November 23, 2017, 07:32:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Live Observations from Bristol Race  (Read 729 times)
sally
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:48:13 AM »

500 laps and 2 leaders.  I have o idea what the TV coverage ws like, but this is the firsttime in 7 years of attending night races at Bristol that I saw more fans looking at their watches to see how early they thought they could head hme, rather than watching the race.  There were a lot of people leaving with 50 to go.  From the stands, the race lacked much intensity.  that Bristol 'thrill' was gone last night.  I don't know if it was the new track, the tires, the COT, or the crapshoot format making oo many teams with nothing to gain and too much to lose, but  the race the past 2 years hasn't been that exciting...and no, Cheryl, I don't mean that there have to be multiple wrecks to make it exciting.  Although,David Reagan tried to fill that lack single handedly, didn't he?

Sally
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:52:31 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 12:55:31 PM »

Sally,

I moved this from the "rate the broadcast" thread since it was about the race itself not the broadcast.

As to the racing at Bristol, I haven't thought it was very good (on TV or at the Busch race live last year) for quite some time now.  Glad to hear you finally get what I've been talking about.   Wink  As Matt McLaughlin would say "more sizzle than steak..."

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 01:53:53 PM »

Cheryl, I know that you hate Bristol, but I still don't agree with you about that.  I love going there, and usually love watching the racing there.  I think the problems have more to do with the crapshoot than the track.  So, I guess I still don't 'get it'.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 02:49:51 PM »

Cheryl, I know that you hate Bristol, but I still don't agree with you about that. 

No, I actually like Bristol a lot!  I love the high banking and just wish they'd been using more of it the last few years.  I just didn't like what they did to the track surface when they concreted it the first time.  There were so many wrecks because you couldn't pass.  I actually thought it was awesome to see cars have two grooves again.  The wrecks just started near the end this time because certain drivers got impatient (okay, I'm just bummed that Ricky Rudd had a decent run thwarted by one of those impatient guys).   Wink

BTW, here's Matt's rating of the race from today's article:

"I’ll give this one four cans of icy cold Coors Light. Watching real racing rather than wrecking at Bristol left me feeling less dirty than the usual Bristol Night race…even if it wasn’t as much fun."

I couldn't agree more!   Grin 

Here's the entire article:

http://www.frontstretch.com/mmclaughlin/11556/

I also agree with "ignoring" the "event" on Labor Day weekend.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 06:11:23 PM »

I was very disappointed in the race, especially after seeing the action in the truck race on Wednesday and the Busch race (OK, all but the very end, but no one saw the end live unless one was there) on Friday.

I appreciate that the quality of racing was better; I just wish that two cars didn't take off and leave the rest of the field behind.  For the best racing, action must happen at all points of the racetrack - front, middle and back.

I still cannot believe how smoothly the race went.  The first 120 laps were caution free, something I never thought I see at Bristol.  That being said, the racing at Bristol seems to be out of balance - either too much bumping and banging or too little.

Nevertheless, I would rather go to a race at Bristol than to one at most other tracks.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:31:57 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:05:08 PM »

Sally, I was waiting to see what someone there would be saying.  Like most of the other fans, I thought a race with only 2 runaway leaders stunk.  I don't know how any fan can say that is exciting.
sally
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:23:21 PM »

Actually, I was surprised tha nascar didn't resort to their 'mystery debris' cautions to close the field up and give teams a chance to adjust their cars to be more competitive.  I must confess that for a fleeting moment, watching Michael Waltrip race Kasey Kane so hard...when he was more than a lap down at that point, I wondered if Nascar had requested he do that to close up the competition without having to resort to a yellow flag.  I don't think the COT helped the racing much.  Until they can figure out how to make them turn, they just don't help improve the ability to pass.  But, when everyone is racing basically identical cars....

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 09:58:34 PM »

Lou and I were just discussing this and agreed that in the past all the wrecks enabled the field to tighten up the leaders (just like they do at Michigan).  Since there were multiple grooves this race, there were less wrecks; therefore, the leaders (both Edwards and Kahne) who had very strong cars were able to pull so far ahead of the rest of the pack.

But people seem to forget Kenseth led 415 laps en route to win the race two years ago.  Basically, I have no memory of that race at all - so is that a good race?  YMMV

Guy from Bristol just said there 2147 "passes for position" on XM.  There were only 900 such passes in the spring.  No, these weren't for the lead, but when I'm at a race live, I want to see passing all around the field and many times could care less about the lead.  To me, that much passing makes for a better viewing experience overall.  Yes, wrecks can tighten up the field, but that ain't racing IMHO...

Cheryl
shawn
Legend

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 12:25:36 AM »

I think its hard to judge the track on just one race.  There were 2 dominant cars that pretty much made the race at front a bore, Goodyear brought a very hard tire that drivers commented on.  I think if Goodyear can bring a softer tire, and theres some better racing up front, people will complain less. 

I don't understand why people think one groove bump and wreck the car in front of you is good racing.  I'd much rather watch a race that has multiple grooves and good side by side racing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: