November 21, 2017, 06:31:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Memphis Busch Broadcast  (Read 492 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 28, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »

Because this was a short track and there were less Buschwhackers there, I wanted to watch this broadcast.  What a bad decision...

While the race itself was challenging, ESPN's broadcast was just awful!  This was one of the few times, the Busch regulars running up front should have gotten some respect.  Yet, ESPN, chose to focus on the 5-6 whackers running.  When Marcos Ambrose or Jason Keller was leading, ESPN went on a tangent covering Carl Edwards for about 10 minutes.  The coverage the networks give Earnhardt couldn't top this. I had recorded the race and thankfully could ff'd through their obsession with Carl.  I'm sorry, but when are the TV networks going to realize NOBODY cares about a Cup driver running away with the Busch championship?  I like Carl and I certainly don't care about him beating up on the 3rd graders any more than I did Harvick last season.  I want to see Ambrose, Keller, even Leffler.  When will the networks and NA$CAR realize that most viewers don't tune into to see the Cup guys on Saturday? 

And trying to falsely create drama about "can Reutimann win the championship" or "Can Carl clinch today" is just insulting to every single viewer.  There has been no drama in the Busch points championship since about March!

Don't get me started on the the missed restarts!  ESPN stuck around during the red flag and subsequent yellow laps, then goes to commercial and ends up missing the restart!  Do the people in the production truck even care anymore?

And when they stuck up that stupid "gas mileage" graphic (which Neil Goldberg obvously brought with him from Fox), all I could say to Lou was "that shows me absolutely nothing!"  It was stupid 2-3 years ago when Fox brought it out and its even more stupid today.  Just another insult to the viewer's intelligence.

I did enjoy Randy Lajoie's commentary.  His plain way of speaking appeals to me.  Perhaps ESPN could come up with their signature team for Busch next season.  I'd love to see Allen Bestwick anchor the broadcast with Lajoie (a two-time champion in the series) as color guy.

Speaking of Bestwick, even he seemed off his game in the pits yesterday.  I could only think whoever was directing was yelling in his ear and causing him to confuse drivers and car numbers.

Speaking of the director, every single time they played radio chatter, no one would tell the announcers it was coming and so they talked over it most of the time.  There's nothing more irritating than to hear two things at once.  Mute the announcers microphones if you're going to do this.  Speaking of irritating talkover, at least ESPN didn't use their annoying "full throttle" at Memphis.

Oh yeah, what clown in programming only allowed 2 1/2 hours for this broadcast?  Even if there hadn't been a record number of cautions, it's a shorttrack for goodness sakes!  They went over an hour over the scheduled timeframe.  When is someone at these networks going to figure out races don't fit into the timeslot you have left in between football games? 

While he's a whacker, Reutimann was scoring his first Busch win and ESPN just cut away to football instead of even trying to interview him on his radio or something.  How disrespectful...but what should we expect, management at ESPN has been insulting and disrespectful to the drivers viewers of the Busch series all season.  It's obviously ALL about the Cup guys to them, so the heck with anybody else.

Cheryl

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 01:20:58 PM by Cheryl » Logged
BrettBaldeck
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 02:08:01 AM »

I think Neil Goldberg stayed in Memphis on Sunday. The cup broadcast was 10 times better than Saturdays.
shawn
Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 02:34:03 AM »

Def not one of ESPN's better performances.  Between the Carl Edwards love fest, and then not interviewing Reutimann, I'm beginning to wonder if ESPN even cares about doing a decent broadcast.   

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:18:29 PM »

Obvioulsy a lot more was going on with the pre-race show than I knew about since I didn't record it like I did the race:

http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2007/10/espn-pushes-nascar-to-back-burner.html

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 06:55:56 PM »

I can't give a complete review because I was not home and my DVR copy cut off.  I taped a half-hour overrun, but it still expired with 55 laps to go.  That's how long this race was.[sigh]

Anyway, I agree with the obsession over Carl Edwards and the lack of an interview with David Reutimann.  That was his first series win, for goodness sake.  If there was any reason to stick around for the interview, that was it.

Also, ESPN has been inconsistent.  Another race this fall went long and ESPN2 moved the start of the college football game to ESPN Classic so we race fans could watch the end of the race and the post-race interviews.  Why not do it again last Saturday? Huh?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: