November 18, 2017, 12:43:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trendy...  (Read 1848 times)
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« on: July 21, 2004, 02:34:23 AM »

I hate to admit it, but I like to read Cosmo.  I don't buy into any of the stuff in there, but it's mostly entertaining and usually pretty funny.

In every issue of Cosmo, they have a list of what is "tired" and wht is "trendy".  After reading this months, I let out a sigh of disgust...

Under "tired" was "NBA".  Under "trendy" was, of course, "Nascar".

Trendy.  Perhaps this is what I was getting at when I mistakenly used the words "new fan" in the other thread.  I didn't know what else to use, and apparently I picked wrong.  I thought that I explained what I meant, but perhaps not.  I will try again.

I AM  NEW FAN, by everyone's definition.  I've only been watching and following since 1999, which definitely does not classify me as an "old fan".  But for those of us who really care about Nascar and what is happening to it, I don't really think it matters how long we have been watching.  We watch because we love it, because we care about our drivers, because the sport is more than just entertainment.

Beth, by how adamantly you get offended by the term of new fans, you  don't really qualify as what I am talking about as "new fans" when I type it.  I can see that you care about the sport, that you didn't just start watching because it is "trendy" and that you aren't going to stop following it when it falls under Cosmo's "tired" list.  I understand why you get upset, because you think that we are just stereo-typin all newer fans, and perhaps I am, but it is only for lack of a better term.  It really doesn't matter to me how long you have been watching the sport, because it is obvious that you care about it, and I suppose I have mistakenly just given us honorary "old fan" status.  

I feel as if I have been watching forever.  I have watched enough replays of old races to actually feel like I saw them the first time and it saddens me to know that I won't see races on some of these tracks anymore because the real Cosmo followers don't think they are cool enough.  It angers me that we are having to cater to some people's pasing whims, and that once the attention and the trend dies out, we will have lost a lot of the history and tradition for nothing.  Once these people don't think Nascar is "In" anymore, will it all really have been worth it?

So, once again, I apologize for offending.  Sometimes I just get so caught up with the irritation from all of these changes that I just tend to type without thinking.  I am sure it was not just "new fans" who were throwing trash, I just didn't want to say "If you were one of the idiots...." but I suppose that term better describes them.

Staci, (a real fan, not just a passing fancy) :roll:
Michael
Veteran

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 06:33:31 AM »

Quote from: "marrtinigirl"
Under "tired" was "NBA".  Under "trendy" was, of course, "Nascar".

Trendy? You know, I kinda had feeling it would become a trend. And the NBA, tired? Pfft. A lot of folks (including me) will tell you that the Finals between Detroit and the L.A. Lakers call that Final the finest in years...because the Lakers lost.

But back to the trendy thing. I thought to myself while riding in a car a couple of years ago, "I bet NASCAR will become a trend." Seriously. It has.
Vivian
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 08:36:02 PM »

Staci, you made some very good points.  Maybe we "old fans" and some of the "new fans" should be called "True or Real Fans" as it is the sport itself which we seem to be in fear of losing.  I personally don't like it when some of the fans who have only followed the sport for a few years are put into that category.  New fan is just a bad way to describe everyone because there are too many types that make up that misnomer.  I believe you and Beth both are "True Fans".  Entertainment is good, but to all of us "True or Real Fans" (no matter how long we have been watching), we love it for the racing and competition.  It isn't that we object to all of the changes, it is just that we feel we are losing the "real" competition along with the "history" that brought us to Nascar to begin with.  Seems like every program now is starting to refer to it as entertainment for the fans, but they don't grasp that there are different types and classes of fans.

I hope this makes sense.   :?
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 01:31:36 AM »

Vivian, you make perfect sense.  Actually, said to Sally this morning that a better word would have been "true" fans as opposed to the "Trendies."  It was what I have been trying to get at everytime I use the term "New fan"  I just haadn't found the right words.  So, in some respect, I am sort of grateful to Cosmo for supplying me with what I was looking for so that I can quit inadvertantly offending people.  I made the mistake in assuming that everyone here would know that I wasn't talking about them when I made the incorrect generalization, but no one can read my mind.  Hell, I can't even decipher the crap that floats around in there sometimes, i don't know why I would think anyone else could.  lol

But seriously, thank you for helping me to make my point.  I'm just glad I made some sense. :oops:
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 03:55:50 PM »

I do appreciate all of you understanding my apprehension (for lack of a better word) when I see someone say new fan.  I also tend to be a little too sensitive about it and I am sorry for that.  i am working on it.  One of the good things about being a newer fan is I am not so tied to the old rules, ways, etc.  I understand why NASCAR has moved races west, and yes part of it is because I am a benefactor of those moves.  I live in Phoenix and do not have the money to travel east three or four times a year to see a race.  This year I am excited because I get to go to three races - Phoenix, Vegas and the two California races.  Next year - even more.

I think if NASCAR is to grow they need to move races all over the US to give everyone the opportunity to see races live.  It just is no longer a regional sport and we must accept that - which is easier for me - I realize that.

I wish that I could say I felt the same way as a big portion of fans who were mad and sad that Rockingham closed or that the Southern 500 was moved.  I can understand where they were coming from but I did not feel the same sadness.  But then again I was always one to live in the present and look to the future.  I am not one to hold on to the past for tradition sake and am willing to give something new a try.  I know part of the problem is the tracks that are getting new races are not seen as "good" tracks, but having attended California the last two years, I can tell you that the racing is getting better.  Maybe as the track ages it too will become "good".  At least give it a chance.  That is what I say.

Now as for the C4C - that I don't like.  I think the old system with a few changes would have been fine.  More points for winning, and same points for finishing 25th or worse, but keep the year long systen vs. this 10 race championship.

OK - I am done going on and on this morning.  Better get some racing going or I might write a book..lol.

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2004, 05:02:29 PM »

I don't mind changes either, and I am not tied to tradition for the sake of tradition.  It just worries me that the changes are being made for the wrong reasons.

I agree that racing needs to expand across the country, but I don't think it is fair that some tracks get two race dates and other tracks lose theirs all together.  I live in Michigan and wouldn't mind if that track lost both races.  Lol.  I think it is great that more people are getting the opportunity to attend races, I just wish they would build more interesting tracks.  I am sad to see Rockingham and Darlington go because some of the best racing occurred on those tracks, not because of the tradition.  It just seems like they keep building the tracks the same because it is quicker to get them built that way if they don't have to put a lot of thought into it.  The blueprints are quite similar.  It's as if they think if they change a few things here and there, no one will notice.

And I worry that when the trend does die out, and the fans that are only watching because it is cool at the moment quit watching, where does that leave everything?  I, too, am looking to the future, but in order to do that, unfortunately, you have to look at the past when it comes to trends.

Sure, everyone can say that no matter what, the sport will go on, and that is true.  But once these trendies stop watching, what then?  In the course of all of this, the sport has lost a lot of the old "traditionalists", which at this point, we can safely say "Well, you weren't really a true fan if you left" but when the trendies are gone and the traditionalists are gone, I worry as to what gimmicks Nascar will come up with to try to make it shiny and new and cool again.  Know what I mean?

It isn't just the new tracks, and it isn't just the C4C, or the g/w/c, it is a combination of all that worries me.  It seems like everytime one of the trendy groups say they don't like something, it gets changed.  It started with the red flag races, then the g/w/c, what's next?  We vote on who we think should win the race?  Or the Championship?

I realize I am being ridiculous.  Or am I?  I hope so.

But I don't disagree with you.  We need to expand, I just think they should be a little more thoughtful with how they do it and why they are doing it.  I am glad that Nascar has grown and become more popular, that I am guaranteed to see a race whenever it is on and a replay later in the week when I miss it.  I just hope that they just don't try so hard to outdo themselves and stay cool that the whole point isn't lost.

Did I make any sense?  My novel will be available soon on Amazon.com.  Lol.

Staci
BAM24/25
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2004, 05:25:38 PM »

I agree Staci.  Perhaps they should have given the September date to Pikes Peak instead of California.  I will be selfish a little and say I am glad Phoenix has two races cause that is home for me and does not require an overnight stay for me.  And I also agree too much change so quickly can be scary.  I guess my point is I read alot of these boards and some just go on and on about it.  I think there is a time when you either have to accept it and enjoy what they present or move on.  I too do not want to see NASCAR become the WWF.  Only time will tell.  In the meantime I intend to enjoy watching and attending the races, and hope I don't get caught up in the negative mindset that some display.  This after all is supposed to be FUN, not frustrating or annoying.

With that said,  I am SO ready for this weekend. Cheesy

You can't beat what you can't catch!"

marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 04:37:06 AM »

I agree as well, and i have no choice but to accept it.  Just every now and then (more often than not lately) I have to vent or I will blow up!!  And that would just be way too messy for the computer!!

Can't wait for some real race action this weekend.  Hopefully there will be no need for the g/w/c.  Let's hope.
sally
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 04:02:59 PM »

Monte Dutton summed it up brilliantly for me:

http://www.gastongazette.com/Portal/ASP/sports/nascar/nascarDisplay.asp?ID=1058
Sally :?
marrtinigirl
Wiley Veteran

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 04:27:36 PM »

Yes!!  Great article Sal.  We have to accept it, but we don't have to love it just because Brian France said we would.
Vivian
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 12:07:35 AM »

Staci, you were definitely on my mind last night when Wind Tunnel was on and also one night last week.  Just forgot to mention it the next day.  

One night last week Dave had a Cosmo on the show and mentioned that it mentioned "Trendy" when it came to Nascar.  Well, last night he got an email and related it to the uninformed (Dave's word) "trendy" fans we now have.  Did anyone see the show?  If not, the email was from someone named Richard and he wrote that he had heard that Jeremy Mayfield was leaving Roush Racing and would be replaced in the #16 car by Ricky Craven and asked if it were true.  I think it was just a big farce email but Dave took it to heart, I think and just answered, "No." and dropped it.  People can't really be that dumb, can they?   :roll:

And that was my laugh for the night.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
sally
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2004, 01:19:33 AM »

Vivian, it's always a mistake to underestimate the stupidity of people.  I saw the show, and agree that Dave was disgusted that those sort of stupid things are even going around.  On the other hand, I think it proves the quality of many of those new, "trendy" fans that Brian France wants so badly.  That level of expertise is the reason that the crapshoot may go over big, whether the long term fans like it or not.  It gives the stick and ball media something to talk about, since they can understand "who is gonna make the top 10", when they have no concept of what it takes (took) to win a championship over an entire season.  They don't have to know anything about racing to talk about points.
Sally
Cheryl
Hall of Fame

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 12:25:18 PM »

Quote from: "Vivian"
If not, the email was from someone named Richard and he wrote that he had heard that Jeremy Mayfield was leaving Roush Racing and would be replaced in the #16 car by Ricky Craven and asked if it were true.  I think it was just a big farce email but Dave took it to heart, I think and just answered, "No." and dropped it.  People can't really be that dumb, can they?   :roll:

Yes, they can, but it's not confined to the newer fans.  I can't tell you how many times I've talked to folks live at races who have no clue who is in half the cars out there.  They only know their driver and a couple of the other "big" names and don't have a clue about the Greg Biffles or Ricky Craven's of the world.

Cheryl
ronbarnes77
Legend

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2004, 03:21:39 PM »

how can he replaced mayfield inthe #16 when he drives the #19.these e-mails are put out by rumormongers to start trouble and to draw attention.
Vivian
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2004, 08:00:51 PM »

I think it was his way to get on the show by asking such an absurd question.  There are so many emails sent it and Dave says you have to have a gimmick to get on the show.  First reaction was, "What?" but after thinking about it, I thought well, he got on the show.   :roll:

BTW, Ron, you caught the car # diff but what about the owner bit??  :twisted:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: