February 24, 2018, 05:22:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darlington Cuts Ticket Prices?  (Read 1173 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 28, 2004, 01:52:28 PM »

Just saw this on thatsracin.com.  I guess I don't think "cutting" the prices of tickets by only $10 means much of anything.  When I went to the Southern 500 in 1989, I only paid $25, so "lowering" them to $95 and $70 doesn't impress me a whole bunch.  Besides ISC will probably find a way to add that $10 to MY Martinsville tickets next year (as Sally mentioned a while back).

Cheryl

"Darlington cuts ticket prices for next year

The Associated Press

DARLINGTON, S.C. - Darlington Raceway is reducing some ticket prices for its only 2005 Nextel Cup race.
The Carolina Dodge Dealers 500 is scheduled for May 7, the Saturday night before Mother's Day. The track announced this week that seats in the Tyler and Pearson Towers, which usually go for $110 each, will cost $95 for the spring race.

Seats in Brasington Grandstand in turn 2 will be cut to $70 from $80, the track announced.

Prices for Wallace Grandstand ($85) and Colvin Grandstand (either $70 or $45) will remain the same.

The falling prices come after NASCAR's oldest superspeedway has endured many changes the past few years. Its fall race, the Southern 500, was moved from Labor Day weekend to November for this year and removed from the track for 2005.

Darlington's spring race was shifted from late March to Mother's Day weekend, traditionally an off week for Nextel Cup. Next year's event also will be run at night.

The track is getting ready to debut its new lighting system next month with an exhibition featuring Jeff Gordon, Cale Yarborough and David Pearson.

"We are very appreciative of our many fans who have remained loyal throughout the recent changes at Darlington, and are glad to have this opportunity to thank them by offering a significant price break," track president Chris Browning said.

Darlington is looking for its second-straight fall sellout. This past March, then president Andrew Gurtis greeted a crowd of about 65,000 that he called the largest in the history of Darlington's spring race."
sally
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 03:03:17 PM »

It's almost as if they think that another sellout will save the last race at Darlington, isn't it?  With 2 dates already promised to the NY track, and at least one date to go to the track in the NW. I think Darlington and Martinsville can start waving bye bye now.

I can't wait to see what hotel rooms will cost in NYC...they're bad enough as it is!

Brian France already told Rockingham that a sellout wasn't enough to save it, Darlington last a date...and ISC is spending a ton of money to "improve" Daytona.
Question:  will all the new building in the infield there obstruct views for fans in the stands, the way the wonderful new "bridge" seats did at Dover?  Just wondering.
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 03:13:39 PM »

Quote from: "sally"
It's almost as if they think that another sellout will save the last race at Darlington, isn't it?  

Brian France already told Rockingham that a sellout wasn't enough to save it, Darlington lost a date...

Excellent point, Sally!  Like $10 is really going to be the breaking point on whether to go to a race or not for most people.  Perhaps if they gave them away like we heard California had to do to get a full-house this spring, they might sell-out on Mother's Day Weekend.  Like you, I still remember France's chilling words at that press conference in Richmond when asked what about better attendance at the Rock, "That's just not good enough..."  They've already made up their minds what they are going to do and the fans will just have to live with the results.  As Vivian said, they really do think we are a bunch of zombies.

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 03:20:59 PM »

hey sally and cheryl let's put it this way if you come to nyc you better sell your home to get a hotel room! the prices in manhattan are out of this world.
sally
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 04:54:31 PM »

Ron, you live in NY, so what's your assessment of how popular a race on Staten Island would be?  Would people be willing to stay in NYC, paying the outrageous prices for rooms?  And...another thought...what will tickets likely cost for a race that close to Manhatten?  Scary..

sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 07:45:25 PM »

sally i can tell you right that the hotel rooms are going to be mega expensive plus the ticket prices are going to extremely hot buys and there will be lots of ticket scalping going on. all not a fun buy if you live on any kind of a budget.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 04:29:25 PM »

Don't forget also that security procedures for the New York City area track will be more strict that those of other tracks.  The things you can bring into other speedways simply won't be allowed there.

Also, who would want a seat with a view of the empty ground once known as the World Trade Center?  Too depressing.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 04:34:30 PM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Don't forget also that security procedures for the New York City area track will be more strict that those of other tracks.  The things you can bring into other speedways simply won't be allowed there.

ISC has already limited or banned what fans can carry into all the tracks they own.  I'm just waiting to see what they try to do with Martinsville since they have no license to sell beer at the track.  

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 04:46:52 PM »

not true desmond the freedon tower will be done by that time so that space will be filled.also cheryl i'm sure no other isc track will be as strict as nyc.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 05:54:32 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
cheryl i'm sure no other isc track will be as strict as nyc.

I don't think Kansas lets fans bring in anything, even a bottle of water.  Anybody whose been there, correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 09:25:59 PM »

Texas lets them in because fans in that area didn't want vendors selling beer; if I remember right from that Dude's visit on Wind Tunnel.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 12:44:46 AM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
Texas lets them in because fans in that area didn't want vendors selling beer; if I remember right from that Dude's visit on Wind Tunnel.

You gotta remember Texas is a Bruton Smith track, not owned by the greedy ISC/NA$CAR.

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 03:20:07 PM »

hey cheryl do you really think that makes a difference?
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 11:36:34 PM »

Quote from: "ronbarnes77"
hey cheryl do you really think that makes a difference?

Yes, indeed.  Bruton Smith owned tracks have not used the excuse of 9/11 to limit what fans can bring in like ISC track have done in order to make more money on concessions.  

Since ISC has done this, Lou and I have dropped our tickets to several ISC-owned track.  Tickets cost enough without having to pay a fortune for water and other food and beverages.  

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2004, 03:50:19 PM »

AAAMMMEEEN< AMEN<AMEN!! Cheesy

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: