November 22, 2017, 07:33:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feedback on NASCAR in Primetime  (Read 3530 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: August 20, 2007, 11:27:04 PM »

We recorded this show last Wed. and I'm just getting around to watching it.  It's a little better than expected, but some of the fans are just too melodramatic for me.  I don't think I've ever had "the hair stand up on the back of my neck" at the start of a race.   laugh  Another fan they interviewed said "it's gets my juices flowing."   Roll Eyes  But, so far it's not too bad.  Anyone else watch this show?

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 02:27:34 AM »

For some reason, my local ABC affiliates decided to air a show on polygamy on Wednesday at 9 PM instead of the nascar show.  I have no idea if it was good or not.

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 12:18:20 PM »

For some reason, my local ABC affiliates decided to air a show on polygamy on Wednesday at 9 PM instead of the nascar show. 

I think the show is at 10 pm on Wednesdays, but not really sure.  I just set a season pass on the Tivo and it goes out and finds it whenever it was shown. 

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:34:48 AM »

I don't know when they are airing it where you are, Cheryl, but is is listed in my TV guide as airing on Wednesday at 9 PM on ABC.  they didn't show it here then.  Or at 10.  I checked.

Sally
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 01:36:05 AM »

.  I don't think I've ever had "the hair stand up on the back of my neck" at the start of a race.   laugh   Anyone else watch this show?
Cheryl

I have no reason to watch it , especially since it is on ABC which makes it nothing more than a commercial for the "chase".
 I did have "the hair stand up on the back of my neck" at the start but that was during the flyover.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »

I was impressed by the young Carl Edwards fan who seemed to know everything about racing.

Other than the fan comments, there was no difference between this show and Drivers 360/Drivers Non-Stop.  The quality was actually worse than either of those shows. 

The worse part was the tease "will Mark Martin walk away?"  Obviously, if you've followed NASCAR at all, you knew the answer months ago.  Obviously, that part of the show was geared to those who have never watched NASCAR at all.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 05:24:40 PM »

I was impressed by the young Carl Edwards fan who seemed to know everything about racing.

After watching the entire show now, I have to question how many of those people really were fans.  Especially since they interjected the actor from the defunct ABC show Invasion into the interviews, acting like he was a regular fan.  Makes me really question whether that kid was a fan or just another "plant."   Angry

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 05:15:05 PM »

I watched about 45 minutes of it last night. The primary subject was the "big one" at Talledega, and the "adult partying" which goes on there. Shades of those shows on Sturgis and Daytona bike week! Roll Eyes
 I like Jeff Burton, so the part featuring Jeff and Kim, his wife were interesting to me.
  Otherwise, it kinda reminded me why I'm not inclined to ever go to a race at Talledega. Tongue

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:54:11 PM »

the "adult partying" which goes on there. Shades of those shows on Sturgis and Daytona bike week! Roll Eyes

Some of that type of partying goes on at Talladega; however, the number of "flashing" incidents ABC portrayed and a lot of the other stuff was really out of proportion if you ask me.  75% of the folks camping there are in the family campgrounds and act like adults.  ABC made it seem like everyone there was out of control and I can guarantee you from personal experience, that is not the case.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 07:27:06 PM »

Well I am glad to hear that, Cheryl. Do you suppose this was some kind of overdramatization by the producers for the sake of shock value or something?? Would the media ever do such a thing? Is today Thursday? Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 07:33:30 PM »

Well I am glad to hear that, Cheryl. Do you suppose this was some kind of overdramatization by the producers for the sake of shock value or something??

Yes.  And apparently John Daly thinks the same thing about shock value per his article about last night's show:

http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 09:38:33 PM »

I watched the show at 10pm Pacific time last night.  I guess it was different, but not something I would make a point of scheduling to watch every week like I do Wind Tunnel.

One thing I caught last night was that Johnny Sauter's girlfriend is a dramatic person who has a personality that is kind of far out.  Wishing bad luck on others and crying and just putting on the emotions for one reason or another.  Remember, this is just my opinion of how I saw her portrayed.

Another thing was Delana Harvick and how involved she is with the business.  She definitely is a very pretty girl, but does not behave like all the other model type females in the garage.  I, personally, think her involvement makes her an asset even thought I may not care for the way she and Kevin sometimes interact or talk to each other..  JMO...
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 02:03:26 AM »

I've never seen the show and never will but from I heard on the radio today editing of the show can make Johnny Sauter's girlfriend look like "a nutcase" when she may be a totally different person than ABC makes her appear to be. I don't know if this is true or not just passing on some radio discussion I heard about the show.

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 12:26:55 PM »

I didn't watch the show yet this week, but remember TV has made a habit of showing a driver's wife crying when he wins for about 10 years now.  I've always thought that was over the top - both the coverage and the reaction.  I can see them crying if their man loses, but not winning.  But from what I've seen of Sauter's girlfriend in past episodes, she seemed like a pretty level-headed girl.  But I wouldn't be surprised by any of them "acting out" for the camera since that's what TV seems to think the reality-TV fans want to see.   Angry

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 03:30:57 PM »

One thing I caught last night was that Johnny Sauter's girlfriend is a dramatic person who has a personality that is kind of far out.  Wishing bad luck on others and crying and just putting on the emotions for one reason or another.  Remember, this is just my opinion of how I saw her portrayed.

Another thing was Delana Harvick and how involved she is with the business.  She definitely is a very pretty girl, but does not behave like all the other model type females in the garage.  I, personally, think her involvement makes her an asset even thought I may not care for the way she and Kevin sometimes interact or talk to each other.. 

I watched the show Saturday morning and I guess I didn't find Sauter's girlfriend's actions concerning rooting against other drivers that over the top.  At that point, Johhny was fighting for the top 35 with Mears and Kyle Petty.  How many times do we as fans wish bad luck on those our favorites are competing against?  If we're doing, don't you think someone who has a real vested interest in how other drivers finish is only human to be upset if someone outscores her boyfriend?

Now, I did think she shouldn't have made comments about having to clean up after him in the bathroom though.  That just sounded like a kid who wanted to be outrageous for reality TV to me and was something I really didn't need to hear about.

As to Delana Harvick, I think she is a very astute business woman, based on the success of their Busch and truck operations.  I know she used to be Randy Lajoie's PR person, so she obviously has some experience in business, but she and Kevin have one of the most successful operations owned by a current driver.  And I admore their sucess a lot.  Just wish they'd keep Busch regulars in their cars.

I also admired Delana a lot for speaking up and saying they didn't feel the need to have kids. 

Cheryl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: