November 18, 2017, 11:23:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comments on TV Coverage from Chicago  (Read 620 times)
sally
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:59:40 PM »

Monty Dutton had to watchthe race on tV...and he feels our pain.  Anyone who says that Joliet should have two races should be immediately be shot...or locked in a padded room!

http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/dallenbach_7211___article.html/tire_interview.html

Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:36:22 PM »

Sally,

I split this post off from the one in "race talk" since it's really about the TV coverage.

Cheryl
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 09:42:53 PM »

Monte said:

"Iím sure itís not the way they mean it, but it sounds as if they donít think the viewers have enough sense to decide for themselves what is good and what isnít, what is funny and what isnít, what is insightful and what isnít."

So GLAD someone is willing to speak up and say this besides us mere fans! 

Then he said:

"I have always been a Dallenbach fan as an analyst, but Iíve never thought he was particularly well used. Heís articulate, and heís gutsy..."

Dallenbach has what most of his colleagues lack: honesty. Guys like McReynolds and Darrell Waltrip always appear to have an agenda. The complete disregard that television executives seem to have for conflict of interest is stunning. Too many of these guys sound not only as if theyíre owned by NASCAR but paid for by a few others. Thatís not the case with Dallenbach, and it didnít seem to be the case with his partner, Kyle Petty, who will return to the driverís seat next week. "

Amen, Monte!  I think Wally is the best former driver in the booth since Ned Jarrett and his low-key style gets overlooked after all the "look at me" attitude from so many others.  He's not there to cheerlead for his family members or employees and doesn't have any sponsors to plug.  To me, that only adds to his credibility.  As I always say, perhaps not being a former champion or "top" crew chief makes for more honest and self-aggrandizing commentary?

Thanks for posting the link, Sally!

Cheryl
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:46:33 PM by Cheryl » Logged
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »

Agreed, Cheryl. I also noticed Larry Mac's comment about the "cut tire". I wondered what purpose that remark had as well, but I probably should refrain from trying to think like Larry Mac anyhow. Grin

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 10:49:32 PM »

Agreed, Cheryl. I also noticed Larry Mac's comment about the "cut tire".

What gets me is that Goodyear always claims it's not the tire, so why should anyone believe that???  And why does TV have to be their shills?

Cheryl
old hot rodder
All-Star

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 11:29:10 PM »

But it is all about the money these days, and that means keeping the sponsors happy, whether it is Nextel, Goodyear, Toyota or whoever. Sad

"Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does"
William James
cowboy271
Grizzled Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 02:52:02 AM »

Maybe this should be in a new thread, but I agree with Monte regarding Kyle Petty.  I really appreciate an announcer "calling it as they see it".  I find it refreshing to hear broadcasters refer to "driver abc:" making a great move or pit stop without having to mention "his Impala, Fusion, Camray, etc." as though it made the move.

I'm keeping with NASCAR's theme.."Idiot of Tomorrow" so Speedcouch needs a new resident idiot.
Desmond
All-Star

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »

As always, Dutton gives me food for thought. Smiley

I have heard that there have been far fewer complaints about Hoosier, Goodrich, and other tires used in stock-car racing than about Goodyears.  So why doesn't NASCAR switch to another brand? 

As always, it has to do with the money.  Goodyear simply paid more.

Buddy Wayne Barefoot, unhappy with Baby Brian's handiwork, finds his true passion.Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: