November 23, 2017, 07:16:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minnesota bridge collapse  (Read 368 times)
Desmond
All-Star

« on: August 02, 2007, 05:20:25 PM »

I would like to apologize to all for you for my relative lack of participation at the end of last night's chat.

As I may have told you before, I live with my parents and last night they decided to turn the channel to the local newscasts, which in this area start early in the afternoon.  At 4:40 p.m. Pacific time (7:40 ET), the anchor reported that a bridge over the Mississippi River had collapsed in Minneapolis, MN.  The local anchor moved on to other news, so I had to leave the room and go to another set to monitor the story.  Therefore, I could not stay on the computer and participate in the rest of the chat.  I also opted to tell any of you about the story, either.  Possibly because it was so startling, with almost nothing known.

Well, we now know how bad it was.  And America mourns again.

Cry

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 04:13:27 PM »

Desmond, it drew me in too. I intended to work on my truck, but when I saw those pictures, I was kinda mesmerized. Very sad.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:36:54 PM »

On second thought, the passage "America mourns again" does not quite apply - yet.  Granted, this is a very tragic story, but I don't see the candlelight vigils and the shrines on the road, as I remember seeing a lot of after the Virginia Tech massacre and other stories of this type.  Maybe they'll spring up by the weekend.  (Maybe someone on this forum will be part of this communal grieving!)

Anyway, I heard this morning that pro basketball coach Flip Saunders was yards away from the bridge when it collapsed.  He now coaches the Detroit Pistons, but once headed the Minnesota Timberwolves and still lives in the "Twin Cities" during the offseason.

This would have made it personal for a lot of people who are basketball fans.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 09:14:59 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: