November 18, 2017, 06:32:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: villeneuve to drive for bdr  (Read 462 times)
super61
« on: August 26, 2007, 12:03:04 PM »

AND: If all goes according to plan, 1997 Formula 1 World Driving Champion and 1995 Indianapolis 500 winner Jacques Villeneuve will replace #36-Jeremy Mayfield next year in a Bill Davis Racing Nextel Cup Toyota. Team General Manager Mike Brown said over the next six weeks, Villeneuve will undergo an intensive testing program that will include seat time in a Craftsman Truck Series entry and possibly an ARCA car at Talladega Superspeedway in October. “That’s what we hope to do, that’s what he feels like he’d like to do,” Brown said when asked if Villeneuve would drive a BDR Cup car next season. “Obviously, the whole NASCAR program is new to him, so we’re going to put together an aggressive test program for him. The truck … is much like the COT car we’ll be racing next year. Obviously, he’s got to go through the validation process with NASCAR, so we’re looking at places we can go run him in trucks, maybe in the ARCA series … an aggressive test program, not only with the trucks, but with the COT cars … Kentucky (Speedway), all the different places we can go to.” Brown said sponsor 360 OTC likely will not be back with BDR next season.(SPEEDtv.com)(8-25-2007)

another seat filled under the "global diversity" program

ken

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 03:55:48 PM »

another seat filled under the "global diversity" program

I heard about this Friday night on XM and all I could think of was:  that ensures another stock car driver won't ever make it to Winston Cup...   Angry

I readily admit my prejudice against open-wheel drivers...Sorry, I just see SO many talented guys in USAR, late models, ASA, ARCA, Busch East and West, etc. that are being by-passed so we can have more "homogenizing" of racing.  I don't even see it as an "international" thing at all, especially since Hornish is American.  Ugh...I'll just always be a fan of guys who came up a more traditional way through stock cars - even if they started in go-karts or sprint cars, they NEED to pay their dues in lower level stock car series IMHO...

Cheryl
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 03:59:29 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »

Teams hire drivers like Montoya, Villenueve, and others because their names are familiar in other countries in which NASCAR is trying to "grow the sport," because the sponsors that spend $15-20 million to sponsor the race cars want something in return from their large investments, and in the end because these entities are simply impatient.

What I mean is that, instead of growing someone's career over a period of years, they insist on immediate results with those who have talent but no experience in these particular kinds of cars.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: