November 24, 2017, 04:47:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colin McRae, rally star, dies  (Read 369 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: September 17, 2007, 05:05:21 PM »

This was mentioned near the close of the Sylvania 300 yesterday and it saddened me to hear that Colin McRae and four others were killed in a recent helicopter crash:

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/rally/40291

Dr. Jerry Punch mentioned the accident in the context of a friendship McRae had struck with Jimmie Johnson.  How strange and eerie is that?  That made Doc sound like Bill Weber and reminded me that the two were colleagues at ESPN at one time, working the same pit road. Roll Eyes

By the way, McRae was a former champion of the World Rally Championship series and was one of the few names in the sport to be widely known outside the series.  He even lent his name to a video game.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:09:17 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:57:52 PM »

My heart is with the McRae family on this loss.

This part of the article listed the 4 who perished.

"The police has confirmed the identity of the victims in the helicopter crash involving former World Rally Champion Colin McRae near the Scot's own estate in the UK on Friday afternoon. Besides the 39-year-old rally star, his five-year-old son Johnny and two family friends, 27-year-old Graeme Duncan and six-year-old Ben Porcelli, have also been killed."

Colin also did a lot of Suburu commercials several years ago.  He was one of the good ones... Cry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: