November 21, 2017, 04:46:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to Top-35 Rule Analyzed  (Read 584 times)
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« on: July 23, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »

Well let's hope in all of NA$CAR "studying the situation" they come up with some fair resolution to the stupid top 35 rule, but I doubt it...  From Jayski:

"Amid growing unrest among team owners on the wrong side of NASCAR's rule guaranteeing the top 35 teams spots in each Nextel Cup field, a Charlotte Observer analysis of several potential alterations leads to the same conclusion. In the first 10 races this season, traditional qualifying was held eight times. The exceptions were the Daytona 500, which has its own procedure, and at Texas, where qualifying was rained out. For the eight races in which traditional qualifying was held, 8.1% of the cars making the fields would have changed if NASCAR had allowed in the fastest 43. Only 7.6% would have differed if the top 12 teams were exempt, and it would've been only 6.4% if the top 25 were exempt. If NASCAR were using its old format, with 36 cars qualifying on speed and seven provisionals, there would have been a 3.5% difference. If the rules had been different early this year, #55-Michael Waltrip would have had the most to gain under virtually any scenario. He missed all eight races analyzed would have made five of those with no exemptions, 12 exemptions or 25 exemptions. At the same time, those tweaks would have knocked Kyle Petty and Robby Gordon out of as many as four races they made, depending on which change had been employed.(Charlotte Observer)(7-23-2007)"

Cheryl
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:07:28 PM »

That gives me an idea for a question: which system would you prefer: only the top 25 teams locked in, only the top 12, no exceptions (in other words, the fastest 43 cars period), or leave it the way it is?

Personally, I prefer no exceptions, but I would accept a compromise of the top-25.  Any system that allows smaller, less successful, or newer teams to have a better chance to qualify is the main idea.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:28:21 PM »

What is wrong with qualifying and the top 42 who qualify on time get in the race leaving one provisional for the latest past champion with a limit of 5 and then it can go to another one who needs it?
super61
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:34:03 PM »

Viv, i agree with you. the 42 fastest, throw out the past champions thing tho, the last spot should go to any non toyota team

ken
shawn
Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:16:02 AM »

I like the idea of taking the fastest 43 cars, though I do think that would require having at least 2 rounds of qualifying.  That would allow a team who had a problem, have a 2nd chance. 

NHRA has no provisionals, and every big name funny car driver (Force, Capps, Scezli, etc) has not qualified for at least one race this year and no one complains about that, so NASCAR should be able to do it.

Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 05:45:58 PM »

I like the idea of taking the fastest 43 cars, though I do think that would require having at least 2 rounds of qualifying.  That would allow a team who had a problem, have a 2nd chance.

Not likely.  I understand that the second round of qualifying was eliminated for the 2001 season because the TV partners in the new centralized contract didn't want it.  Instead, they put their focus on "happy hour," which takes less time to show.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Vivian
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:45:06 PM »

Shawn, I have to disagree on two qual rounds and the 2nd chance thing.  To me that is the main thing I see in locking the top 35 in.  Their lock in denotes a second chance to me if they had problems qualifying so that would not alleviate the problem.  The 2nd chance thing also is kind of like that first lap down getting a lap back.  These drivers already have had too many 2nd chances as I see it. Undecided

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: