November 24, 2017, 03:46:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ginn and DEI?  (Read 766 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 24, 2007, 10:24:04 PM »

Apparently there's a rumor or announcement that Ginn has been sold to DEI.  Claire just mentioned it, but is busy talking to the ESPN people right now.  Waiting to hear more...

Also, she had Sterling on at the top of the show and he says he hasn't been given any explanation by Bobby Ginn (hasn't even spoken to him personally) about his status - just that he's out of the car.  Sterling says they refuse to return his or his lawyer's calls.  Bascially Sterling said he's not able to drive for anybody else because then Ginn wouldn't pay him "the money they owe" him.  Man-oh-man!  This is the same boat that Shane Huffman is in with JR Motorsports.  I can't believe these millionaires can get away with this stuff!  But I don't blame either Sterling, Joe, or Shane for being frustrated by the lack of communications from these organizations. 

Edit:
From Jayski:  "UPDATE 2: Dave Moody reported on Sirius Speedway Tuesday afternoon that Ginn Racing has reached a deal with Dale Earnhardt Inc. to sell the #13 owner points and lock #15-Paul Menard into the field. An official announcement is expected later today.(7-24-2007)"

Cheryl
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 10:28:56 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:30:52 PM »

Claire just gave some convoluted explanation of a supposed merger between the two.  She said neither DEI nor Ginn would make a statement as of yet, but she's had calls from employees who were at a meeting today at one of the organizations.  Something like they will merge, but the 15 car driver by Menard will become the 14 car and be housed at Ginn for the rest of the year.  The 13 (I think would go over to DEI).  That next year Ginn would only field the 01, split between Martin and Amirola.  Claire said it's not looking good for Regan Smith as he'd be odd man out in this deal...

Cheryl
super61
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:02:25 AM »

from jaysi as reported on espn:
UPDATE 2: Tim Packman talked with Dave Moody on Sirius Speedway Tuesday afternoon and stated that Dale Earnhardt, Inc. has entered into a meger/acquisition of Ginn Racing. Reportedly, the #13 team's points will go to #15-Paul Menard and he will be locked into the field. #01-Mark Martin will drive at Indianapolis under the DEI banner, and possibly the #14 team points will be sold to Furniture Row Racing and #78-Kenny Wallace to lock him into the field. It is unknown what will happen to Regan Smith, who was scheduled to drive the #14 this weekend.(7-24-2007)
UPDATE 3: ESPN's David Newton reported on NASCAR Now Tuesday that #01-Mark Martin, #1-Martin Truex, Jr., #8-Dale Earnhart, Jr, and #15-Paul Menard will drive for DEI this weekend at the Brickyard. Menard will be locked into the race using the #14 team's points. Ginn Racing CEO Jay Frye will stay with DEI. DEI will move it's motorsports operations to the Ginn facilities in Mooresville, NC. A determination has not been made on Regan Smith's future with the team. An announcment should come sometime Wednesday.(7-24-2007)

ken
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 03:58:09 AM »

I'm still trying to mentally digest all this (ain't easy for us slow Southerners).  I felt Ginn was a real up and comer at the beginning of the year, but then it seemed their only focus was on the 01 car and Joe and Sterling were pretty much left in the cold.  I'm beginning to believe the entire Ginn thing was only "smoke and mirrors".  He bought a struggling team, managed to get the personnel to make one car successful and then suckered DEI in to merging (buying) them out.  I doubt we'll see Bobby Ginn and NASCAR in the same sentence in a couple years.

I can't help but wonder what Aric Almirola must be thinking......Jeeezzz.  I guess he and Regan Smith must be crying in their beer with Joe and Sterling.

The last undigestible part is "DEI will move it's motorsports operations to the Ginn facilities in Mooresville, NC."  I haven't been to Ginn's facility, but the DEI facility is awesome.  Obviously Ginn's a salesman and he may have just made a "dash and cash" run to make Wall St. jealous.

I forecast a major east coast seismic event as Dale Sr. and Bill Jr. start spinning.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:35:01 PM »

I haven't been to Ginn's facility, but the DEI facility is awesome.

Actually I read/heard somewhere that the Ginn facility was much bigger than DEI...

Edit:  Just saw this in an article at Scene Daily:

"The teams will be split among two facilities for the time being with DEI eventually moving its Cup teams to the larger building owned by Ginn."

Also, this article by Jim Utter actually talks about the square feet of the shops:

http://www.thatsracin.com/242/story/5595.html

Hmmm...wonder if getting Mark Martin at DEI will help them deal with the pain of losing Junior?   Wink

Also, that article says that Ginn will be "a partner" at DEI, so I guess he was willing to pay Theresa (or bring a lot of assets) to buy into her company.

Cheryl
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:23:22 PM by Cheryl » Logged
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »

Let's see if I get this.  The #01 team is now a DEI team.  The #14 team is now the #15 team with driver Paul Menard.  The #13 team is completely dead.  Regan Smith is out of a ride after just a week, maybe.  Or maybe he just has to qualify on time?  Meanwhile, the #21 team (not the #22, as I posted earlier) is now guaranteed for the Brickyard.

Well, at least I thought I understood. Huh?

UPDATE: From the article: "The largest looming question in this deal is the status of driver Regan Smith.  Smith began the season sharing the No. 01 car with Martin and was scheduled to drive the No. 14 for the remainder of the season, moving into the seat vacated by Marlin, beginning at Indy.  A source said Wednesday morning that Smith will compete in Friday’s NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series race at O’Reilly Raceway Park in Indianapolis while his status is being reviewed. He will likely be free to pursue other opportunities for 2008 and beyond."

What a bummer for Smith!  It was only this past Monday that Smith talked excitedly on NASCAR Now about his new opportunity.  Now, less than a week later, it is gone. Sad
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 04:49:57 PM by Desmond » Logged

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »

Here's the official PR release via Jayski:

"Dale Earnhardt Inc. and Ginn Racing Merge; Official Announcement: Dale Earnhardt Inc. has become even stronger through a merger with Ginn Racing. Effective immediately, the team will feature the Chevys of #15-Paul Menard, #1-Martin Truex Jr., #8-Dale Earnhardt Jr., #01-Mark Martin and #01-Aric Almirola. Martin and Almirola will combine to drive the #01 Army Chevy for the remainder of the 2007 season as well as the entire 2008 season. Menard drives the Menards Chevy, Truex drives the Bass Pro Shops Chevy and Earnhardt handles driving duties of the Budweiser Chevy. All four entries are inside the top 35 in Nextel Cup points heading into this weekend's Brickyard 400. Regan Smith, who was originally slated to drive the Ginn Clubs and Resorts Chevy in the Brickyard 400, will instead compete in the Craftsman Truck Series race at Indianapolis Raceway Park Friday night in the Ginn Resorts Chevy Silverado. Specific schedules for Martin, Smith and Almirola will be announced later. In addition to Nextel Cup Series competition, the company will continue to field entries in the Busch Series, the Busch East Series and will analyze its future involvement in the Craftsman Truck Series. The numerous teams of Dale Earnhardt Inc. will operate from both the original facility built by Dale and Teresa Earnhardt as well as the nearly 180,000-square-foot facility currently housing Ginn Racing's teams. The buildings are less than five miles apart in Mooresville, N.C. Dale Earnhardt Inc.'s current management team will be responsible for all day-to- day activities and transition plans have already begun to develop. John Story, vice president of motorsports operations for DEI will oversee the expansion of the company's racing efforts. In completing this merger, points on Ginn Racing's #13 car, which was 34th in Nextel Cup owner's points, have been eliminated.(Dale Earnhardt Inc PR)(7-25-2007)"

"Eliminated..."  sort of like Sterling and Joe's careers (and most likely Smith's Cup ride).

Cheryl

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:51:59 PM »

Yep, it kinda looks like Smith, Joe and Sterling are out, Menard got the points he needs, I guess. This may benefit DEI in the long run. Teresa is no dummy, that's for sure.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 08:22:04 PM »

Yep, it kinda looks like Smith, Joe and Sterling are out, Menard got the points he needs, I guess. This may benefit DEI in the long run. Teresa is no dummy, that's for sure.

Yep, it looks like the "museum" over at DEI will have 4 cars guaranteed spots for the 2008 season unless they screw it up. Gee, how will they ever survive.  Evil

Lou

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 08:39:02 PM »

Lou, please understand that I don't particularly like this kind of deal, especially with the points dealing. I'm really wondering how long Mark Martin will stick around. Sad

William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 12:33:54 AM »

Lou, please understand that I don't particularly like this kind of deal, especially with the points dealing. I'm really wondering how long Mark Martin will stick around. Sad

They had a press conference which was on XM this afternoon.  I only heard part of it driving home, but apparently Mark said something about feeling he'd be able to drive about four more years.  I'm not making this up!  I didn't hear it myself, but Claire and some of the callers were discussing it when I got back to my car later.

Also, contrary to some speculation, I'm pretty sure this deal was not even in the wind when JR decided to leave DEI.  When Claire asked Max Siegel how long they'd been talking with Ginn, he said really only since last Tuesday.   Shocked  Talk about moving quickly!

Cheryl
Lou
Administrator
Living Legend

I wish my seat at the track was this close!

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 05:47:14 PM »

Dick, I don't like it either. I was being sarcastic. No team should be able to buy the points and race guarantee from another team.

old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 08:47:54 PM »

I think that this Max Siegel fella is pretty shrewd.
 It is all a business now, folks, no sport to it at all. Sad

William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 04:08:40 AM »

I think that this Max Siegel fella is pretty shrewd.
 It is all a business now, folks, no sport to it at all. Sad

Dick; a nice summation of the "sport".  The selling of points to another team is doing business, much like selling a driver and their past championship.  "Doing business" used to be a respectable phrase in my vocabulary, but anymore, "doing business " makes me think of a soap opera...who's getting shafted this time.  Many years ago I was taught a few business ethics (I hope it's okay to use ethics on a NASCAR board):

1.  Represent a quality, useful product.
2.  Insure the product will fit and satisfy the needs of the customer.
3.  Make sure the customer knows how to use the product successfully.
4.  Follow up with the customer to insure the product meets their expectations and if not make "things right".

I guess that's why I'm no longer successful as a salesperson (besides no personality).  I like to think my customers are happy.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 04:03:25 PM »

James, if every one lived and dealt with others that way, our world would be a much nicer place. I think about those things all time. Like when I cannot reach a live person with whom to discuss a given problem, (one of my pet peeves). This usually results from some clown's attempt to cut costs. Boo! Sad

William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: