November 23, 2017, 05:39:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow!  (Read 722 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: August 12, 2007, 10:15:20 PM »

I have to say I was impressed with Harvick's patience.  A couple of years ago, he would've been down on the ground brawling with Pablo!   laugh  Is he on probation or something? 

When Jeff Burton got out of the car and went over, I almost thought we were going to see the 21st century version of the Allison/Allison/Yarborough fight at Daytona.   Grin

Cheryl
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 12:09:53 AM by Cheryl » Logged
drpep (brian)
Curmudgeon

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 01:47:53 AM »

[quote author=Cheryl link=topic=3249.msg18011#msg18011 date=1186953320 

When Jeff Burton got out of the car and went over, I almost thought we were going to see the 21st century version of the Allison/Allison/Yarborough fight at Daytona.   Grin

Cheryl
[/quote]

Sitting in the stands I thought we were going to see a return to early 20th century America with all the racist comments flying about. Sad

I tuned in to watch a Nationwide race and all I got was Danica.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 02:23:52 PM »

Okay, let's not start any debates about social issues here.  Please remember that is one of my cardinal rules for this forum.

Thanks!

Here's what Jayski has about the incident (which Sally mentioned in another thread):

"No fines planned for Harvick-Montoya: On the first turn after a restart [lap 18 at Watkins Glen on Sunday], #1-Martin Truex Jr. got into the back of #42-Juan Montoya, who climbed the track and got into the side of #29-Kevin Harvick to send both into a spin. As Montoya's car came to a rest, Harvick drove the front of his car to block him from continuing to the garage. Harvick, unaware that Truex instigated the incident, then gave Montoya an inappropriate gesture that Montoya obviously didn't appreciate. The two climbed out of their cars and met on the track, with Montoya grabbing the bottom of Harvick's helmet like a football player would an opponent's face mask. The two then had an in-your-face verbal exchange that continued until Montoya shoved Harvick in the chest. NASCAR officials and Harvick's teammate, #31-Jeff Burton [also involved in the wreck when he couldn't avoid the #42 car], eventually separated the two. "I went to Kevin and said, 'It wasn't my fault. I got hit from behind,'" Montoya said. "He started shouting and grabbing me and I don't appreciate that. I have a little respect for the guy. Well, I used to have a little respect for the guy like that, because he helped me out a lot to start with." For the record, neither is expected to be fined. "I don't think they were fighting," said Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition. "They were discussing things." Said series director John Darby, "I thought it was cool as hell."(more at ESPN.com)(8-13-2007)"

Cheryl
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 03:00:11 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 03:02:43 PM »

Jeff would have been the peace maker, although it was clear that he too was very unhappy.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 07:29:09 PM »

I love John Darby's quote! Smiley Smiley  Then again, I wonder if he'll have a job next week considering how blunt the comments seemed to be. Sad

So Brian was actually there?  That, too, was cool! Cool  I'll be going over to General Chit Chat to see if he has anything more to add.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:41:39 AM »

It was an interesting "confrontation".  Once again, NASCAR's logic defies me.  Harvick put his car in a position to block Montoya's car from possibly continuing.....and that's not "detrimental" to racing?  I can't help but believe if different drivers were involved, there would be different penalties.

I thought the confrontation was really humorous, what kind of damage can you do in full face helmets in a fist fight?

It was great media, been on all the local stations as the highlight of the race; reckon saving Jeff  Gordon some embarrassment.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 03:08:51 PM »

good points, James. The real sadness is that the "fight" will be what the media concentrates on rather than the really good racing involved in this case.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 04:52:37 PM »

It's not just the "fight" (wasn't much of one in my opinion) that the media has shown.  The race has also been overshadowed in its mind by the bizarre incident of the "fan" trying to get Matt Kenseth's autograph during the red flag.  Credit Kenseth for turning the imbecile down flat; even during a red flag, his mind is clearly on racing and I don't blame him.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:01:18 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »

Dick wrote:

The real sadness is that the "fight" will be what the media concentrates on rather than the really good racing involved in this case

I totally agree with that.  There was some great racing and to me it was the best race of the year so far because the broadcast played a good part, for a change.  The camera's seemed to be at the right place at the right time to enable us to see a lot of the competition that was going on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: