November 22, 2017, 09:22:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chase?  (Read 4761 times)
kgregg
Veteran

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2004, 07:59:29 PM »

Quote from: "John"

I guess it was designed to create interest in a championship challenge earlier in the season, which it has.

It was designed to boost ratings after Labor Day when the NFL starts up and fewer people watch the races.  

I don't really like the idea of the "Chase" but am willing to see how the rest of this season unfolds before passing judgement on the format.   Kevin
Vivian
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2004, 08:20:58 PM »

I kind of always kept an eye on the points, but never put much stock in them until later in the year.  I remember the year Tony won and none of the media even talked about him being champion until the last couple of races.  They were zeroed in on Mark Martin.  Desmond is correct, it is only 5 points more for the winner and I think it should be more.  In the last ten races, I guess consistancy will rule; but I would like to see a 36 race consistancy instead.  Bet the people who are not running for the C4C won't have much tv exposure the last 10 races.  In the past you could sort of figure out who was going to be the champion and that will be impossible now and it will just depend on who does not have engine, trans or any other car problems, plus whether or not they can avoid track incidents and I guess the drama will be there indeed.  Notice how Kenseth always stays clean and avoids most incidents?  No, not my prediction, but something to think about...... :wink:
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2004, 08:24:50 PM »

I'm glad I had some quotes reposted.  How do you do that anyway?

I agree with Sally, the championship was really a side story.  If I had to choose between a championship and good racing, give me good racing.  It is hard to make statistical information exciting.  I have seen grass growing that was more interesting than some championships.  Cheesy

Once someone wins the championship it's glory for the month of November and a bit of news leading up to Daytona.  The next season, what attention is paid to the current champion? It is pretty well forgotten after that.  It's great to look back in a history book, but really, a champion is remembered during the current season as much as the race winner from 2 weeks ago and then forgotten.

Tony Stewart is a champion, but what is he remembered for?  Even DW is a 3 time champion, but he is remembered as being an annoying announcer more than a champion.  Too Bad.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Vivian
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2004, 08:40:50 PM »

John, I don't know how to do that either.  Somebody, please help us!

Yes, give me good racing anytime.  As far as the champion, they are after the money I think plus to make their resume look good, moreso than the glory, but I have been known to be wrong so maybe not.... :lol:
kgregg
Veteran

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2004, 08:44:03 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"

Click the "quote" button on right hand side of the window.  

How can a rookie like me know this but not you grizzled veterans?  :wink:

Kevin
sally
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2004, 08:44:50 PM »

I'm with you, John.  The championship was just the icing on the cake.  The real reward was seeing good races.  I'm not going to care who "wins" this title, since a 10 race "champ" means nothing to me.
Sally
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2004, 09:09:01 PM »

good point sally sounds like people think that this season's champ will be devalued right?
sally
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2004, 09:12:16 PM »

I can only ask what's more impressive to you?  A team that is consistantly good over a 36 race season, or one that happens to get lucky over 10?
Sally
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 02:59:21 AM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
Once again, we are placing importance on wins instead of consistency.  BLab and Harvick are in the top 10 because they have finished consistently.

I'm not saying consistency is bad. It's fine. I don't know how to add to this other than to say if I were to win a Nextel Cup championship without winning at least once, as great a feeling as it would be, it just wouldn't feel like a full championships without at least one win. There. That's the best I could build on that.

That being said, I hope whoever is leading at the cutoff point, whether he has a win or not, picks up and runs off with the title because that means the experiment this "Chase" is has failed.

But if you ask anybody in the garage about winning a title with no race win, they'll say it doesn't feel complete because they didn't win a race. 1 win or 12, every champion wants to have at least one race win in his championship season.
sally
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2004, 03:20:31 AM »

You have a point there, but winning races isn't the be-all and end'all to me.  Last year Ryan Newman won 8 races...and DNF'd at least that many times.  If you can't finish races, you shouldn't be the champion.  I believe it's much harder to finish consistantly high in the standings for the entire season.  Win - crash - win - crash...no champ.  I think the old formula was a much better indicator of who did the best for the entire season... just seems like a much bigger deal to me.  The fact that Matt Kenseth "only" won one race last year didn't bother me at all.  The fact that he could have so many good finishes for the entire season is what makes him a true champion to me.

Earlier someone mentioned about all the various point systems that Nascar has used over the years.  Yes, BUT whatever it was, it took an entire season to win the title...not 10 races.

Sally
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2004, 03:36:55 AM »

Quote from: "sally"
You have a point there, but winning races isn't the be-all and end'all to me.  Last year Ryan Newman won 8 races...and DNF'd at least that many times.  If you can't finish races, you shouldn't be the champion.  I believe it's much harder to finish consistantly high in the standings for the entire season.  Win - crash - win - crash...no champ.  I think the old formula was a much better indicator of who did the best for the entire season... just seems like a much bigger deal to me.  The fact that Matt Kenseth "only" won one race last year didn't bother me at all.  The fact that he could have so many good finishes for the entire season is what makes him a true champion to me.

Earlier someone mentioned about all the various point systems that Nascar has used over the years.  Yes, BUT whatever it was, it took an entire season to win the title...not 10 races.

Sally

Kenseth winning once and taking the title didn't bother me either because it was Roush finally winning a Winston Cup title without getting screwed by the officials beforehand. I also agree that even if you win 10 races, yet still manage to hit the wall on many occasions, you don't deserve to be champion. That's a lot of bullcrap to me that the guy with the most races should win the championship. Michael Schumacher in Formula 1 is the only exception to that rule. Then again, Mika Hakkinen led in wins in F1 during his title runs in 1998 and '99. Damon Hill in 1996. Jacques Villeneuve in 1997, and so on. Paul Tracy won the most races in Champ Cars last year while taking the title. But all those are exceptions because they run under 20 events a year, while NASCAR teams have 36 races to work with. In Champ Cars and F1, winning the most races is almost a given to a championship because no one else can catch you. In NASCAR, if you don't step it up in the consistency department, kiss the championship goodbye.
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2004, 03:44:35 AM »

Quote from: "kgregg"
Quote from: "Vivian"

Click the "quote" button on right hand side of the window.  

How can a rookie like me know this but not you grizzled veterans?  :wink:

Kevin

Oh my God that is so simple!  Duh!  Thanks Kevin.  I'm not even close to being grizzled let alone a veteran.

Hey Vivian, like Kevin said, look at each message at the top and look over to the right, there's the quote button.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
sally
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2004, 12:06:21 PM »

John, you're right on!  The fact that the Cup season it at least half again as long as the season for most other major series is one of the things that makes a season long run so impressive.  That, and the fact that Cup races are generally much longer than other series.  Indy cars only have 1 500 mile race, and I don't think CART (or whatever they are now) has any at all, xince they don't race at MIS, and F1 is usually under 200 miles.  The number of races and the miles they run are a BIG difference.  At least, until Brian France decides that, to accommodate TV, there will be no races longer than 300 miles.  It has already been discussed, you know.
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2004, 01:58:36 PM »

Here's a good article by Mike Mulhern about the "chase."  I agree that the racing has been more lackluster than in past years.  

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031776953905&path=!sports!autoracing&s=1037645509202

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2004, 03:29:13 PM »

hey sally you're right about the length of the season it's one of things that first drew me to the sport
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: