November 23, 2017, 06:40:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Groove at Bristol  (Read 685 times)
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« on: August 23, 2007, 12:18:33 AM »

This is from TruckSeries.com writer Charles Krall about the new track surface at Bristol

Top Groove the Place to Be?

The USAR Hooters Pro Cup Series race just wrapped up at BMS. We spent a few moments out in the corners watching, and one thing is pretty clear: the top groove, once no-man's land, is already looking pretty sporty. Many cars were running the top side in this race, not just when they were in traffic but when they were alone as well. That should mean that the high side should be a major player later this evening when the NCTS gets rolling.

That would be MOST excellent!

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:00:11 PM »

So what was your conclusion after watching the race, Lou?

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 04:25:35 PM »

So what was your conclusion after watching the race, Lou?

It was a good thing. Made for a much more entertaining Bristol race (IMO) rather than just a wreck'em race. They will still wreck plenty of times, but the overall racing SHOULD be better. You could get a slight feel for how racing at 'The Rock' used to be, except with a much shorter track.

As long as the drivers are willing to move up and use it, Bristol could actually get MORE popular, if that's possible.

What did you all think?

Lou

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »

I saw the Craftsman Truck race last night and the racing was much better than I have seen before.  Previously, it was "follow the leader," especially up front.  Last night, at least the drivers who were trailing have a chance.

But I still want to watch the Friday and Saturday night races with different race vehicles to see how the new track affects them.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 05:42:33 PM »

I thought that it was a good race. I did not pay much attention to the groves, though. There did seem to be quite a bit of real, side by side racing.
And of course, while the 6 truck is my favorite, I was happy to see J B get another win.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 08:10:20 PM »

I think they used a lot more of the track than they have in recent years.  But they still seemed to want to be far from the wall - and that's the faster groove at legendary tracks like Winchester and Salem. 

I'd like to hope the Busch and Cup guys will do the same as USAR and the trucks did last night.  But too often, I've seen the Cup guys particularly run very differently from other series. 

But I would be happy if there is the ability to pass without having to bash the guy in front of you out of the way.  That's something that has been missing from Bristol for the past 10 years IMHO.  And why I feel it's been very overated as "great" racing.

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 09:11:23 PM »

I thought the race was a good one.  Looks like the change at the track is for the better.  New concrete but I don't know what else they did.  Hopefully the cup cars will be better and the passing will be done cleaner with the extra grooves.  But again, I think it depends on the particular driver.  If I remember correctly, there are several that will bump to get someone loose so they can pass, several who seem to have no fear getting up by the wall, several who seem to be like bulls in a china closet, several who will just stay out of the way in the back, several who will hug the bottom line and several who don't seem to think before they start to pass someone and take them up to the wall.  I think I have covered all 43 drivers in those descriptions.

That said, it should be a good race.   Wink
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 09:14:03 PM by Vivian » Logged
shawn
Legend

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 12:10:53 AM »

Thought the race was a good one.  Nice to see a multi-groove track.  Be interesting how the Busch and Cup races turn out this weekend.

sally
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 11:50:50 AM »

If I'm not too tired (or down with heat exhaustion) I'll let you know how the racing looked at Bristol today.  I'm really hoping for them to use hat second groove!

Sally
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 08:40:25 PM »

Hey, Sally!   Smiley

That would be good to get a first hand report from someone who is actually there.  Hope you are having fun and making good memories.

Stay safe also! 

Viv
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 05:03:08 PM »

At least Sally got to see the last four laps live with her own eyes!  No messed-up satellite feed to worry about. Wink

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: