November 23, 2017, 09:43:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocono  (Read 4157 times)
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2004, 08:04:20 PM »

good point cheryl i have listen to pocono races on mrn and tv  and i have noticed that mrn covers more racing throughout the pack  and tv doesn't . makes one wonder if more fans should listen to racing on the radio. i wish i could i like listening to races on mrn but i can't get it
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2004, 08:11:38 PM »

I think that the local affiliate for MRN in New York City is AM 620, Sporting News Radio.  Try that next week.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2004, 08:18:11 PM »

Ron, mea culpa. I agree that the cause is not necessarily the track. Yes, there is more racing for position toward the rear of the pack, and probably TV does not do it justice. Darned if I will pay the prevailing ticket prices to watch the back of the pack. Phooey. I slept during about the middle 100 laps Sunday.
 What did I see during the last 50 laps? One pass in the top 5 that I can remember. Kasey passed Biffle for 3rd.
 Were it not for the cautions, JJ would have won with ahalf lap lead. So what should have held my interest?
 Yes, I think Nascar has some serious problems that the chase for the champ crap isn't going to solve, but no offense to Pocono nor to Pa. intended.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2004, 08:27:17 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
Yes, I think Nascar has some serious problems that the chase for the champ crap isn't going to solve, but no offense to Pocono nor to Pa. intended.

Now, Dick.  Just cause I like Pocono and a lot of others don't, doesn't mean you have to worry about "bashing" it.   Smiley Trust me, I don't have any "home" track to defend.  I guess that's the advantage to living in a state without any paved ovals. The only advantage...

As to the serious problems in NASCAR, you and I can certainly agree on that one!

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004, 08:58:51 PM »

The race itself looks boring to us home fans because tv seems to only show the top 5 or 10 normally.  By following the ticker at the top which I did constantly Sunday due to the fact I was writing the review, I noticed that they not only did not tell us who was out of the race when; but I also noticed they did not tell us about all the in pack passing and changes. I hate to depend on the ticker, but it tells more of a story than the announcers sometimes.  Also, I think that because it is a different shape that more work goes into the set up and it is challenging to not only the drivers but to the whole pit crew.  Even though the leader runs away, there are some other things we could rate it by.  I can't say I hate it, but I can't say I like it either.  Oh, one thing I don't like is that they get 2 races a year and they are close to each other while some of the better racing race tracks don't have but one.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.   :wink:
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2004, 09:45:46 PM »

that's a no go desmond that station has stop carrying mrn radio in 2003.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2004, 10:37:37 PM »

I don't have a home track either, Cheryl, although I would love to see Nascar run at Mid Ohio.
I think the most bored I have been at a race was the first F1 race at Indy, followed closely by the IRL race at Kentucky last year. I was happy that Sam Hornish won, but there was precious little racing action.
Where's Lou, any how?? We need some of his humor. Cheesy

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 12:27:16 PM »

Quote from: "old hot rodder"
I don't have a home track either, Cheryl, although I would love to see Nascar run at Mid Ohio.
I think the most bored I have been at a race was the first F1 race at Indy, followed closely by the IRL race at Kentucky last year. I was happy that Sam Hornish won, but there was precious little racing action.
Where's Lou, any how?? We need some of his humor. Cheesy

Yes, but you do have Mansfield and Kilkare Speedways, which are great short tracks.  All IRL races are boring to me.   :wink:
Lou is here, but busy with regular work and his usar site, but I'll tell him his "public" is clammoring for him.   :lol:

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »

why are all irl races boring to you cheryl? i think you should give them another chance and you would see that it is just as exciting as nascar now.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2004, 04:59:34 PM »

Being at a race and having the opportunity to watch all the racing on the track and not just what the TV wants you to see always makes the race more interesting.  I know people say California and Phoenix are boring but I go to those races and have a different opinion.  Unfortunately TV is only interested in what is going on "up front"

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Vivian
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2004, 05:07:44 PM »

Once I got into the personality of some of the drivers and knew who they were, I kind of liked watching IRL.  But then I like all racing as long as there is competition.  I just love Helio and his happy attitude and face and all the voice inflections he uses.  If no stock car racing is on then I will watch open wheel.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2004, 06:17:19 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
why are all irl races boring to you cheryl? i think you should give them another chance and you would see that it is just as exciting as nascar now.

Because I absolutely cannot relate to the "cars!"  I am savvy enough to know that the stock cars aren't anything like our street vehicles anymore, but at least they still look like cars.  Open-wheelers don't to me.  They're more like rocket-ships than cars in my opinion.

Second, there is so little sheet metal on them, it's difficult to tell them apart during a race.

Third, you don't see them race "wheel to wheel" very often.  Granted, we don't see that in NASCAR lately, but it's more likely than in open wheel cars.  They're just too delicate for that to happen without a big wreck.

Lastly, I can't relate to the drivers at all.  They have always come across as prima donas to me, whereas, stock car drivers seem more from a working class background (even if they aren't from the south).  Other than Kulwicki, Newman is the first driver in a long time that has a college degree.  I'm not saying open wheelers are all college grads, but they come across that way to me.  

Cheryl "although I do like to hear Daaaareeeeo Franchitti talk"  :lol:
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2004, 06:24:43 PM »

i understand cheryl about your first two reasons but no 3  is just not right. irl cars race wheel to wheel  at chicago,michigan.texas and  california.next yr they will head to the road courses fo the first time.second  if you take the time to get to know the drivers  you can find differences in the collors of the cars lol Shocked  Cheesy
sally
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2004, 06:36:44 PM »

I'm with Cheryl here.  The cars are just planes without wings, it's impossible to tell which car is which unless the announcers tell me, and, well...I just don't care who wins!   I can watch F1 to see if the impossible will happen and Schumacher will lose (unlikely), but the Indy cars just don't matter to me.  Many of the drivers seem personable enough, but  18 cars (or 20) going 300 miles (or less) in cars that crumple if you look at them cross-eyed just doesn't hold my attention.  

I know the interest in the Brickyard 400 originally happened because they had never allowed anything but Indy cars to race on that track.  10 years ago it was a big deal, just because the elitist open wheel racers would ALLOW stock cars to put rubber on their sacred ground.  (Coincidentally, about the same time that Indy and Cart split up).  Now it's just another flat track race where aerodynamics, not driver skill, make for another high priced parade.  At least, that's how it hits me.
Sally
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2004, 06:39:59 PM »

Ron has a point, Cheryl. The Kentucky IRL race in 2002 had a very close 3 way finish as I recall. That made the 03 race even more disappointing to me.
I agree with your point about the Drivers...

William James
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: