November 20, 2017, 08:28:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ESPN leaves viewers in the dark, literally  (Read 861 times)
BrettBaldeck
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:44:24 AM »

Did anyone see the Busch Race form Bristol? Three laps to go and thhere was a three wide battle for the lead and all of a sudden "POOF" the screen goes black and then an ESPN2 screen comes up, and they go to commercial soon after. They came back just as the cars crossed the line. They said it was a satelittle feed problem. So they showed the last three laps in replay. Not something ESPN needed.
super61
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 11:39:42 AM »

that was the absolute worst coverage of any race i have ever seen.... way too many missed restarts and cautions, i understand you cannot predict or schedule those incidents, but manage them better!!!!!!! and who cares about the cut away car, show us the action in the pits.  i know we talk about the good old days of espn, but someone there must have been working for foxnews before running the production truck at espn

yikes!!! as i said a thousand times, thank god for the professionals at mrn

ken
sally
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 12:25:01 PM »

Sorry to hear bout the TV problems...one of the best finishes at Bristol in years!  Hot and humid, but great 2 wide racing!  Just have to survive one more day of heat! 

I think that plain day glo car of Burton's speaks volumes.  Maybe AT&T should just put "You know who" on the hood and that would make Nascar happy?  We all know the sponsor, don't we?  And, just how well has that grandfather clause worked keeping RCR from running a sponsorless car?

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 02:28:49 PM »

i know we talk about the good old days of espn, but someone there must have been working for foxnews before running the production truck at espn

Remember Neil Goldberg returned to ESPN after 5 years at Fox...I think that explains it.

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 04:58:26 PM »

While I accept Dr. Jerry Punch's explanation of what happened at the end of last night's Food City 250, the timing was very unfortunate.  It looked like the end of a competition on "reality television" when the host says he's ready to announce the winner, but the telecast cuts to a commercial break.  Bummer! Sad

This also reminded me of something I read about the second Joe Louis-Max Schmeling fight.  The German radio broadcast cut off as Schmeling was about to be counted out, as Louis had beaten him up so badly.  Of course, this wasn't sabotage as that was, but...

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
BrettBaldeck
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 05:48:29 PM »

Its not really anyones fault at ESPN. It was just really, really unfortunate and bad luck that the time it happend.

But with that said, this is not the first time it happend. It also happend a few weeks ago at Watkins Glen during a Nextel Cup Practice Session. Perhaps it is something ESPN should be looking into.
shawn
Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 08:01:48 PM »

Kinda of reminded me of the last episode of the Sopranos.  But in all fairness, its not the first event I've watched, be it baseball, football, racing, that there was a satellite problem. 

I'm not sure why they had to go to commercial w/20 laps left, when they had a red flag period they could have used to show commercials.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 05:15:32 PM »

Jayski has a quote from an article where ESPN says it "was human error" and they will take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again.  When I heard about the exciting ending and them losing the satellite feed, the first thing I thought of was that someone got so excited about the on-track battle that they accidentally tripped and pulled a plug.  Based on this comment about "human error," it sounds like I might not be that far off.   laugh

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 06:27:41 PM »

When I heard about the exciting ending and them losing the satellite feed, the first thing I thought of was that someone got so excited about the on-track battle that they accidentally tripped and pulled a plug.  Based on this comment about "human error," it sounds like I might not be that far off.   laugh

Maybe whoever did it could not believe that a NASCAR Busch Series race could have such an exciting finish. laugh

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 08:11:44 PM »

Maybe it was a bit late, but they did show us the final laps in totality so I can forgive that blackout.  Nothing is perfect anymore so I am gonna refuse to let it agitate me although all the in car cameras did take a big toll on making it less enjoyable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: