November 25, 2017, 06:55:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chase?  (Read 4773 times)
sally
« on: July 24, 2004, 01:59:40 AM »

I don't know about anyone else, but NBC/TNT have had race coverage for 2 weeks, and I'm already tired of their hard sell of the "countdown" to the final 10 races!!!!!  I wish that some one could organise a boycott...the next race at NH...the first "final 10", and turn off the TV to let Nascar know what we think of this stupid Crapshoot!
Sally :?
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 05:50:23 AM »

I know that the cutoff point for the "Chase" is still 8 races away, but I think it's ridiculous that half the drivers in the top 10 are over 400 points behind the leader. The "Chase"'s premise was all of the top 10 and anybody else within 400 points. There's problem #1.

Here's problem #2: Bobby Labonte and Kevin Harvick are 6th and 8th...with no wins. McSwain just got fired, and it takes awhile for a driver and a new crew chief, so I don't see that "0" in Bobby's win column changing anytime soon, which, of course, sucks because I like Bobby. Harvick, meanwhile, can go crawl in a hole.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, if NASCAR must have this dumb "Chase", then it needs to make some major adjustments: only drivers within 400 points of the leader are in, and anyone with no wins is automatically disqualified from "Chase" eligibility...even if they're in second, one point behind the leader at the cutoff point.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 08:51:56 AM »

Darrell Waltrip has  suggested that all drivers that have won a race this year should be eligible for the Chase, regardless of their position in the standings.  That's a modification of Michael's post.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
sally
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 12:21:26 PM »

If Brian France knew anything about the "entertainment" he runs, he would know that only once in 30 years has there been more than 10 drivers within 400 points of the leader with 10 races left to run (whatever the point system used).  When Tony Stewart won the title, there were 12 drivers within that range.  And his bif deal was that as many as 20 drivers could  be eligible?  Right.  
Sally :?
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 05:41:47 AM »

Quote from: "Desmond"
Darrell Waltrip has  suggested that all drivers that have won a race this year should be eligible for the Chase, regardless of their position in the standings.  That's a modification of Michael's post.

Eh, a tad skeptical about that.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 05:01:21 AM »

Once again, we are placing importance on wins instead of consistency.  BLab and Harvick are in the top 10 because they have finished consistently.

Isn't the whole thing that got us into this mess the fact that Matt Keseth won the championship with only one win?  If we start focusing more and more on wins, where does that put us with consistency?  Getting the job done, week after week, without a win certainly requires as much hard work as winning one race.

Why don't we just do away with the whole points system and give the championship to the person with the most wins?  And if two drivers are tied for wins, we can look at past winners or perhaps more poles?  

It isn't all about winning races, and it shouldn't be.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2004, 04:01:56 PM »

I liked the point system the way it was.  If they want to acknowledge wins more, than give them additional points for a win.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2004, 04:59:21 PM »

I completely agree with you.  I don't think wins shouldn't count, but I do believe that running consistently in the top ten or top five week after week could and should get you a championship, as it did Matt Kenseth.  And I really hope Matt wins this year just to show 'em.
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 06:06:07 PM »

Well you know whoever does win they will constantly have to deal with the "if this was the old system, you would not have won" argument.  So I hope the winner would have won under either system which means about now that would be Jimmie, Junior or Jeff depending on how they race these last 18 races.  The others I think are too far back to overtake all three of them unless they all simultaneously implode. (As you can tell from my name you know who I am rooting for :wink: )

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

Vivian
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 08:10:26 PM »

Yes, all the hype about the "Chase" to the "Chase" and then the "Chase for the Championship" is being rammed down our throats at a very fast pace.  I am already tired of it as I can see they are focusing on just a few drivers.  Staci, like you I hate it that consistancy is out and other stuff is in.  I think it was Jamie McMurray on Wind Tunnel (someone correct me if I am wrong) that said he thinks the leaders losing all those points is just bad.  He did not seem to like the chase plan.  (I'm also sure others don't like it but they are afraid to say so.)  And I don't think it was because of where he is in points.  Did anyone else see him?  He made another good point.  Being young is good and he is gonna try his hardest because it won't be like the "old" days when drivers stayed around forever.  He said it won't be that long before they are looking for someone younger than the current young drivers and they will be lucky if their career lasts 5 years.  This is not verbatim, just as I remember from last week.  He is one smart young man and seems to have his focus right and plans for the future going in the right direction.  

Beth, you made a good point also about having to live with whether or not they would have won under the old system.
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2004, 12:49:48 AM »

Absolutely true!!  I agree that I too, hope whoever wins would have won either way.  Course, if that does happen, I can only imagine what they are going to do to "make it more exciting" for next year.  Oy.
John
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2004, 01:38:48 PM »

I agree with the idea of giving more points to the winner, even 25 points ahead of 2nd place and spread out the points for the top 10 to give more incentive to go after that next position.  They should also give less points for the cars that end up getting wrecked and then go out after getting "duck taped" just to make laps.  Hopefully that would help keep those drivers out of the road of the leaders.

Whether you like the new points system or not, it's there.  We can't expect NBC/TNT to ignore it.  They didn't ignore the old system for the last couple of years and they even played it up when there was nothing to talk about.  It is the same idea as something happening with Tony Stewart or some other news story, they are going to give it attention because that is what the "big story" is.

I guess it was designed to create interest in a championship challenge earlier in the season, which it has.  When was the last time you talked about a championship in the middle of the season?  Under the old system, the most that would be talked about at this point was who had such a bad season that they are out of it now.

Also, this isn't the only time in NASCAR that there has been a change in points systems.  It's just that the old one was in place for about 24 years.  In 1972, Richard Petty won with 8701.40 points!  How did they figure the ".40" points?  And I'm sure that when the current, old system came into existance, people would have been asking the first champion (whom I think was Richard Petty in 1975?), well if this was the old system ... .

Vivian, I saw Jamie on Wind Tunnell and I like his openness about current events and especially the way does not like to go on about his sponsors instead of telling reporters how his car was or the things we really want to hear.

Trying to keep an open mind to the new system, what I find interesting is how the different teams are getting ready for the last 10 races.  But who knows what is going to happen until November rolls around.  And chances are that this current system will be adjusted if NASCAR gets poked in that direction.

ommy Baldwin after Tropicana 400:  "This is NASCAR's world, we just live in it."
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2004, 02:46:54 PM »

Quote from: "John"
When was the last time you talked about a championship in the middle of the season?  Under the old system, the most that would be talked about at this point was who had such a bad season that they are out of it now.

I guess I must be the odd one then, cause I always watched the points every race until November, even if the leader had a big lead, I still found it interesting to see how 2-whatever were doing.  Or I just watch each race to enjoy the competition for that win.  

Also, exactly how many points is the winner getting this year?  I know they are awarding them more, but neither TV network even mentions it anymore.  I asked Lou the other day and neither one of us could remember.  I think it is 15 or 20 extra for winnig this year.  Talk about the TV networks dropping the ball on that tidbit!

Cheryl
sally
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 03:35:14 PM »

How teams are getting ready for the Crapshoot?  The top 3 are using the last 7 races as test sessions, since they don't have to worry about dropping out of the top 10.  Jr could have sat out the last race..or Pocono, for that matter, and not changed the standings significantly.

Like Cheryl, I watched every race of every season, no matter what the points positions.  I watch because I like to watch racing.  The championship os almost secondary to good, hard racing.  Those days are long gone, never to return.
Sally
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 04:05:39 PM »

A win is now worth five extra points.  This is much fewer than I expected when NASCAR first hinted that they would change the points system.

However, this is not as bad as resetting the points after Race 26, so that a 10th-place driver way back in the points is now just 45 points behind the leader.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: