November 19, 2017, 10:37:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Race Itself  (Read 650 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: October 01, 2007, 01:15:01 PM »

I really admired NA$CAR waiting out the deluge of rain in KC and restarting the race.  When it looked like the rain wasn't going to stop, I was sure they were simply going to call it since it was past halfway.  I think it was great they stuck it out so we didn't have another "gas mileage" win there.

I was even okay when they reduced the lap number the first time because of impending darkness.  At least they gave all the teams fair warning that there would be only 77 laps left. 

But then NA$CAR wasted nearly half the reduced number of laps running endless caution laps.  Yes, I understand the drivers caused 2-3 wrecks, but NA$CAR ran endless laps under caution each time.  This forced them to reduce to laps even further.  Lou and I were screaming because of all the ridiculously long cautions!

To me, it just seemed like they were doing it once to help their precious "Chasers" get their cars repaired. 

Then there was the G/W/C that never happened.  I know it was much darker than it looked on TV, but I wonder if you took a poll of the drivers, would they have wanted to restart the race or not?   Wink

Good to see Biffle get the win!  Though Lou and I agreed Johnson did have a point about maintaining pace car speed.  When I saw them pushing his car to VL, I said "Is he out of gas or something?"  Then I remembered how they said Biffle and Harvick were glad they reduced the laps the second time, as they were close on fuel.  That made me wonder if Harvick was conserving gas at the end, because he dropped WAY back. 

So in the end, I guess we still ended up with a gas mileage win of sorts...

Stewart's team made their own bed by gambling with that tire.  But it's a damn shame so many other teams got caught up in their mess. 

Inside Winston Cup ought to be interesting tonight, with Biffle the winner and Mikey and Schrader being involved in one of the big wrecks.  Looked to me like Mikey crowed Schrader and started that deal, but (as usually happens with the guys causing wrecks), he got away clean. 

Cheryl
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 07:18:25 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:47:58 PM »

If you can check the Ford Racing post race comments, Greg says that he was simply saving gas for burnouts and stuff, and that he did not run out. He said that it would start and run, and when asked by the Nascar officials, he offered to fire it up and they said no--so he didn't. I got the idea that they wanted to inspect it closely for some reason.
 Anyhow, that is Greg's story. He also pointed out that it would have taken quite a while to clean up the track, anyhow, and that the "darkness" would have been worse. He thought that point influenced Nscar's decision.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:18:35 PM »

Then there was the G/W/C that never happened.  I know it was much darker than it looked on TV, but I wonder if you took a pole of the drivers, would they have wanted to restart the race or not?   ;

Cheryl

MRN asked Clint Bowyer about the darkness and he said NASCAR did the right thing

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 04:58:09 PM »

At first, I thought that the fans were cheated out of the GWC, but then I thought about how dark it was.

As Cheryl said, it always looks brighter on TV than it does in person, because of the lighting equipment used in television production.  They simply ran out of time to finish the race.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
shawn
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 01:24:47 AM »

Its not like Biffle slowed to a crawl, so I don't see what the big deal is. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: