November 23, 2017, 12:42:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pocono  (Read 4153 times)
sally
« on: August 02, 2004, 12:27:52 AM »

Pocono twice in 6 weeks.  Yawn.
Sally
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 03:57:52 PM »

Another runaway for sure.  While doing the review and really listening to the broadcast, I realized how important the pit crews are and the set ups on the cars.  So I decided to keep an eye on in-pack changes and ignore JJ as it was apparent he was gonna win.  It is a challenging track and I guess if I look at it that way, then it was more interesting.   :wink:
One thing that confused me was if Ryan was at the tail end of the lead lap, why did they penalize him for being there?  That was confusing.  What didn't I get on that situation?  Also, Mark's interview was no more enthusiastic than when he finishes worse.  What is up with his attitude?
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 04:08:52 PM »

I am just exhausted from watching Jeff pass more cars than I did on the freeway in traffic.  He kept losing track position in the pits and then having to move back up through the field.  Nevermind the close call with Stewart.

Still a top five finish and second in the points.  Glad both Poconos are over.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 04:18:26 PM »

Now granted I listened to the race on MRN driving back from Ohio yesterday, but there seemed to be a lot of passing and action throughout the pack.  Just not in the top five during the last 40 laps or so.  So, as usual, I focused on the overall race, not just the leader.

What I found totally fascinating about the race was the major shake-up concerning a lot of guys in the top ten.  Now I'm not buying in the Chase crap; however, engine failures and wrecks for B. Labonte, Harvick, Stewart, and Busch, plus the deal with Earnhardt's injury/substitute driver thing, and then Newman's bad run sure shook up things a lot.  Rather than being totally out of it, Mayfield is only 40 points behind 10th place now, Kahne only 69 points, and Martin 89 (I think).  I found that kind of heartening that at least some of them are old guys who deserve a chance to compete for the championship.  

As someone on Victory Lane, I think, pointed out last night, NOW all the guys in the top 8 in points at least have all won races this year (with Bobby and Harvick dropping to 9th and 10th).  I found that kind of interesting.  They could both potentially drop out of the top 10 after this week and if Martin moved up, he's at least won a race this season (Rusty too, but he's probably too far back).  I mean wasn't all this "new" system suppose to reward race wins more?  Instead we get guys in the top 10 "stroking" even more than in the past.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 04:32:10 PM »

On most interviews the drivers say they are racing different drivers now rather than worrying about the top one in points.  Does this mean they are accepting and liking the new system? Is it gonna work?  

Sorry, Cheryl, but personally I don't think Mark's attitude is that great so if he does not make the top 10 that will be okay in my book.  Plus he was the only driver who never congratualated Tony that year so that is another strike against him, in my book.  Remember this is just my opinion.  

Beth, considering Jeff was having those problems with that broken chain when he would pit, he did do a lot passing which does go to show that there are some good drivers out there.  I was especially impressed with Terry Labonte's run also.  He had a great finish for one who a lot of people think is ready for retirement.  Don't you think so?  Anyone else think so?
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 05:03:34 PM »

Yes Viv I was glad to see Terry have a good run.  All of the Hendrick teams were in the top 15.   And given Jeff's problems in the pits a top five was good.  

Cheryl I think the lack of passing in the final 40 laps was a fuel mileage issue.  Everyone was close on fuel so they were not racing hard.  Pocono usually comes down to fuel mileage and that is why it is not one of my favorite tracks.  Shorten the race and I think it would be better racing.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 05:47:15 PM »

Quote from: "BAM24/25"
Cheryl I think the lack of passing in the final 40 laps was a fuel mileage issue.  Everyone was close on fuel so they were not racing hard.  Pocono usually comes down to fuel mileage and that is why it is not one of my favorite tracks.  Shorten the race and I think it would be better racing.

Fuel mileage?Huh?  MRN never mentioned a word about that.  I think TV tries to create their "drama" about that whenever it's a strung-out race.  

On shortening the race, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!  The length of the race makes no difference.  We always see gas mileage issues at Michigan and it's always been 400 miles and Indianapolis as well.  

I'm totally against shortening any race distances!  Fans attending in person deserve 500 miles for what they pay for tickets.  And, to me, the Pocono races don't seem long at all.  But then, I'm one who likes to see the challenges turning the high RPMs for all those miles places on the engines.  Yesterday is a perfect example of why I love Pocono.  You saw which teams had their act together in the engine department and which didn't.   Just like I love the Coke 600 for the same reasons.

I was happy to see Terry get another good finish too.  It did seem like the top ten were mostly made up of Hendrick and Roush cars all day long.  So obviously those teams had their acts together, at least in the durability area yesterday.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 05:54:36 PM »

Cheryl- glad to here that you were in the Buckeye state.
Vivian, you must have seen a different interview of Mark than I did. I thought his attitude was great. He said that having a good car and a good finish made him feel wonderful, like he was 20 not 45. Mentioned how he loves his crew.
 Of course, I'm a Mark Martin fan, (and def not a Hendricks fan), so maybe that colors my viewpoint. Just don't see how you could dislike Mark.
 And yes, I think its time for T Lab, who has to be one of the classiest guys in racing, to hang it up.
 Other than that, Vivian, we completely agree! :lol:

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 08:32:07 PM »

They did talk about fuel mileage on tv.  Even had audio of Mark's crew chief telling him to conserve.  Guess they were close until the next to last caution came out.  Some could make it, some close and some couldn't.  But the way the day was going, I was sure there would be more cautions and fuel would not play a part in this one.  

Now, Dick - just because his attitude was okay at that time does not mean it is always good.  It seems to come across to me that he is negative a lot of the time and for some reason that stays in my mind.  But that does not mean I don't think his fans have a good attitude so hang in there, man.   :twisted:   Now we can agree.  BTW, I have noticed from your posts that most of the time we really do agree.  That's good.  Cool
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 08:53:11 PM »

Oh oh, keeping track of me are you? Cheesy  Lord knows I can use all the help I can get.
  My take on T LaBonte is simple. He has been hurt before. For whatever he gets out of racing now, it can't be more important than quitting while he is still on top, and not risking a serious injury. He really doesn't have anything more to prove, in my opinion. I would be just as upset if he got hurt as I would Mark or Jeff B or any of my other favorites.
 See ya,  Dick

William James
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 04:11:44 PM »

i'd like to know why people don't like racing at pocono. i'd like some reasons why because i constantly hear people on this forum and others say they think pocono is boring and i think pocono is exciting and a difficult track to drive.so why?
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 05:11:50 PM »

Ron, if 3 of my favorite drivers were not running in the top 10, I would have turned it off. What is exciting about seeing the cars run around single file, with almost no passing in the top 10 or 15 cars??
 I really feel the same way about the Brickyard.
 Watch a tape of the truck race at MIS and see if you can tell what I mean.
Take care.

William James
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 06:03:58 PM »

if that's the case blame the racing conditions nascar has set up for pocono not the race track itself. if you examine the racing at pocono over the last 25 yrs you'll see that the racing there has always been very competive .it's only been within the last 3 to 4 yrs that  it's become so-called boring. blame nascar and not the track  or the network.
sally
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2004, 06:07:24 PM »

What Ron said.  Also, there are too many of these flat tracks in this part of the season...Chicago, Indy, Pocono, NH.  As Jeff Gordon pointed out during Pit Bull Sat. nite, to have good racing for stock cars, you need BANKING!.  I think the reason Pocono "suffers" in the eyes of many fans Ithat would include me) is because there are so many races on similar tracks lumped in this part of the season, and they go back after only 6 weeks.  Too bad they couldn't shoehorn Darlington in when the weather is good!
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2004, 06:26:38 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
What Ron said.  Also, there are too many of these flat tracks in this part of the season...Chicago, Indy, Pocono, NH.  As Jeff Gordon pointed out during Pit Bull Sat. nite, to have good racing for stock cars, you need BANKING!.  I think the reason Pocono "suffers" in the eyes of many fans Ithat would include me) is because there are so many races on similar tracks lumped in this part of the season, and they go back after only 6 weeks.  Too bad they couldn't shoehorn Darlington in when the weather is good!

Sally

Well I certainly agree that the mid-summer is the most boring part of the NASCAR season, but I still think Pocono provides the best racing of all the tracks you've mentioned. I just think you can't judge "passing" at Pocono by the top 10 since that is probably all TV showed all day long.  Either MRN was lying or there was a lot of passing throughout the pack all day long.  I guess I look at the race as a whole, not just the end though where a lot of them get strung out.  I always find Pocono entertaining.  I can't say the same about Indy.  I know I'm certainly looking forward to the truck and Busch races at IRP more; however, there are so many whackers in them, I'm sure that the regulars in those series have no chance.   And we get two Waltrips for the price of one Friday night.  :cry:

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: