty up their image for the masses.  I think the final nail in the coffin was when Nascar got into the 'manufacturing' of race cars.  It just isn't, to me, what stock car racing was meant to be.

Sally
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 01:30:46 PM »

I know my NASCAR interest has diminished over the last few years, but I really can put a finger on any one thing. 

James, I think you already hit it on the head - at least from my perspective. It cannot be singled down to one thing. It IS the combination of all things that have screwed up my enjoyment of it.

You know - that "straw that broke the camels back" theory!

Lou

sally
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 12:16:52 AM »

A slightly different slant on the dropping TV ratings.  Jeff Owen chastises fans for ignoring the 'exciting' chase...because they hate JJ & JG.  the fans tend to disagree for the reason they aren't watching.  There are some pretty good points made.

http://blog.scenedaily.com/index.php/2007/11/08/a-disturbing-shame/

Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 06:41:11 PM »

I know my NASCAR interest has diminished over the last few years, but I really can put a finger on any one thing. 

James, I think you already hit it on the head - at least from my perspective. It cannot be singled down to one thing. It IS the combination of all things that have screwed up my enjoyment of it.

You know - that "straw that broke the camels back" theory!

Lou

Well put, James and Lou. It is the combination, but mostly the boring racing. The only time i got excited in the last 9 races was when Matt and JJ were going at it. To JJ's credit, he has been racing harder than he has had to, perhaps, but for the most part, who cares?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »

No real racing anymore except maybe in about 5 races when there are two drivers lucky enough to be going for the win. 
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 06:25:09 PM »

I agree with Jeff than the hatred of some fans toward Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson is a factor behind the declining ratings, but it is not the biggest factor.  NASCAR as a whole should be blamed for the decline in television ratings and attendance.

That being said, this is the biggest failure of the Chase system in its brief history, in the sense that two drivers have dominated at the expense of the other contenders as never before.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 12:20:30 PM »

Finally, a more realistic lok at Nascar ratings.

Overall TV Ratings down: NASCAR ends its season Sunday with ratings down again this year. And while it has fan interest beyond its Southern base, it's still an also-ran in big cities outside the South. This season's NASCAR Nextel Cup races airing on Fox, TNT, ESPN and ABC are averaging 4.2% of U.S. TV households down 9% from last year's average and off 21% from 2005. ABC's Checker Auto Parts 500 on Sunday when Jimmie Johnson virtually nailed down the season points title showed interest still is largely regional. The race drew 10.5% of households in Greenville, S.C., 9.1% in Knoxville, Tenn. and 7.8% in Birmingham, Ala. But it drew just 1.3% in New York, 1.9% in Los Angeles and 2.4% in Chicago. Dick Glover, NASCAR vice president/broadcasting, notes the average NASCAR race ratings in New York (1.9%), Los Angeles (2.1%) and Chicago (2.9%) which together constitute about 15% of TV households in the USA are up slightly or even with last year. He concedes there's no silver bullet to win over more major-market eyeballs: "All you can do is expose your product and see if people like it." But Glenn Enoch, ESPN vice president/research, suggests NASCAR's viewer drop-off has an asterisk. Ratings this season among males age 18-34 whom advertisers covet because they haven't always formed brand loyalties and are seen as more susceptible to advertising are "virtually flat." The big losses came among viewers older than 55. Since NASCAR's biggest stars all appear in a single weekend race, its ratings are more indicative of overall viewer interest than ratings for sports such as football, basketball and baseball, where audiences get splintered across lots of time slots. And NASCAR's stand-alone race ratings make the sport's TV appeal seem pretty big until you compare them to the cumulative appeal of other sports. Consider that weekend college football games just on Disney's ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 can produce total ratings about five times bigger than NASCAR's 4.2% race average. And NFL games each week typically produce total ratings well over 10 times bigger than the NASCAR race average.(USA Today)(11-14-2007)

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 01:38:21 PM »

And while it has fan interest beyond its Southern base, it's still an also-ran in big cities outside the South.

This about says it all.  No matter how much they try to pull in the mainstream people in other areas of the country, it's simply not working.  And yet, BF has pretty much ruined what little integrity the sport had in his efforts to do so (the Chase, Lucky Cur, etc.)

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 05:51:55 PM »

Wow!  I knew things were bad, but this bad?

*Los Angeles - the home area of the California Speedway, which NASCAR/ISC has pumped up with lots of money and publicity - has only slightly higher ratings than New York.  It is certainly nowhere near the Southeastern markets.
*Ratings for viewers 55 and older are way down, and those 18-34 are flat.  It confirms a post that I made about a year ago: that NASCAR is losing its longtime fan base in huge numbers and is not gaining close to enough new fans to replace them.

Thanks also for the fair comparison of the cumulative numbers from college football to that of NASCAR racing.  I have seen NASCAR fail in similar matchups against baseball.  I think the NASCAR and hockey are equal, but that's what happens when the NHL in the U.S. is on a channel most of us haven't heard of (Versus).

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 07:06:26 PM »

, but that's what happens when the NHL in the U.S. is on a channel most of us haven't heard of (Versus).

We have Versus on DirecTV, but have never watched it.  I believe it is either the old Outdoor Channel or Outdoor Life, just renamed recently. 

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 06:15:32 PM »

We have Versus on DirecTV, but have never watched it.  I believe it is either the old Outdoor Channel or Outdoor Life, just renamed recently.

It began as Outdoor Life Network in the mid-1990s, then it was shortened by OLN by the time the NHL arrived on the network.  The channel changed its name to the present Versus in 2006.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: