November 19, 2017, 03:29:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kyle Busch to Gibbs  (Read 2322 times)
Vivian
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 08:02:35 PM »

Tony did say in several interviews (on tv) that he sees himself staying with JGR with Zippy as his only crew chief and Home Depot as his sponsor until he decides to retire and I never heard anything contrary to that.  So I would like to know where you got your info, Desmond.?

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 08:03:17 PM »

What? Tony Stewart wants to leave Joe Gibbs Racing?  I hadn't heard that before.  Then again, we've seen that any driver can move anywhere at any time, so why am I shocked?

No Desmond, that is just supposition at this point, not fact, nor is there any real basis for it to be fact, at least not yet..... Grin

Vivian, I think we got Desmond excited for nothing. No basis to think that Tony will leave JGR, but I kinda hope he does. Grin
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 08:06:03 PM by old hot rodder » Logged

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Vivian
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 08:12:25 PM »

Dick, sometimes it is so hard to feign indifference and not let emotions show, but I am determined to stay true to my drivers just like I did with the 49'ers when they were crap.   Wink
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 08:34:42 PM »

Dick, sometimes it is so hard to feign indifference and not let emotions show, but I am determined to stay true to my drivers just like I did with the 49'ers when they were crap.   Wink

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, either, Vivian. I would probably stay a Matt K fan no matter what, (Dodge, Chevy). Toyota might not be acceptable.
 Heck, it took a year or so for me to reconcile with the thought of Jeff Burton driving a Chevy! Grin Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 04:45:45 AM »

There seems to be many football analogies in this thread and I don't follow pro football anymore; but they seem appropriate in some ways to JGR.  Joe Gibbs is a mastermind in many facets of life and personalities IMHO, but he's never had to deal with three All-Star QB's at once.  Tony, Denny and Kyle are all "All-Star" material (I know, Tony has proven his "All Star" abilities to me); but to see the team trying to massage the three egos and keep them all happy???  It will be interesting to watch, especially with a predicted switch to Toyota.  I guess I'm overly optimistic and too nostalgic here, but I guess JGR is tired of being "3rd fiddle"  in the GM camp and decided to join the future Champion manufacturer of NASCAR.

JGR in Toyota?  I know all rumors indicate it's a "done deal', but it'll be tougher to digest than eel sushi.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 04:49:38 PM »

Ken, I apologize for the misunderstanding from your earlier post.  I read it the first time and thought that it was a credible rumor instead of simply you thinking out loud.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2007, 08:41:59 PM »

Dick wrote:

I would probably stay a Matt K fan no matter what, (Dodge, Chevy). Toyota might not be acceptable.

Although I am not a Roush fan nor an Edwards fan or even Ford, I have always liked Matt Kenseth and Greg Biffle and I cheer for them after my main favorites so I guess sometimes I am not as loyal to the makes as I once was.  The Busch brothers I can take or leave.  I think they both are good drivers, but sometimes other things get in the way. I do find myself admiring some of their driving skills at times although others may frown upon my feelings.  Azn
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 04:02:35 PM »

From Jayski, part of the equation has been announced:

"Yeley says he will leave JGR at end of season: While Kyle Busch would not confirm reports that he has a deal to drive for Joe Gibbs Racing in 2008, it became clearer that is the case when J.J. Yeley acknowledged he is out of the #18 car Busch is expected to drive. Yeley said he's leaving JGR but wouldn't go as far as to say Busch would be his replacement. Yeley acknowledged having talked to officials at DEI, RCR, Robert Yates Racing and the Wood Brothers, but wouldn't elaborate on how serious they are. RCR owner Richard Childress said Yeley is a serious prospect to be his fourth driver. "J.J.'s a good racer," he said. "He'd do a good job." Ganassi Racing, Hall of Fame Racing and Evernham Motorsports also could be in the mix. Yeley hopes wherever he lands the owner will give him more support than he got at JGR this season. "We never made huge changes to see if there was something out there that was going to help the program,'' he said. Yeley asked team president J.D. Gibbs a month ago if he was considering changes to bring the #18 up to par with the teams of Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin. "[He said] there were not going to be any changes,'' Yeley said. There could be plenty of changes for that team next season, from the switch to Busch to possibly a change in manufacturer and primary sponsor. "I think they're going to do everything that's in their best interest that they feel is right, and you know if they feel Chevrolet is their manufacturer of choice then more power to them,'' Busch said. "If they feel like Ford, Toyota or Dodge is their best interest, then more power to them. You know, they've got their own engine program, they've got a lot of great resources. I think they're still in that decision-making process. They're looking at all of the cars, laying them out. Just as I was to pick a team, they're doing it for a manufacturer.''(ESPN.com)(8-11-2007)"

Cheryl
Vivian
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 08:58:37 PM »

According to reports I heard yesterday on tv, they will make the formal announcement about Kyle on Tuesday.  And then I saw the same thing on Jayski today.

Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 05:53:20 PM »

From Jayski:

"UPDATE 2 - OFFICIAL: Joe Gibbs Racing (JGR) has signed 22-year-old Kyle Busch to drive for the #18 team in Nextel Cup beginning in 2008. “We’re extremely pleased to have Kyle Busch as a part of the family here at Joe Gibbs Racing,” said J.D. Gibbs, president of JGR. “Kyle is extremely talented, as his track record has proven, and he had a lot of teams to choose from in determining who would give him the best chance to win. Obviously, we’re glad he chose JGR, and he’ll have all the tools and resources he needs to win races and contend for championships.” Busch comes to JGR a proven winner in each of NASCAR’s national touring series, with four Craftsman Truck Series victories, eight Busch Series wins and four Nextel Cup triumphs. “After talking with a lot of different teams and visiting their shops, Joe Gibbs Racing is where I want to be,” said Busch, whose contract with JGR runs through the 2010 season. “The Nextel Cup Series is filled with good teams and good people, but the moment I saw the shop and began talking with Joe and J.D. Gibbs, there was a level of comfort that made me feel like this is where I belong. I want to win races and championships, and Joe Gibbs Racing’s three-car/one-team philosophy gives me the best opportunity to do that.” Busch will take over for J.J. Yeley, current driver of the #18 Interstate Batteries Chevrolet, following the conclusion of the 2007 season. He’ll begin pre-season testing as a teammate to two-time Nextel Cup champion Tony Stewart and 2006 Nextel Cup rookie of the year Denny Hamlin. The 2008 season will mark Busch’s fourth full season in Nextel Cup. He currently competes for Hendrick Motorsports, where he ran a six-race schedule in 2004 before joining the series full-time in 2005. "While excited about my new opportunity with Joe Gibbs Racing, I remain committed to finishing this year strong and running for the championship,” Busch said.(JGR PR), Toyota was not mentioned in the PR and not asked by the media in the first 30 minutes of the press confernece, SPEED went to other programming after 30 minutes. If a transcript of the press conference is made available, it will be posted.(8-14-2007)"

These announcements are starting to be pretty after the fact these days.  It appears there are no surprises these days...

Cheryl

Vivian
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 08:26:41 PM »

Congratulations to Kyle!  I liked the football type jersey they presented to him at the conference.

I hope things work out there.  And I will have my Interstate calendar on the wall as usual next year.  As I said earlier, I do think he is a good driver and I also think all three teams will get along.  Joe is such a good manager of people and their behavior that I don't look for any more than the usual amount of problems there.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2007, 04:50:44 PM »

Good luck, Kyle!

So the straight-up trade scenario (Dale Jr. to Hendrick, Kyle Busch to DEI) does not happen.  Still lots of unanswered questions: who will drive the #8 car?  And who will Budweiser sponsor?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: