November 24, 2017, 12:26:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: McLaughlin's Take on Saturday Night's race  (Read 557 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: September 10, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »

As always, Matt makes some good observations in this article, though this week, I don't think I can agree on his beer can ratings.  Clint's balls-out attempt to get the lead from Hamlin was one of the few highlights, along with the battle between the 24 and 8, but beyond this was a pretty uneventful race (as most Richmond races seem these days).  For some reason, once ISC bought Richmond from the Sawyers, the racing went downhill, IMHO.

http://www.frontstretch.com/mmclaughlin/11927/

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:23:05 PM »

Another great column by Matt!

I couldn't have expressed his emotion on the upcoming Chase better than I could.  The system may have changed, but the concept is the same: bunch up the field to create excitement in the hopes that non-fans will switch their attention to NASCAR from other sports. 

See how well it works out this year, with all races on ABC and nine out of 10 of them competing against NFL games.  My prediction is that the Chase will average only a third of the audience of the NFL.

And don't forget that the baseball playoffs take place during the Chase.  How many fans will be left then to watch the Chase? Huh?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 03:00:11 PM »

I know that this is a personal gripe on my part, but why was it necessary to dig on lawyers right off the bat in the paragraph about the AT&T settlement. Especially when god ole Matt goes on to point out that the networks will be reaping millions of dollars from ad revenue from AT T over the next two seasons.
 After all, Matt is part of the media, and the media are the ones who REALLY make big bucks. After devoting nearly 40 years of my life to my profession, and doing it damned honorably, I'm getting really tired of cheap shots like this one. Zero beer cans for Matt this week.
  Sorry, had to vent.
Dick

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 08:20:11 PM »

I finally got around to reading the link.

Dick, I see where you are coming from.  It is so sad that all the money involved nowadays has turned this into a dog eat dog type of business.  And it is even worse when the publicity puts a bad light on some people and things.

One thing I think is that AT&T got very good advertising from Nextel because of this situation and I am glad they did although I did not like the situation.  It made Nextel/Sprint, Nascar and 'their' attorneys look bad but I am not so sure the AT&T ones looked so bad. 
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »

IAfter devoting nearly 40 years of my life to my profession, and doing it damned honorably, I'm getting really tired of cheap shots like this one.

Dick,

What kind of law do you practice?  I've been meaning to ask you that for a long time.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 02:29:33 PM »

You name it and I have probably done it, at least sometime in my checkered past. Grin
 Now, though, mostly Probate, Real estate, estate planning and some corporate/business work. And just a bit of trial work thrown in just for fun.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »

AT&T did get to sponsor Jeff Burton's in-car camera during the two-race absence, so it didn't go away completely.

As for the race last Saturday, I feel so badly for David Ragan and Johnny Sauter.  Their runs were completely overshadowed by Chase talk, especially about Dale Jr.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: