November 18, 2017, 04:51:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: functioning tail lights?  (Read 1445 times)
kgregg
Veteran

« on: July 27, 2004, 08:41:45 PM »

from Jayski.... Having functioning taillights on race cars, meanwhile, would be a radical change. They could play a marginal role in helping a driver avoid plowing into the car in front of him, an issue on restarts during several recent races. But drivers likely would not want the driver behind them able to tell precisely when they were braking heading into a turn; that would allow the trailing driver to better judge where passing might be easier.

I don't think the functioning tail lights are a good idea.  Correct me if I am wrong, but when a driver "checks up", he usually just lifts his foot off the gas (without using the brake).  Someone could check up and the car's tail light would never go on.  Where is the benefit in this case?
Vivian
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 08:47:33 PM »

That is one of the asinine ideas I have ever heard.  Imagine how erroneous the lights would be.  Braking just to get someone off your tail and just letting up if someone behind you were on probabtion and they really looked at the situation.  Wins and crashes could really be manipulated then, don't you think?
sally
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 08:51:59 PM »

That's almost as good an idea as the crapshoot idea.  They think they've seen brake-checking before....
Sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 09:11:06 PM »

are they really serious  about this?headlights thats nuts like mcenroe said they can not be serious!!!!!
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 03:49:29 AM »

Doesn't F1 use them or is that just for rain races?

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 03:33:19 PM »

no f1 doen't use tail lights at all
sally
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 04:56:33 PM »

Am I confused (totally possible), or have I seen a single tail light on F1 cars as they leave the pits area?
Sally
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 09:17:15 PM »

I swear I saw a flashing red light on the back of a car this weekend.  I don't think it was in the middle of the race, but it may have been in the pre-race show.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 03:22:07 PM »

that may be for safety purposes only.
Lou
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 07:37:19 PM »

I think it would be a bad idea to put taillights on the cars. Just think about  how much longer cleanup would take after Tony ran into Kasey. All that broken glass all over the place  :wink:

Lou

Vivian
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 08:16:10 PM »

Lou, are you trying to get my dander up???
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: