November 24, 2017, 12:24:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newman/Haas to Purchase Yates?  (Read 596 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 25, 2007, 09:28:41 PM »

Just heard on XM that there will be a press conference this weekend at Indy with a big announcement about the future of Robert Yates Racing. Claire said her "sources" from inside the team say that Paul Newman and Carl Haas have made an offer to purchase RYR.  Wow!  This sure is a week for big news!

Stay tuned...

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 12:37:03 PM »

Not really sure what Sally and Ken were talking about during the chat last night concerning Penkse being involved with RYR.   Huh?  This is what Jayski has today (which quotes ESPN as the source):

"RYR to merge with Newman-Haas: Robert Yates Racing and Newman-Haas Racing will reveal on Friday its plans to merge, a source close to the situation confirmed to ESPN.com. A formal news conference has been set for that afternoon at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Actor Paul Newman, an avid racer and long-time team owner in open-wheel racing, and partner Carl Haas own the team currently leading the Champ Car series with driver Sebastien Bourdais, a three-time champion in the series. Yates last month at New Hampshire International said he had personally abandoned pursuit of a business partner, saying he had no debts and didn't need to get into a more pressure-packed situation answering to a partner's business demands. He did, however, say he would allow a head-hunting firm continue to look in that area. Like Robert Yates Racing, Newman-Haas has had deep ties with Ford.(ESPN.com)(7-25-2007)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 04:38:35 PM »

Like Roger Penske and Chip Ganassi before them, Newman and Haas are stepping into the world of NASCAR.  Should be interesting.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 05:29:26 PM »

Actually Carl Haas owned the team Jeremy Mayfield used to drive for a few years ago.

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:36:17 PM »

Actually Carl Haas owned the team Jeremy Mayfield used to drive for a few years ago.

Cheryl

Yes, I remember that too, Cheryl. I liked Mayfield then quite a bit. Remember when he punted old Ironhead to get a win? I loved that one.

This deal sounds to me like another infusion of cash into a basically good team. Big business, kids.

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 04:06:09 PM »

Yeah, I read that yesterday.  Wasn't that the #98 car that was once owned by Cale Yarborough?

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 04:44:32 PM »

Yeah, I read that yesterday.  Wasn't that the #98 car that was once owned by Cale Yarborough?

I believe Haas owned the 37 which was originally driven by Jeremy or Andretti (can't really remember who started where).  Then there was some flip-flop of drivers between the 98 and the 37.  Then eventually Haas sold Jeremy's team to Penske and it became the 12. 

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 03:39:22 PM »

I heard most of the press conference announcing this partnership on XM last night, but here's what Jayski has to posted:

"Robert Yates Racing and Newman/Haas/Lanigan Join Forces: Robert Yates Racing (RYR) and Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing (NHLR) have entered into a letter of intent for a partnership in NASCAR’s Nextel Cup and Busch Series. The team will be named Yates/Newman/Haas/Lanigan Racing effective immediately. “This is a wonderful partnership,” said Robert Yates, founder of Robert Yates Racing. “This gives us a clear vision how to get to the top. It is our goal to continue to build so this team will be better positioned to contend for the championship.”
“NASCAR Nextel Cup racing is rapidly moving, technology-wise, to engineering areas that Newman/Haas/Lanigan has years of experience with already,” said Dan Davis, director of Ford Racing Technology. “And Robert Yates Racing brings years of engine development and race craft in the sport that is invaluable to this operation. Put that expertise together, along with joint ownership that is clearly committed to winning, and we have a Ford program that will be a contender for years to come."(RYR PR), see full PR and quotes on my #88 Team News and Links page.(7-27-2007)"

When one of the reporters asked Robert if he planned to expand to 4 teams, he said very definitely that they need to get their two cars running better first.  Glad to hear that! 

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 07:02:14 PM »

Do you think Paul Newman will do any hot laps or testing?? Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: